Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football tonight

• 11-08-2006 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Get to eyeball some plasma-free action...
    Pick of the night is, of course, in Bray :p

NATIONAL LEAGUE - Premier Division: First Division:
    • Athlone v Dundalk, St Mel's Park, 7.45
    • Galway United v Finn Harps, Terryland Park, 7.45.

Irish League Cup - Group Stage:
    • Newry v Donegal Celtic
    • Coleraine v Dungannon Swifts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have never dreaded a City game as much as tonight. We are playing crap, no George, No Flynn (out for the remainder of the season :rolleyes: ). Behan and Fenn upfront are hardly prolific. Shels on the other hand are playing the best they have ever played, and scoring freely.

Hate to say it, but I predict Shels 3 - 0 City :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

gimmick wrote:
    I have never dreaded a City game as much as tonight. We are playing crap, no George, No Flynn (out for the remainder of the season :rolleyes: ). Behan and Fenn upfront are hardly prolific. Shels on the other hand are playing the best they have ever played, and scoring freely.

Hate to say it, but I predict Shels 3 - 0 City :(
    After last Monday, I wouldn't give Shels that much respect.
    On the other hand, I have a horrible feeling about our night at the seaside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'm hoping we dish out a tanking to City, but it won't be easy. Cork will be up for this one, and know they're 11pts off the pace if they lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I am really looking forward to this game. Cork City are missing some key players, and Shels are playing the best football I've seen them play in a long time.

But, and there always is one of these, there always comes a time when a team is knocked from it's perch when it is on a run like this. Could it be tonight? City just had a pretty miserable result in Waterford last weekend, we never got out of first gear against Bohs until the last thirteen minutes in the Cup Semi Final on Monday.

Recent form tells me a two- or three-nil win tonight for Shels, what we all know about how results sometimes defy logic tells me a nil all draw, or a one nil loss.

But I suppose I better get off the fence. We'll win. Not comfortably though. Glen Crowe to score in a one nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Hard to argue with Gimmick. We have been playing muck. We played awful in Europe IMO and we are playing awful now. Also our away form has been of the Liam Murphy vintage. Roy O’Donovan is the only bit of pace left in the team. If we lose tonight we can kiss the championship goodbye.

Shels have been flying in recent weeks but they still have a small weakness in defence which I hope we can exploit.

Prediction :
    Shels 2-0 Cork City

• Advertisement

Hard to argue with Gimmick. We have been playing muck. We played awful in Europe IMO and we are playing awful now. Also our away form has been of the Liam Murphy vintage. Roy O’Donovan is the only bit of pace left in the team. If we lose tonight we can kiss the championship goodbye.

Shels have been flying in recent weeks but they still have a small weakness in defence which I hope we can exploit.

Prediction :
    Shels 2-0 Cork City
    Talk about getting your excuses in early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have a bet on Cork to get a draw.

Would like Bohs to draw but Bray are really bad or they were 6 weeks ago when we last played.

kdjac

johnos wrote:
    Talk about getting your excuses in early!

I have a whole bunch ready for Sunday night :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Confident of a Cork victory tonight. 5-1 i think :D

or possible 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Half-Time at Tolka , Shels 1-1 Cork . Behan opened the scoring on 19 mins and Jason Byrne scored an equaliser a minute before the break .

I have money with a friend on Shels not winning so if things stay as they are it's good for me . However I get the feeling Shels are going to edge this :( .

• Advertisement

Sadly as has been posted Corks demise from champions to 4th possibly is due to lack of transfer activity, so atm the sides are level reckon Shels class will come good in last 30 mins.

Still a draw and im up a 30 quid :)

kdjac

Demise is a bit melodramatic I'd say, but the lack will cost City the title this season. There are two trialists with us this week - Sean Kelly who was with Arsenal and Yeovil, and Keith Shevlin, back from a 'soccer' scholarship in the States. Both are said to have impressed, especially the former.

On tonights game, Seansouth will verify that Shels' equaliser came from bad refereeing - a free kick that was never.

I'll be happy with a draw, but not too confident. I hope you win money Kdjac :p

EDIT 2-1 City Roy O Donovan Pen!!!!!

I hope you dont win money now Kdjac

Put it simply gimmick you lost O Callaghan Gamble Murphy and O Flynn for whenever as champions who were back ups?

