Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you keep track/backup your database?

Options
  • 11-08-2006 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just taken over a site, and done a complete overhaul. The main thing I implemented was that all of the site info is now on a mySQL db instead of static html pages. I want to start doing frequent backups (just in case), but how does everyone else do it?

a. weekly export from phpMyAdmin?
    b. leave it to the hosting crowd to mind?
    c. some fancy script to backup?
    d. something else?

Any help is much apreciated
    dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Does the server have cpanel or some other server management tool?

If so you can use the DB backup tools that come with these.

You need to keep a backup offserver. If the DB is not to large it can be a good idea to email it to your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

The server does have the control panel, but no automation of the backup...dont really want to go to it every week and manually backup, just really want it to backup everyday without my interferance...any way this can be done??

cheers,
    dave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You could schedule backups with MySQL Administrator which can be downloaded here. Its under GNU General Public License so it won't cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

cool, i will take a look at it...cheers

Advertisement