Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any1 see weird insects this summer

Options
  • 11-08-2006 1:56am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    just wondering if anyone has come across any weird insects that they have not seen before? I have seen a few one in particular last month. It was a pretty large insect which flew from flower to flower without landing (like a humming bird) and extracted the pollen using a long spike (don't know name of it) . to describe him/her ???? it had large moth like wings head bit like a mouse (it was not a bat) and size and colour of a very large brown moth!

would love to know if anyone knows, what it was?
    I would love to hear of any other weird insects seen as i think there are more unusual bugs flyin around bbbbiiiiiiuuuuooooozzzzzzzzzz

artieanna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It may have been a Hummingbird Hawk Moth.

The good folk over in the Nature / Bridwatching forum may be able to help too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Thats him hill billy thanks a million for the link.
    it says they only in particular parts of England, I wonder is it rare to see them in west of Ireland where i live. I know i never saw one before and it was an amazing sight.

Thanks again
    artieanna

Advertisement