Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile recycling service

Options
  • 11-08-2006 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭

I read in the Wicklow Times yesterday that the mobile recycling service at Tesco is being discontinued from the end of August.

I know a lot of ppl in charlesland have wheelie bins for recycling, but the mobile service is also very popular, so if you use it now's the time to complain to the council.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I went down there a few weeks ago with a bag of old clothes and they had got rid of the clothes recycling.:( And as far as I know there's no charity clothes shops in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

wingding wrote:
    I went down there a few weeks ago with a bag of old clothes and they had got rid of the clothes recycling.:( And as far as I know there's no charity clothes shops in the area.
    There are a couple on Quinsboro Road in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

There is a great recycling facility in Bray on the Boghall road. Its open all week (not sure about the weekends) It would be great to have one like it in Greystones but until then this is a great facility and you can recycle almost anything there.
    In my old address I used to always get bags posted to me asking me to fill them full of old clothes, does this ever happen in Charlesland anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

foxy06 wrote:
    There is a great recycling facility in Bray on the Boghall road. Its open all week (not sure about the weekends) It would be great to have one like it in Greystones but until then this is a great facility and you can recycle almost anything there.
    In my old address I used to always get bags posted to me asking me to fill them full of old clothes, does this ever happen in Charlesland anyone know?
    Yep... Three this week so far in the door. I doubt if any of them were legit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

foxy06 wrote:

yeah - the council are saying to use the recycling centre in Bray. it is open on saturdays until 2pm. Theres also one at the murrough in wicklow town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Yep... Three this week so far in the door. I doubt if any of them were legit though.

And if they are legit they need to fire their typist..

Got rid of a load of clothes at the weekend in Vincent De Paul in Dun Laoighaire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aug1

We get bags from clothing charities at least once every week in Kilcoole. Just a point about the Boghall Road, I found it not to be worth driving to and still bring everything to carraigmines/ballyogan, because in boghall road they want you to divide all your plastics. They have plastic bottle tops section, soft plastics, hard plastics....... Ballyogan is simpler and you won't need to have a hundred different bags/boxes for sorting. And since during dáil questions Minister Roche admitted in a written reply that 90% of all recycling ends in landfill... why bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

loyatemu wrote:
    I know a lot of ppl in charlesland have wheelie bins for recycling, but the mobile service is also very popular, so if you use it now's the time to complain to the council.

I thought WCC had freelanced the bin and recycling collections to Greenstar. There is no mention of them ceasing the mobile bring truck:

http://www.greenstar.ie/htm/03_domestic_customers/domestic_recycling_mobile.htm

Having said that, I didn't read the Wicklow Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Plenty wrote:
    I thought WCC had freelanced the bin and recycling collections to Greenstar. There is no mention of them ceasing the mobile bring truck:

http://www.greenstar.ie/htm/03_domestic_customers/domestic_recycling_mobile.htm

Having said that, I didn't read the Wicklow Times

I'll e-mail them and ask

customerservicesbray@greenstar.ie

I don't think greenstar's site is updated all that regularly - it was definitely in the paper that the greystones mobile truck is being discontinued (along with Kilmac and all but one of the Bray pickups). The service will be continuing in other areas of the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

No worries, loyatemu. I'll get onto Greenstar's case about it. Thanks for highlighting the issue though!:)

http://www.unison.ie/bray_people/stories.php3?ca=38&si=1671902&issue_id=14511

Wicklow County Council has announced that from next month a number of its mobile recycling units will be permanently closed.

Facilities in Greystones, Kilmacanogue, Rathnew, Baltinglass, Rathdrum and Annacurragh have each been selected for closure as of September.

The rationale behind the decision, according to Jim Callery, assistant environmental awareness officer with Wicklow County Council, is that there now exists five permanent recycling centres in the county.

'This was involved in the budget of 2006. These centres were introduced six years ago.'

Mr Callery said the recycling centres had been designed as a temporary measure, and were only intended to facilitate the communities until permanent centres could be introduced.

Currently, there are now five permanent recycling centres throughout the Garden County - in Wicklow Town, Arklow, Avoca, a landfill in Baltinglass and the newest centre in Bray. A number of mobile recycling units are to be retained in the west of the county, in areas were distances to one of the five permanent sites are deemed to be great.

However, the Council's decision has been heavily criticised by a number of local councillors, including Fine Gael's George Jones, who said the policy change had not been discussed with councillors.

'I feel the way this is been done in the middle of summer holidays is totally underhand. In Greystones, which has the highest volume of recycling in the County, the two Saturday mobile collections serves Greystones, Kilcoole, Delgany,Newcastle, Killincarrig, and even with the centre opened in Bray, it was my understanding these collections would continue until a centre was opened in Greystones,' he said.

Mr Callery however said an indication of the Council's intentions were outlined in the 2006 budget which was distributed to each county councillor earlier in the year. He refuted the allegation that local politicians were not made aware of the Council's plans.

The news comes following a report published in an edition of the 'Irish Independent' last week in which it was alleged that County Wicklow had the lowest percentage of household waste recycling, according to a Government audit.

The paper reported that just two percent of household waste in the Wicklow council area is being recycled - a statistic which Mr Calery deemed to be inaccurate.

Councillor Jones said he would be calling on the County Manager to postpone the decision to suspend the abolition of the recycling points until September's Environmental SPC meeting, at which point the situation would be reviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

:mad: to be continued........ !

just to clarify - its just the mobile service that's being withdrawn; ie. the truck the calls twice a month to Tesco. The bottle\can banks around the town (and at Tesco) are unaffected.

Advertisement