Pats sign everyone and if the above happened us we would have Foley Fahey Murphy and Armstrong to come one 3 decent players Murphy, we nowhere near Corks ability but we have decent players and some others to come in if anything happened. You should have bought and bought better, rico and his there are none better available was bollix we got Fahey who would be as good a replacement for O Callagahan then any other in the EL.

Bohs hammering Bray atm, Bohs fans be stunned there is a team worse than them :D

kdjac

1-2 Cork , Roy O'Donavan 61 mins . Shels way very well get an equaliser but my bet is for Shels not to win and it likes like im going to be right .

I agree, and Ricos lack of transfer activity could be the rock he perishes upon.

However, with regard to his policy, to be fair, he said he wouldn't pay for anyone who he felt wouldn't strengthen the first team.

With regard to Fahey, thats all City need, another trouble maker.

George is said to be lining up for the U21s on tuesday night. Very positive step, and hopefully a reconcilliation is on the cards. I feel with George and Gamble, there is no better centre mid partnership in the country.

However, we shall get over tonight first. Fingers crossed.
    Big Ears wrote:
    1-2 Cork , Roy O'Donavan 61 mins . Shels way very well get an equaliser but my bet is for Shels not to win and it likes like im going to be right .

EDIT: 2-2

Ya Crowe with the goal , some nervous moments for me now .

Gamble has been sent off now .

Full-time 2-2 , that'll do me .

^ For you? Our whole season rests on us getting a result tonight.

Sickener to leave a lead go twice :(

Pack of absolute ****n clowns. Leading twice agaisnt shels and we piss it down the drown. There goes our title.

I really hope Derry win it.

Derry will win it but a draw is a decent result for Cork look at your next few games all pretty much bankers (hate when that includes Pats but anyway :( )

kdjac

30 quid thank you very much Cork :D

Now Quigley to score 1st vs Derry on sunday 10-1 im on a roll this week :)

mark that is not Stephen really not him hes like a million to 1 to score ever :but god bless him hes a savage :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Derry will win it but a draw is a decent result for Cork look at your next few games all pretty much bankers (hate when that includes Pats but anyway :( )

kdjac

Our last game was banker aswell...

oh wait..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

We were lucky to get Jayo's freekick. Cork were equally lucky with the penalty - Heary fouled (shoved in the nback), ball hits his arm as he's falling, and a penalty is awarded.

To be fair, neither team deserved to win it I didn't think. We had a few good chances, but not a sterling performace really. Cahills control to put the ball in for Glen was immense though!

Pack of absolute ****n clowns. Leading twice agaisnt shels and we piss it down the drown. There goes our title.
    I really hope Derry win it.

What are you on about? We got a 2-2 draw, away from home against a team who have been firing on all cylinders in recent weeks. We are without George and Flynn, two of the better players in the league, our morale is supposedly low (depends on who you listen to, I hear its higher than ever, but the doom and naysayers have deemed it to be awful, and Rico is one defeat from the chop). Sure it is very disheartening to lose a lead twice, but Id prefer that than my original prediction being correct. We are still very much in the title picture.
    Kdjac wrote:
    a draw is a decent result for Cork look at your next few games all pretty much bankers (hate when that includes Pats but anyway

Derry at home, and Drogs away are the next two scheduled games. Hardly bankers. Pats and Bray at home TBA.

Watch out for Paul Devlin's disallowed goal v. Bray. Absolute cracker of a volley, slammed into the centre back of the net, bounced out off a stanchion and a goal kick given.
    Alan Kelly, take a bow. You have created a classic clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

johnos wrote:
    Watch out for Paul Devlin's disallowed goal v. Bray. Absolute cracker of a volley, slammed into the centre back of the net, bounced out off a stanchion and a goal kick given.
    Alan Kelly, take a bow. You have created a classic clip.
    Reminiscent of Mark Hughes for Southampton a few years back by the sounds of it.

Kelly is such a joke.

gimmick wrote:
    What are you on about? We got a 2-2 draw, away from home against a team who have been firing on all cylinders in recent weeks. We are without George and Flynn, two of the better players in the league, our morale is supposedly low (depends on who you listen to, I hear its higher than ever, but the doom and naysayers have deemed it to be awful, and Rico is one defeat from the chop). Sure it is very disheartening to lose a lead twice, but Id prefer that than my original prediction being correct. We are still very much in the title picture.

Derry at home, and Drogs away are the next two scheduled games. Hardly bankers. Pats and Bray at home TBA.

Very much in the title? I really dont think so. 8 points behind shels with a game in hand. If derry win tomorrow we will be 8 poins behind them with no game in hand.

