Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Probably pregnant

• 11-08-2006 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well the story is I missed a pill on Monday. I only realised this last night. I also missed my pill on Tuesday but took it Wednesday morning instead (within the 12 hours) and then to add to my stupidity I missed Wednesdays one and took that on Thursday morning instead (within the 12 hours also) So basically I went from Sunday night to Wednesday morning without taking my pill. I had sex on Monday night.

My period is due next Tuesday.

I went to the doctor this morning who said I have to wait to see if I get my period or not. If I do not get it then the following week I can do a test. Which would bring me up to about the 21st?! I thought doctors could do the test sooner than that? Anyone been in a situation similar to this? Any help/advice/commets are very much appreciated. I'm worried.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

well first of all as you are in the last week of your cycle its unlikely that you are pregnant. Well thats how the doctor explained it to me the last time I was in this situation...she said that if you take them properly for the first two weeks you should be ok.

There are tests you can buy that work really early...I think the clear blue ones do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It takes a while for your body to develope the hormone that the tests checks for if you are pregnant.

The clear blue test can be used before the due date of your period but it is not as accurate.
    Clearblue Easy can be used as early at 4 days before you expect your period. That's 5 days sooner than waiting until you miss your period to test. The amount of pregnancy hormone increases rapidly in early pregnancy. In clinical testing with early pregnancy samples, Clearblue Easy gave the following results. 53% of pregnant women get results 5 days sooner. 74% get results 4 days sooner. 84% get results 3 days sooner, 87% get results 2 days sooner.

You would have to wait until that day to be sure.
    Did you Dr not talk to you about the possibilites of emergency contraception ?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

first response is another that works early and these tests are actually more accurate than doctors - the reason Id say he/she said to wait is bec you can get a false neg off any preg test if the hormone level isnt high enough so waiting until a week after due date will give you an accurate test, but as someone said the chances of you being pregnant are slim, due to the timing in your cycle and also the fact that you are on the pill - there is a possiblility obviously but its not a likely one. Time will tell, try not to worry too much till then. good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I missed the first pill in my packet last Sunday. Does that put me at risk? Sorry, wasnt thinking about it until I read this post. I dont normally miss taking them. Have never missed taking one before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I missed the first pill in my packet last Sunday. Does that put me at risk? Sorry, wasnt thinking about it until I read this post. I dont normally miss taking them. Have never missed taking one before.

Yes, missing a pill puts you at risk of becoming pregnant.

That's why you should always try to use two methods of contraception if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

read the booklet that comes with your pill for details on what to do if you miss a pill. Call your GP if you're still unsure as to what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Given the details you have supplied I would advise to relax a bit. There is a chance you are pregnant but the chance is slim given your circumstances. Wait a few days and get the tests done.

Lots of people have pregnancy scares but it is important to learn from it and taken extra precautions in the future

im not trying to be horrible, as i know what its like to be gripped by terror at the thought of being pregnant - but really, are you not being incredidibly irresponsible by missing that many pills while having unprotected sex? maybe you should think of another form of contraception?

i mean, missing one pill, fine that can happen. but going from sun-wed and just forgetting to take them? thats a bit crazy...

Well it puts into perspective me worrying about being pregnant after taking my pill religiously at the same time every day but having sex once without the added protection of condoms. Seriously you should consider using condoms as an added protection. Even then there is no guarantee that you won't accidently fall pregnant.
    If you keep forgeting to take it, it may also be a good idea to see about some other form of protection such as injections, implants.
    But i'm sure you don't need somebody to preach at you just wanted o add my advice, so best of luck, hope everything turns out ok.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Oh and no, I do not need to use another type of protection, just because I forgot it 3 days in a row. I've only been taking the thing for 4 YEARS and it never happened before. Oh yeah it's ''crazy'' alright.

I'm just back from holidays so I guess I'm just out of sorts or something.

I inquired about the home tests and the First Response lets you take the test 4 days before your period is due. It may not be accurate though.

Anyway..I'll let you guys know next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

Every persons body is different. If you have been on the pill for 4 years chances are that missing 1 or 2 pills will not result in pregnancy. However, this is different for everybody. I have also missed one or two days over the last 5 years that I have been taking it. I'm in a long term relationship with my boyfriend and I know if I was to get pregnant we would both be fine with it so it's not the end of the world, but even though i've missed these one or two days i've never had so much as a scare. I put this done to my body being on the pill for a while and taking a while to get it out of my system. I still wouldn't be complacent about not getting pregnant if I missed one or two days but you have to think that when some women come off the pill it takes them a couple of months to conceive. Each individual is different so there is no simple answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

Why did you not get the morning after pill if you knew you missed taking the pill,

foolish wrote:
    Oh and no, I do not need to use another type of protection, just because I forgot it 3 days in a row. I've only been taking the thing for 4 YEARS and it never happened before. Oh yeah it's ''crazy'' alright.

