Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Rifle Without Going Through Dealer

Options
  • 11-08-2006 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I'm selling my rifle to a buddy of mine. I believe I can do this without involving a firearms dealer. This is how I plan to proceed:-

I will issue my friend with a letter stating that I as legal owner of firearm serial number XXXX has agreed to sell to Mr. X said firearm.

He will then approach his local station with letter and get licence issued.

Once he has licence issued I will get a letter frm him stating that he has purchased rifle from me.

As we now are both legally entitled to have the rifle I will hand it to him.

I will then go to my local station with thr letter of purchase from my friend along with a photocopy of his licence. I will then request my my licence to be cancelled.

Under current laws does anyone see any problem with this? Has anyone ever carried this out?

thanks,
    Packas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

It has worked for me in the past.

I am not sure if the Gardai will do it now, they seem to tend to push everything towards a dealer now out my neck of the woods.

Try it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

It's entirely legal, and should work bar some silly local policy is in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Thanks lads. Do yiu have any idea what section of what law I should quote them when they say I have to go through a dealer?

Packas.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

packas wrote:
    Thanks lads. Do yiu have any idea what section of what law I should quote them when they say I have to go through a dealer?

Packas.

That's the point; there is no such section. Ask the Guard to quote it.

Don't see how they can stop you, except by harassing you on some other technicality.

Worked for me, except I haven't cancelled my existing licence yet, as I plan to put another rifle of same calibre & type on it. Have to wait & see how that goes.

Sandy.

Advertisement