Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish meals

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

dudara wrote:
    This is my version of an Irish stew. It's not too far off the mark. Traditionally lamb is used, but I prefer beef.

Cut some onions really coarsely (quarters or sixths). Fry gently for a few minutes in some oil in a pot. Add sliced carrots (the bigger the slices the better as this is going to be cooking for a while). Add cubed beef/lamb and fry until the meat is sealed. Season well with salt and pepper while frying.

Add in stock (whether instant or homemade) along with some bay leaves, and herbs of your choice (I like a little thyme). Bring to the boil, cover and leave to simmer gently for at least 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally. (until the meat is starting to fall apart). Peel some potatoes and cut them according to preference. Place on top of the stew, cover and leave until potatoes are cooked. Serve.

quite similar to my own. I generally use rib steak cut into cubes from my local butcher, rub a little olive oil into the pieces. In a bowl mix a small amount of flour, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, little cayene pepper and mix the meat through it.
    Brown it in some olive oil in a frying pan adding coarsely chopped onions and a few cloves of minced garlic, add a dollop of tomatoe paste mixed with a little water, then add to a 1/4 pot of beef boullion, thickly chopped spuds and carrots, with a chopped stick or 2 of celery as well.
    Finally added some fresh finely chopped thyme and parsley and a cup and a half or so of a robust red wine. Simmer for 2 hours or so and serve. Not all Irish ingredients I know, but hey, one of the benifits of multiculturalism! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 scotusone

a nice dish can be stuffed pork steaks .

open the steaks (pork fillet in other countries) as beat out gently with a meat hammer or rolling pin.

when more or less an even thickness place a plain sage and onion stuffing down the middle .

roll into original shape and tie up to keep in place .

brown in a pan or cassarole.

cook in a moderate hot oven for about 35/40 mins depending on size of piece.

serve with apple sauce .

simple and traditional.

then give them a nice irish dessert like bread and butter pudding , which i always found went down very well in italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Bacon and cabbage isn't the definitive Irish dish. There are hundreds of better recipes. What about rosemary roast lamb with roast potatoes and gravy? Roast beef or beef stew? Plaice fillets with parsnip shavings? Salmon, smoked or otherwise, with brown bread? Loads of different kinds of soups too..

Think outside the bacon and cabbage box, guys, please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Rabbit stew. Delicious. And floury spuds. Mmm.

Advertisement