You don't need to use another type of protection yet you come on here stressed that you're pregnant because you forgot the pill? Am I missing something here ????

oulu wrote:
    Why did you not get the morning after pill if you knew you missed taking the pill,

Because it was too late to take it.
    yawhat wrote:
    You don't need to use another type of protection yet you come on here stressed that you're pregnant because you forgot the pill? Am I missing something here ????

So I'm going to use condoms or whatever for the rest of my life because out of the 1460 days that I've been on the pill I've forgot it once? Yeah I think you are missing something alright. Next time you post, I advise you to be helpful instead of posting rubbish. And try to stay on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The morning after pill can be taken for up to 72 hours from the time you had unprotected sex or missed a pill.

The contraceptive pill will not protect you from sti's condoms will from most.

Actully you forgot it 3 days in a row. It could be that you may be better off looking at the patch or injection if taking on time is going to become a problem for you. People are pointing out options.

If you have an issue with a post please use the report post function.

yeah OP its more than "crazy" alright, its downright stupid - i didnt want to be hard on you, as i know its a worrying time.
    do yourself and your partner a favour and take some extra precautions, you obviously cant handle the responsibility for contraception in your relationship solely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

foolish wrote:
    Because it was too late to take it.

So I'm going to use condoms or whatever for the rest of my life because out of the 1460 days that I've been on the pill I've forgot it once? Yeah I think you are missing something alright. Next time you post, I advise you to be helpful instead of posting rubbish. And try to stay on topic
    I think if you take it within 72 hrs it works

Well 72 hours is 3 days. I missed the pill and had sex on Monday night. I realised I missed this pill on Thursday. Friday morning when I went to the doctor it was too late.

foolish wrote:

Ahh, but you didn't forget it once. You forgot it three times. Plus you knew that you took two of the pills late. Surely it could have entered your head that using an alternate form of contraception may have been smart? Oh and it is on topic, you asked for comments.

And no, I have never been in that situation because I've always used condoms if I've forgotten the pill.

• So I'm going to use condoms or whatever for the rest of my life because out of the 1460 days that I've been on the pill I've forgot it once? Yeah I think you are missing something alright. Next time you post, I advise you to be helpful instead of posting rubbish. And try to stay on topic

Jeez, some people! YOU came here asking for advice! You said you forgot it 3 times in a few days, doesn't sound too responsible to me. Since you are so worried about getting pregnant, perhaps condoms WOULD be a good idea to put your mind at rest. I had a pregnancy scare this year, I used a condom AND didn't miss a pill (took a few a bit late) and I was still sh*tting bricks. If you were so confident about taking the Pill properly, you wouldn't be here asking for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

OP, dare I ask - did you take a test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 vonnyob

People please leave OP alone, yeah she forgot to take the pill, and yeah she should have used a condom, but there is no point in telling her it now.

Stress can delay a period and you are stressing her out.

OP, do the blue line preg test, and see what happens, please try and relax (i know its hard) but stressing will delay period and you will stress more and a vicious circle will begin.

If the worse comes, visit your gp again for advice as soon as possible,

Let us know how you get on, I hope everything is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 teagan

Unreg_gal wrote:
    yeah OP its more than "crazy" alright, its downright stupid - i didnt want to be hard on you, as i know its a worrying time.
    do yourself and your partner a favour and take some extra precautions, you obviously cant handle the responsibility for contraception in your relationship solely.
    I think you are being way to hard on the op, as she said she has been on the pill four years and this is the first time she's missed it. She doesn't need a lecture or to be told she's been crazy or stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

OP - did the doctor not recommend fitting the coil - it can "bring on" your period in these circumstance. Basically if you are pregnant it prevents the egg implanting in the wall of the womb and so ends the pregnancy.

Wow. ok. Well
    Izzy Wizzy wrote:
    Jeez, some people! YOU came here asking for advice! You said you forgot it 3 times in a few days, doesn't sound too responsible to me. Since you are so worried about getting pregnant, perhaps condoms WOULD be a good idea to put your mind at rest. I had a pregnancy scare this year, I used a condom AND didn't miss a pill (took a few a bit late) and I was still sh*tting bricks. If you were so confident about taking the Pill properly, you wouldn't be here asking for advice.

