Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conroe overclock

Options
  • 11-08-2006 6:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone overclocked their conroe yet?
    i have a e6600, Asus P5W DH Deluxe, G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400
    the best i can get stable is 3.24
    my fsb is at 360 and i was hoping to get it to 400 :(
    i think its a bad sign i had to set the vcore to 1.55 to even get that stable.
    still its a damn fast cpu, 1m super pi in just under 16 seconds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Post benchies? Not got mine yet. :mad: Might cheer me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

got a couple of questions for you Tuxy...
    what kind of cooling are you using?
    what memory timings do you have with that RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

bambam wrote:
    got a couple of questions for you Tuxy...
    what kind of cooling are you using?
    what memory timings do you have with that RAM?

Ditto, also (pog will like me asking this ;)) what PSU do you have? How are you overclocking the CPU, are you turning everything else down first (I don't actually know what you have to turn down as i'm used to AMD) also you might check what other people are getting with that mobo and BIOS. There may be some things on your mobo that are affected by your increased FSB, like you PCI's or your SATA connectors if they are unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

vMCH - 1.65
    Vcore - 1.55
    memory voltage 2.3
    PCI - 33Mhz
    PCI-E - 110
    Hyper path 3
    memory timing 4-4-4-5-15

scythe ninja heatsink for cooling
    will post more info when i have time
    what benchmarks would you like me to run?
    i have mostly been enjoying the 150-200 fps i get in css :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I get 180fps with my rig 2. That's playing the game at 1280*1024 and doing that test you can do when in cs:s.

• Advertisement

What gpu you using? I thought 3dmark06 would be loads higher (6k+). I'm gettin 4315 with 3ghz p4 (no oc) & 7900gt in a ****ty Dell, look: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=355601
    Post orb url's. Run 3dmark 05 aswell.
    Whats stock voltage for that ram? How high did you get it to clock on stock voltages, before having to increase voltage. Others got to nearly 3ghz on stock voltages. Is your ram at 1:1?

i only have a 1800xt 256mb
    how does your cpu score in 3d mark compare to what i get?

Run the test again and upload to online results browser, then give it a name & click to publish it. you'll get a compare url then. you can just click on my link & it'll compare to yours.
    I aint got my conroe yet, my scores are on an old pentium 4 prescott. Your score seems very low with conroe. Post your compare url here so i can have a gawk. Run cpu-z and post a screenshot of it. Open it twice in the same desktop & click on the memory tab in the second cpu-z to show memory settings.

something like this:
    1ax7.th.gif

ok here it is
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=427572
    3d mark gives its main score based on 3d card and i think a 7900gt is ment to be faster then a x1800xt but check out the difference in cpu score.

Demolishes my cpu score. :D

Have you hit a wall with that oc? Try putting the ram on a divider (shouldn't need to yet but just try). That mobo should do over 400fsb no probs. Peeps on ocuk forum got 420fsb on that mobo. Somethings holding you back. I'll have a look round now.

Edits:
    :eek: Someone got a 100% oc: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17611910

Oh, another thing. do you have the latest bios 0507? Here: ftp://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/s...P/P5BD0507.zip

Might find something useful ere or something you missed: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17611001

HERE: Answers to all probs with that mobo: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110193
    FSB Wall at around 360-370 fsb - Enable SPD timings option in Chipset section of bios.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

damn you tuxy to hell!!! i want my conroe! i got another email yesterday saying it was only depatched then.. i will have it on monday and hopfuly have everying running perfecty on wednesday.. good luck all with your overclocking

damn you tuxy to hell!!! i want my conroe! i got another email yesterday saying it was only depatched then.. i will have it on monday and hopfuly have everying running perfecty on wednesday.. good luck all with your overclocking

Mine's in Ireland. Wonder if gls couriers will give it out to me if i ring in morn & call 2 depot. Depot 4 west is Knock airport, my mams house is 4 miles from it. Its only 20 miles from where i live. want it now...........cry........sob........sob :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Mine's in Ireland. Wonder if gls couriers will give it out to me if i ring in morn & call 2 depot. Depot 4 west is Knock airport, my mams house is 4 miles from it. Its only 20 miles from where i live. want it now...........cry........sob........sob :mad:

*back in few hours going to the VILLAGE (jumps on horse and cart ) lol

well woulld rather live in ross then mayo :D

awhir wrote:
    *back in few hours going to the VILLAGE (jumps on horse and cart ) lol

well woulld rather live in ross then mayo :D

Born in Dublin, actually. :D

Where's Claregalway? Pimple on the arse of Galway.

i have totally hit a wall at this speed :(
    ram divider does not help
    i can get into windows at 380 fsb if i up the vcore to 1.6 but prime fails after a few seconds
    it was a bad sign that i had to up the vcore so much to even get to 3.2 ghz.
    i hope you guys have more luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

damn, my conroe would have been despatched on wed if the mobo was there... Going to get a zalman cooling there early next week. Now on komplett saying that the order is being picked atm, so it's either just being despatched or waiting to be. So i;m happy :D now gotta make sure someone is here to collect it. I'll post up benchies when I get it :D

Tuxy, did you try the Asus mobo fixes forum i posted above.

Should have my conroe mon morn. got 2 raptors on fri, delivery man has my no. He's ringin me mon morn so i can meet him & collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Born in Dublin, actually. :D

Where's Claregalway? Pimple on the arse of Galway.

sorry man for taking the piss.and accutaly claregalway is 15min away from galway iner city.

:rolleyes: Know well where it is. Should flatten the town & build a proper road. Get held up there every time i head to galway. Lived in Galway for 4 yrs. only moved down ere to ros 18 mths ago.

thanks for all the links pog
    i tried the fix's and im using latest bios 1101 and still no good
    its prime stable at 360 fsb but falls over after 5 seconds on 370 fsb

iv been reading the ocuk forums and i think im using the same setting as people who get 3.6 ghz +, but maybe there is something iv missed.

edit: one weird thing that happens when i set fsb to 370+ the scroll lock light on my keyboard keeps flashing:confused:

• Advertisement

Did you try bringin your Pci-e back nearer to 100/101? Thats what i found recommended somewhere. There's a new version of clockgen out, maybe worth a try.
    Maybe your unlucky & thats your limit. :mad:

There are loads of probs with gettin the Dfi mobo i got over 380fsb also. Hope a future bios flash will sort that out. The dfi is the 1 of the fastest boards at 380fsb, but other boards go a little higher. Bios allows for v high voltages. Cant wait to get this beast runnin.
    How are your temps at 3.2ghz?

Be callin for help myself if i get stuck :D

Edit: seems to be a big difference between the engineering samples and the retail. Not many gettin over 4ghz out of E6600 unlike all the hype created before they were released.

just tired pci-e 101 and no change. also tried clockgen and prime still fails after a few second if i set fsb to 370 in that .
    im running out of things to try so it looks like i got a bad cpu :(

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

just tired pci-e 101 and no change. also tried clockgen and prime still fails after a few second if i set fsb to 370 in that .
    im running out of things to try so it looks like i got a bad cpu

:confused:

300mhz faster than the flagship processer, how do you have a bad CPU? stop complaining and go play some games:p

conzymaher wrote:
    :confused:

300mhz faster than the flagship processer, how do you have a bad CPU? stop complaining and go play some games:p

:rolleyes: Yep, clock the gpu also & get playin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

1 more day to go :D ... post some benchies at the stock speeds.. lets see how much we can push/poke this beast :)

tuxy.. just interested to know how you updated the bios on the mobo for conroe .. did you use an old cpu or did asus send you a bios chip.. i ended up using a friends p4 :D he really didnt like me opening up his pc and stealing his cpu:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

¬

conzymaher wrote:

ya you're right . maybe the people getting higher clocks were using engineering samples.

tuxy wrote:
    ya you're right . maybe the people getting higher clocks were using engineering samples.

Ya, I worked it out @ 33% oc, not as bad as it looks.

Advertisement