Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online book review

Options
  • 11-08-2006 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in participating in one of these with me? We could read and review a book each month and post our thoughts on the book as we go along and also get into a discussion about the book online. Any interest or suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pajos55

I like the sound of this.

Might be an idea to compile people's "wish lists" (i know i have a list as long as my arm of books i have been meaning to read for ages) and select from that based on what the majority want to try...

I'll throw in some of my wish list for starters: -

Underworld - Don DeLillo
    Animal Farm - Orwell
    1984 - Orwell
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
    Foucaults Pendulum - Umberto Eco
    The Wings of the Dove - Henry James
    Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce
    The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
    Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    The Untouchable - John Banville

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

yep, I'd be interested. How about giving a few weeks notice of whatever book will be read next month so people get times to get hold of a copy.

Will post a list of books I have lying around at home unread later when I can see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm willing to give this another go. Lets decide on a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Okay - I'm easy enough on what to read. I think we should only put one suggestion in each time otherwise there'll be major confusion! Do we want serious lit or a lighter type novel?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

1 of each and then vote?

• Advertisement

Okay my "serious lit" book is Lanark by Alasdair Gray and my lighter novel would be I know this much is true by Wally Lamb.

Anyone?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd never heard of either book, but Lanark sounds very interesting. I'll definitely be checking it out. This Much I Know Is True however, sounds like heavy going, and while maybe intersting, doesn't fit my definition of a "lighter" book.

Maybe perhaps something like A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss, or The Seville Communion by Arturo Perez-Reverte.

I don't mind what ye pick, just give me a week or two to find a copy on ebay ad we're off. So what is it going to be?

Okay we'll go with Lanark and do not dance on my head if you all think it's rubbish :D and one of Dudara's suggestions which I will leave up to someone else to pick! I never thought of using Ebay before for books. Then again I don't have a credit card so there wouldn't be much use in it for me.

• Advertisement

Lanark sounds good to me.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'd post a list of unread books I have waiting around at home in case any of them sound interesting for the next book reviews:

- Les Miserables
    - Fear & Loathing in LV
    - Heart of Darkness
    - Sons & Lovers
    - Phantom of the Opera (I think)
    - The Divine Comedy
    - 100 years of Solitude
    - State of the Art
    - Against a Dark Background
    - Million Dollar Habits

... and some other stuff I cannot remember right now.

I vote Heart of Darkness as the second book

Just about getting my hands on Lanark, ... should arrive within 10 days.

I hope it wasn't one of you boards folk who outbid me following my last post :mad:

Advertisement