I am responsible with the pill. Like I've already said, 4 years and I missed it once and took the other two in the 12 hours which is fine. So just because that happened I've to go running around looking for more protection? And to be honest I was worried initailly but I'm not now. So don't know where you're getting that ''so worried'' from. What's done is done. I would have thought that people who have gone through it before would understand but obviously not?! You were ''sh*tting bricks'' so you should know I don't need your little lectures. Yeah you're right, some people.
    vibrant wrote:
    OP, dare I ask - did you take a test?
    No, have'nt taken it yet!

Vonnyob and Teagan, thanks. You're right I don't need it. I was stressed out over the last few days, getting headaches and all but I'm not bothered now so hopefully the period won't be delayed!
    Enii wrote:
    OP - did the doctor not recommend fitting the coil - it can "bring on" your period in these circumstance. Basically if you are pregnant it prevents the egg implanting in the wall of the womb and so ends the pregnancy.
    Well no, I've never even heard of that. My GP isn't the most helpful man I've ever met so I'll be changing from him to another one anyway. Thanks for the info!

oh poor you, getting "headaches" - youd feel a damn sight worse if you turn out to be pregnant.

women not taking responsibilty for their actions does annoy me - it doesnt matter how many years you have supposedly been on the pill, forgetting for 3 days is careless and stupid, i dont care how harsh that sounds.

get real and dont make excuses for potentially life altering mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Foolish wrote:
    I am responsible with the pill. Like I've already said, 4 years and I missed it once and took the other two in the 12 hours which is fine. So just because that happened I've to go running around looking for more protection?
    Just to clarify - yes, you do need to use another method of contraception if you miss a pill and don't wish to become pregnant.

If you miss even one pill - and it doesn't matter if you take the next days at the alloted time - you are unprotected for 7 days and should use condoms for that time. Every day that you miss a pill you are not protected for 7 days from that day.

Anyone who is on the pill is advised to also have some condoms handy just case something like that happens. It's very little inconvenience and less hassle certainly than all the stress.

Hope everything works out for you.

I've had enough of posters bashing the OP. No more attacks or I will ban.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

First of all, only one pill was missed. The other 2 were taken within 12 hours which is the safe window so they do not count as missed pills.
    However, as Kittex said, once you miss the first one you are not protected for 7 days irrespective of whether you take the next one on time or not.

OP, I don't know what advice to give you other than to try to relax and take a pregnancy test as soon as you can. As someone else said, as you were in the last week of your pill you are at the 'safest' time of the month so just hope for the best. I hope it all works out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

One error in four years is not a reason to crucify the OP. I am pretty sure she is aware of what a mistake it was and wont forget again in a hurry.

It seems a little like closing the door after the horse has bolted, but just get a packet of condoms for the future, just in case.

also be aware of the time factor with the morning after pill.

For now all you can do is take a test and see. After that, depending upon results you can review your options.

There are injections and patches and other forms of contraception. But TBH once in 4 years is not irresponsible.

BTW is there a recommended time limit for any particular type of contraception?

foolish wrote:
    Well the story is I missed a pill on Monday. I only realised this last night. I also missed my pill on Tuesday but took it Wednesday morning instead (within the 12 hours) and then to add to my stupidity I missed Wednesdays one and took that on Thursday morning instead (within the 12 hours also) So basically I went from Sunday night to Wednesday morning without taking my pill. I had sex on Monday night.

My period is due next Tuesday.

I went to the doctor this morning who said I have to wait to see if I get my period or not. If I do not get it then the following week I can do a test. Which would bring me up to about the 21st?! I thought doctors could do the test sooner than that? Anyone been in a situation similar to this? Any help/advice/commets are very much appreciated. I'm worried.

You're on the pill, either you're on the pill and you're ovulating (depends on your system and the specific pill) or you're not.

If you're ovulation, you should have ovulated around day 14, which is from my reading 7 days before you had sex. Sperm survive for up to 7 days, an egg survives for one. If you are ovulating the chances are that the egg was long gone and there is only a very remote chance that you are pregnant.

If you're not ovulation on the pill then your one missed pill in 4 years is unlikely to have given your body enough time to kick into gear and ovulate releasing an egg. Even if this did happen, the chances of your cervical mucus de-thickening and the lining of your womb thickening (the two other methods the pill works by) enough for an egg to implant after one missed pill are very small.

