Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Tie Wedding - Can't find a Dress Anywhere

• 11-08-2006 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been invited to my cousins wedding, she has asked that it be a black tie affair and it is due to take place on August 30th.

I have tried on a million dresses from a million stores and I can't find a dress anywhere.

I am 5 ft 5, a size 14 on bust, 12 on bottom.

Boob tubes are out of the questions, and I am not overly gone on spaghetti straps, and I don't think they are flattering on a girl with a big chest.

I find that halter neck suits me, and so does a baby doll style.

Please, I am really struggling here, if anyone can help me I would really appreciate.

I am even willing to go look at a 2nd hand dress if anyone has one to sell.

I am not crazy about the material in this dress but it is along the lines of the kind of shape and style I am after.

198210_fpx.tif?

This next dress, I do not like the colour or material, but I do like the shape of the dress around the bust, I like the halter strap too.

w-springhill-exhibition-1950dress_picture

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭deise gal

i ave seen some gorge dresses in monsoon dat r well priced !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah , I say go to Monsoon, the dress you've linked a pick of is lovely, but I'd steer clear of pale colours for a wedding. (Someone'll think you're trying to upstage the bride.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Ahem, cough, ... *bump*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 geishagirl

I would try Oasis because they have some really nice dresses at the moment size wise I not sure how they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Have you got a debenhams near you? They'd have plenty of dress's suitable for black tie and in all shapes and sizes. There's loads of nice boutiques in Cork to get wedding suitable dress's in but don't know where your based....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

I deffinately go to Monsoon, the have alot of nice dresses in. The dress you posted a link to is stunning! *ahem* but as said before Oasis have nice stuff aswell.

Got all these dresses, including postage and packaging for €100!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: FROM EBAY!

Problem Solved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Hi,

I have been invited to my cousins wedding, she has asked that it be a black tie affair and it is due to take place on August 30th.

I have tried on a million dresses from a million stores and I can't find a dress anywhere.

I am 5 ft 5, a size 14 on bust, 12 on bottom.

Boob tubes are out of the questions, and I am not overly gone on spaghetti straps, and I don't think they are flattering on a girl with a big chest.

I find that halter neck suits me, and so does a baby doll style.

Please, I am really struggling here, if anyone can help me I would really appreciate.

I am even willing to go look at a 2nd hand dress if anyone has one to sell.

I am not crazy about the material in this dress but it is along the lines of the kind of shape and style I am after.

198210_fpx.tif?

This next dress, I do not like the colour or material, but I do like the shape of the dress around the bust, I like the halter strap too.

w-springhill-exhibition-1950dress_picture

I think that dress looks really nice. How much money are you willing to spend? I had a wedding to attend in July and it was the kind of wedding you just had to get dressed up for. I posted a thread here and someone suggested Rococo and they had some fab stuff but in the end I bought my dress from Lara in Dame Lane. However both shops are expensive and if you consider the possibility of needing new shoes/sandles, bag, wrap, getting ready (hair, make up, pedicure etc), possibly having to stay over, money to spend when there, present too the outfit can run to being too much, I was lucky that with that wedding it was close enough to my house so that I didn't have to stay over and my boyfriends sister was kind enough to drop us home that evening so no taxi fare was involved.The other FMs who have suggested Monsoon are onto a good thing there, I was in their shop in Blanchardstown yesterday and they had some lovely stuff that wasn't expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Weeshie

Hey MD, I can empathise with you completely. I am exactly the same size as you, and get a pain in my brain when it comes to dress shopping. But in the last few weeks, I have bought 3 dresses in Zara! - no occassion, just that they fitted so well and a gal can't let an opportunity slide! Have a look and I'm sure you'll find something. Good luck with it, and have a lovely time at the wedding.:)

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Got all these dresses, including postage and packaging for €100!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: FROM EBAY!

Problem Solved!

Jesus - they are fab!!! I cannot believe you got those for 100 quid - are they second hand or something? I love the orange dress! Oh why don't I have a credit card for ebay?:(

• Advertisement

Deer wrote:
    Jesus - they are fab!!! I cannot believe you got those for 100 quid - are they second hand or something? I love the orange dress! Oh why don't I have a credit card for ebay?:(

They are brand spanking new. With Tags!
    The Orange one was £18 sterling, Blue and green ones where £13 sterling each, and then postage and packaging!

Legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭DeiseGal

Dresses are fab, please let us know if they work out size wise, would be interested in purchasing one myself. Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭deise gal

dey r gorge !! how u find em on ebay??????? wud love 2 know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Have you tried Kays catalogue?

deise gal wrote:
    dey r gorge !! how u find em on ebay??????? wud love 2 know
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Cherlone-Dress

I hope this link works, thats the shop I bought them from.
    Almost nervous about giving away the link, just in case everyone starts snapping them up and I am not unique anymore :p

There are some really gorgeous dresses there!

Let me know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭loodles

I bought a dress similar to your first link in Ted Baker, its a petrol colour but a similar shape. They often have nice dresses - I tend to shop there for every wedding I go to! Good Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

saw some you might like in karen millen in dundrum at the weekend id advise go there there is a sale in karen millen and in monsoon. also have a look in house of fraser some good dresses on sale there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

im looking for a dress for a wedding too, i found the most gorgeous one today in warehouse, its a green satin halterneck style similar in shape to the one above!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    They are brand spanking new. With Tags!
    The Orange one was £18 sterling, Blue and green ones where £13 sterling each, and then postage and packaging!

This is why I love ebay so much :)
    They're great dresses, quite a bargain for €100, and now you have brand new dresses in your wardrobe for the next time you have a dressy occassion to attend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i bought a really nice one today in Karen Millen, its perfect for a wedding!

its a goldy cream colour i can't really describe it but its perfect for the occasion!!

Advertisement