Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nagios

Options
  • 11-08-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Anyone here use Nagios?

I have just installed it on Ubuntu and gotten the whole thing up and running to stage1 (actually working)

But I would now Like to get it to actually monitor windows servers, ive NO IDEA how to do this?

Does anyone know of any addons they recommend for nagios? or of any guides they know on how to set it up to monitor windows servers?

Thanks
    Note: Im VERY new to nagios and linux (ubuntu)

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Read the documentation. Then read it again. Then read it again. Then keep reading it.

This isn't meant to be a smart answer, honestly. It's a superb tool, and awesomely powerful, but the configuration takes a while to get your head around. If you keep reading the documentation and playing with the config files, it will come to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks oscarBravo,

I have been reading my little heart out! :eek: but its combination of trying to learn linux and actually getting the Nagios up and running is whats slowing me down

Although I really am enjoying it, I got a real kick out of actually getting Nagios working in the first place, on my third attempt mind you! but still when I saw the Webpages working last night it was definatly high fives all around to myself! lol :p

Its kinda like solving this incredible puzzle where you have all the answers (On the Net somewhere) but you have to go and make sense of them all.

I suppose I was just hoping someone might have some sort of addon tool I could use, or something that would make the whole job easier to config the monitoring side. Anyway thanks for the feedback Ill keep plugging away at this till I figure out the next step :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I have to get my head around this tool in the next while myself - gah, so much reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Some help: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/nagios.htm
    alt. front-end project: http://www.oreon-project.org/

repository for plugins: http://www.nagiosexchange.org/

Hopefully there's something of use there. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Karoma: Thanks for that, would I beleive I just found Oroen tonight and thats why I came here to ask about it :)

WizZard: I just got a book on this at the weekend, you can borrow once Im dont if you like, its for v2.0 but its the latest book you can get April 2006.

Ill also post where Im pulling guides articles from so you can follow them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gilby

Static M.e.

I've used nagios a good bit over the past few years. Anything I can do to help you with?

I've only just about seen Oreon being used and as you say, it's based on Nagios 2.0.

I've more experience in Nagios 1.3, but if there's anything - just let me know and we'll see what we can do.

As for your windows query, it's nsClient you want to get and install as a service on the windows systems.

Take care,
    Gilby from Puck.

Advertisement