Do some reading, it's alot less stressful than panicing
    http://www.fpa.org.uk/guide/contracep/compill.htm

Just read this post and im intrigued. Today I came home and saw that I hadn't taken yesterdays pill. I am on the pill so many years and this has never happened. I even remember looking at my pak yesterday and thinking "oh I took it". I was looking at Tuesday....I thought it was Tuesday. Of course it was wednesday. The thing is i only started back on this pack after my 7 day break last Friday. As a result I am in the dodgy zone!

I had sex with my wonderful boyfriend last sunday. It says in my book that if you have had sex within the previous 7 days contact the doctor. I rang him and he said I'm safe do not worry. He didn't even tell me to take two pills today. Anyway I am demented with worry. Anyone want to tell me give me some info on my changes??

Ok, just a quick update on this.

I GOT MY PERIOD. I AM NOT PREGNANT.

I'd just like to say to the people who were being all high and mighty that your ''advice'' really didn't do me any good. If another girl comes on here with the same problem as me I would hope you would show a little understanding. If you think that what I did was irresponsible or whatever, could you have not put it in a nice way without jumping down my neck? Calling me crazy, stupid and attacking me. That is not needed in a situation like this. It really isn't. And you should know it.

I'll point out this poster in particular.
    unreg_gal wrote:
    oh poor you, getting "headaches" - youd feel a damn sight worse if you turn out to be pregnant.

women not taking responsibilty for their actions does annoy me - it doesnt matter how many years you have supposedly been on the pill, forgetting for 3 days is careless and stupid, i dont care how harsh that sounds.

Stop acting like my mother. Actually my mam didn't even act like this when I told her. She was very helpful and understanding. Stop getting so worked up over a post on an internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

cant say wrote:
    Just read this post and im intrigued. Today I came home and saw that I hadn't taken yesterdays pill. I am on the pill so many years and this has never happened. I even remember looking at my pak yesterday and thinking "oh I took it". I was looking at Tuesday....I thought it was Tuesday. Of course it was wednesday. The thing is i only started back on this pack after my 7 day break last Friday. As a result I am in the dodgy zone!

I had sex with my wonderful boyfriend last sunday. It says in my book that if you have had sex within the previous 7 days contact the doctor. I rang him and he said I'm safe do not worry. He didn't even tell me to take two pills today. Anyway I am demented with worry. Anyone want to tell me give me some info on my changes??

same thing happened myself and the girlfriend last yr,nearly to the exact same days as far as i remember, she called doc too and he said the same and all was fine in the end so dont think you've anything to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

cant say wrote:

Even if you have unprotected sex on a regular basis for an entire month with your partner, you still only have a one in four chance of getting pregnant.

• Advertisement

OP - take this as a warning and remember to take your pills next time.

And dont look for feedback if all you want is a "there, there it'll be alright".
    Because this is life, and everything often isnt "alright", believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Unreg_gal wrote:

hiding behind unreg: chicken or what?

bandraoi wrote:
    Even if you have unprotected sex on a regular basis for an entire month with your partner, you still only have a one in four chance of getting pregnant.

Can we have the math here please?

I failed foundation level in the recent LC so help me with this please.

My mammy told me that if I have unprotected sex with a girl when the egg is in the chamber then she will be a granny, regular or not.

foolish wrote:
    Ok, just a quick update on this.

I GOT MY PERIOD. I AM NOT PREGNANT.

Great news. I just hope ur ma did not actually want to be a granny:) :)

Can you do it again maybe next month to give the armchair moralists another opp to ..... on.

Keep well

Bulmers wrote:
    same thing happened myself and the girlfriend last yr,nearly to the exact same days as far as i remember, she called doc too and he said the same and all was fine in the end so dont think you've anything to worry about.
    Thanks very much for your reply. I really hope things work out like you said. I hope my doctor knows what he is talking. I know it's my own stupidity but I seriously just made a mistake. I never ever forgot before and Im so disappointed in myself. I'm sick with worry. Sleepless nights until my period comes.

Lets's hope the sleepless nights won't continue for 18 more years!

Thanks again all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ask these questions of your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Sounds like your better off on the injection contraceptive,lasts 3 months,if you can forget the pill for 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭judybaby

Well "Can't say" if your doctor said you are safe then I would go with him on this. It is much worse to forget two days on the pill. It takes 7 days to "numb" your ovaries so just be careful for 7 days. Like you said ...you have never ever forgotton before so the pill does work for you....At least you had the cop on to ring your doctor. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 vonnyob

Im delighted things worked out ok and your periods came.