It doesnt matter about shels recent forum. If we want to win the title we cant be surrending a goal lead twice in a game against one biggest rivals and expect to win the league. Its over for us now. 3rd is the best we can hope for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Very much in the title? I really dont think so. 8 points behind shels with a game in hand. If derry win tomorrow we will be 8 poins behind them with no game in hand.

It doesnt matter about shels recent forum. If we want to win the title we cant be surrending a goal lead twice in a game against one biggest rivals and expect to win the league. Its over for us now. 3rd is the best we can hope for.

8 points isnt insurmountable, remember, last season City were 17 points ahead of Shels, around this time of year in fact - we finished only 7 ahead at the end. There are 8 home games to be played, 7 away, 45 points at stake. We are unbeaten at home in the league so far this season, 100% actually.

It is far from over, we have the best manager in the league, we have stuttered so far this season, the best is yet to come. Believe in our team, get behind our team. We dont need negativity. I know you have the best wishes at heart, but come on....believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I Believe!

• Advertisement

Derry City v St Patricks Ath
    When: 7.30pm, August 13, 2006
    Match odds:
    Derry City: 4/7
    Draw: 12/5
    St Patricks Ath: 9/2

Drogheda Utd v Sligo Rovers
    When: 5.30pm, August 13, 2006
    Match odds:
    Drogheda Utd: 8/11
    Draw: 9/4
    Sligo Rovers: 10/3

Stupid time for a game on a sunday night, be tomorrow before i get home :(

Sligo to get a draw, us to lose graciously :) Hopefully a few hangovers etc in the Derry team M Quigley 1st to score for Pats 10-1 is a decent bet, our 1st competitive game for 6 weeks whilst i think Derry have won every game straight in that time or drawn one and won 10 or somfin.

We were as good as them last time we played but 6 weeks without a game isnt going to help, may help us start well.

kdjac

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    Damning clip is on bohemians.ie
    Commented on for posterity also on Bohsnews
    (I see it's so good it's now got two threads here).

gimmick wrote:
    8 points isnt insurmountable, remember, last season City were 17 points ahead of Shels, around this time of year in fact - we finished only 7 ahead at the end. There are 8 home games to be played, 7 away, 45 points at stake. We are unbeaten at home in the league so far this season, 100% actually.

It is far from over, we have the best manager in the league, we have stuttered so far this season, the best is yet to come. Believe in our team, get behind our team. We dont need negativity. I know you have the best wishes at heart, but come on....believe.

I will never rule it out, but alas i cant be as postive as you.

I am tempted to take Pats at the AH, i think they might surpise alot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Drogs 2-2 Sligo

Sligo's latest signing??

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2803/essiensl1.jpg

Conceed 2 sucky goals from corners that schooboys would have defended better, started with a 451 Molloy Fahey Foley Quigley Rooney usualy back four, seemingly these Derry lads are bigger than us and were winning everything in the air (jesus took JMC 2 rds of the season to figure that out) stuck on Foley for Foley and we gained some shape with Brennan going mid and pretty much dominating the derry mid 3 for the next 15 of 1st half and 1st 20 of 2nd, we were well on top as usual took 2 goals to wake us up.

1st 20 of 2nd half Derry looked tired and we were pushing on and creating chances.....then th einevitable Brennan MOTM by a ****ing mile pulls ahamstring goes for Leister who comes up vs Derry mid 3 and they ran him over and pretty much played heads and volleys with Ryan for the rest of the game.

barring Rutherfords one on one which he missed from 6 yards and a super save from Forde we were devoid of chances for last 15 ish but with Brennan in mid we were on top and well on top.

The difference between us....
    Our subs after 30 mins C Foley for M Foley , after 60 Rutherford for Keegan, 70 Leister for Brennan.

Theirs !!!!!!!!! farren for Mc Hugh !!!! Mc Court for someone else whose deadly, Deery for anotehr deadly player.

We may have 6 good players they have like 20..... and in the league title there was 2. i dont think Shels can make the subs they can....

Highlight of the night was when we got there we went to the "other" end as it was closest to car, i was sitting with a mate amongst all the Derry fans with my away jersey on (who were excellent throughout even with the broken megaphone), when we scored i jumped up and shouted "Gwan "!.......then wondering why EVERYONE in the entire stand was looking at me ..... sat back down and noticed my mate had moved 2 seats to the left :D

kdjac

Advertisement