Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual hosts

Options
  • 11-08-2006 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

hi guys,

i have been tasked with mirroring locally hosted webcontent (im in seychelles) with hosts in europe. not a problem finding hosts but i need to figure this out:

when a local user updates their website (or database) how can i automate it so that the servers mirroring the content also update with the new material? also, how do configure so that the person goes to the site hosted closest to them, ie if someone in sweden requests my page, how do i divert them to my host in ireland as opposed to my host in say canada?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Automating the sites could be done using a number of techniques, but if you've got more than one database backend it could get very messy.

Diverting the user to the correct version could be done using geoip I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

As a matter of interest, why dual host at all?

If I remember correctly, you stated that the Seychelles server was connected via satellite which caused problems anyway.

Why not just host in Ireland and let the client update that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

blacknight wrote:
    Automating the sites could be done using a number of techniques

what techniques?

@richardo - that is an interesting option and may work for some clients but we also host local government and that must be internal. i may look at it for commercial clients however. thanks for the thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

7aken wrote:
    what techniques?

That depends on your budget.

I'd recommend contacting a few possible providers with exact details of your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

but we also host local government

Aha. That's fair enough.

And Blacknight just got in ahead of me. Great hosting providers. Can't recommend 'em highly enough. [and I don't work for them :D ]

• Advertisement
Advertisement