I would like to add that I am sorry for my fellow forum users who seem to enjoy going from thread to thread and jumping down peoples throats.

I just wish they never be in any of the situations.

Dont be afraid to come back if you have any more problems dont let this experience here put you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

Aright guys, new to this so gimmie a break!
    Wow am i glad i found this site(it'll take me away from bebo forr a while anyway)
    spent the last 2 weeks looking for advice off stupid sites....
    This thread has definately put my mind at ease... glad to hear things worked out for you 'foilish'. Kinda had a similar experience recently, well, actually no not really. I was just totally freaked out about the pill in the first place to be honest. Me and my girl have been goin out for a year and i always insisted on condoms but recently she says she is fed up of them cos they hurt etc. She has been on the pill for a few months but i just cant get my head around it. I was always told that if you shoot in a girl, she's pregnant!
    I finally agreed last week to give it ago and have done it a few times since but i have been so PARANOID since. I suppose after reading some of these posts it has put my mind at ease... any extra reassurance would still be appreciative!!! She takes it everyday at the same time, so i suppose i am being silly really..... am i?

Aright guys, new to this so gimmie a break!
    Wow am i glad i found this site(it'll take me away from bebo forr a while anyway)
    spent the last 2 weeks looking for advice off stupid sites....
    This thread has definately put my mind at ease... glad to hear things worked out for you 'foilish'. Kinda had a similar experience recently, well, actually no not really. I was just totally freaked out about the pill in the first place to be honest. Me and my girl have been goin out for a year and i always insisted on condoms but recently she says she is fed up of them cos they hurt etc. She has been on the pill for a few months but i just cant get my head around it. I was always told that if you shoot in a girl, she's pregnant!
    I finally agreed last week to give it ago and have done it a few times since but i have been so PARANOID since. I suppose after reading some of these posts it has put my mind at ease... any extra reassurance would still be appreciative!!! She takes it everyday at the same time, so i suppose i am being silly really..... am i?
    The pill is up to 99% effective if taken properly (i.e. around about the same time every day) That means one woman out of 100 could become pregnant over 12 months of taking the pill.

How she takes it depends on what type of pill she is on. There are 2 types:

Combined Pill - with 2 hormones, take for 3 weeks of the month then take a break for 7 days. The girl is protected all month round. Down side/side effects include migraines, mood swings, nausea, higher risk of clots etc.

Mini Pill - Single hormone pill, take every day with no break. Side effctes include weight gain and irregular periods (or none at all which many women see as a plus).

There are plenty of sites you can get some information from
    www.ifpa.ie/contraception
    www.brook.org.uk
    www.contracept.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

Ok Kittex I fully appreciate your response and thank you for taking the time to write back but i have read all that medical stuff before so what i'm really looking for is testimonials... e.g ive been taking it for years and no problems....etc
    anyone ever have problems (the pregnancy kind not side affects) from taking the pill correctly?

I've been on the combined pill continuously for 5 years. In that period of time I've had no problems at all. As long as you take it at approx the same time every day, and follow the instructions to the letter when you forget, when you throw up or have diahorrea, or when you take antibiotics, then the pill will be as effective as it can be.

Just remember that it's not 100% and it will not protect from STIs.

Ok Kittex I fully appreciate your response and thank you for taking the time to write back but i have read all that medical stuff before so what i'm really looking for is testimonials... e.g ive been taking it for years and no problems....etc
    anyone ever have problems (the pregnancy kind not side affects) from taking the pill correctly?
    Your post gave the impression you needed the basics, what with the confusion about the pill working?

Anyway, re: the pill, the only time I've ever heard of anyone becoming pregnant on the pill is when they forget to take one or are unwell (as dudara mentioned).

I gather you're looking for someone to say "it'll be fine. stop worrying". No one can offer that. As said, most people are fine but this is just anecdotal evidence. The failure rate from taking it correctly is still one person out of 100 every year. Whether that is too much a risk for you, in your life, is your choice, no?

Every woman has a different response to the pill too. Your girlfriend's doctor will have hopefully picked on that is right for her. If she feels unwell and thinks it might be due to it, she should go back and try a different type. Having the side effects, does not mean it's not working. It just means the hormones are the wrong kind of mix for her body.

Just don't let a man dump it in you, regardles of being on the pill. Double up your protection. If some contraception is only 95% effective then the statistics arent in your favour if you have regular sex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement