Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Amplifier ??

Options
  • 10-08-2006 10:35pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know this is more computer-ish but thought I'd ask here.

Need a 6-way TV amplifier for a new extension/new co-ax sockets.

any makes/models to suggest ??

thx

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maxview seem pretty good though may be a bit more expensive than others.

Never had any issues with Labgear distribution amps either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I have used a Fringe electronics 25db (I think- its in the attic and not that easy to see) in line amplifier and 2 x 8 way non powered splitters (can't remember the make but they were't expensive!) to give an RF signal to 15 TV outlets. This system was recommended by a guy who wires up tv systems in hotels as being suitable and a much cheaper option than going with the powered amps and splitters in one. If you ask in any TV shop where they also fit aerials they will have something suitable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So if I have 8 TV points and want to split the SKY satellite, Terristrial and Free satellite between all these,

I presume I can use an 8 way box and wire in the terrestrial TV aerial and feeds from the 2 satellites?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

yop wrote:
    So if I have 8 TV points and want to split the SKY satellite, Terristrial and Free satellite between all these,

I presume I can use an 8 way box and wire in the terrestrial TV aerial and feeds from the 2 satellites?

yes, connect the terrestial aerial into antenna input on first sat box,
    then connect antenna output on that sat box to antenna input on sky box,
    then sky output goes to amp / splitter then 8 TVs

if you're gonna try using a TV link or other control device that relies on the coax to send signals, than you need to be sure the splitter/amp is compatible or install a bypass thingy

see:-

control your sky digibox from another room
    http://www.letsautomate.com/10570.cfm?

control vcr / dvd / other satellite etc...
    http://www.letsautomate.com/11067.cfm?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Avns1s wrote:
    I have used a Fringe electronics 25db (I think- its in the attic and not that easy to see) in line amplifier and 2 x 8 way non powered splitters (can't remember the make but they were't expensive!) to give an RF signal to 15 TV outlets. This system was recommended by a guy who wires up tv systems in hotels as being suitable and a much cheaper option than going with the powered amps and splitters in one. If you ask in any TV shop where they also fit aerials they will have something suitable.
    Yup, that system you used is best when you've loads of tails to connect. Less issues with cross modulation etc than you would have with a few distribution amps in sequence!

Otherwise, a standard 8way or 6way distrib. amp is adequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

byte wrote:
    Yup, that system you used is best when you've loads of tails to connect. Less issues with cross modulation etc than you would have with a few distribution amps in sequence!

Otherwise, a standard 8way or 6way distrib. amp is adequate.
    Yes Byte, True to a point. Still had to use a notch filter to knock down the RTE's and TG4 as they are so strong in my area. It was ghosting a little when passed through the amp.#

EDIT Agree though that the 6 or 8 way is certainly the simple way to go. I've not priced these in a while but if I recall correctly, the 6 and 8 way amps are expensive.

Advertisement