Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid excel question, yes i am a dumbo

• 11-08-2006 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I want to do the follwoing in excel but its driving me nuts cos I cant do it.

I want to take the numerical contents (whole numbers) of two cells add them and go to the resulting cell number in a different known column. Take the data which is in this known column and print the contents in another column.

here is a simplified example.

cell A1 contains 6
    cell A2 contains 9

Add the contents of A1 and A2: answer = 15

got to cell B15

print contents of B15 in D1.

Does anyone know how I would do this. It seems so simple but I just don't have the know how.

I'd really appreciate your help on this one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

In the function line for cell D1 write "=B15"

I think thats what you wanted is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

c - 13 wrote:
    In the function line for cell D1 write "=B15"

I think thats what you wanted is it ?

in D1 i want to get the contents of B15 but i want to do it like =B(A1 + A2). That syntax is not allowed.

I have to include the addition of A1 and A2 aswell in the formula.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I don't know what your doing with cell B15
    but is this what you want

result 6+9=15
    if so use =CONCATENATE(A1,"+",A2,"=",A3) where sum is in A3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

^^^^
    What he said

No.

I want to add the contents A1 and A2. So A1 + A2 = 'x' This is used to reference a specific cell in column B

I want to place the current value of cell B'x', lets say the contents of B'x' are 'y' into D1. I want cell D1 = 'y'.

In other words. In cell D1 i would like to type =B(A1+A2), which would place the value contained in B(A1+A2) i.e. 'y' into D1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

formulas shown

A B C D

6 1 a =VLOOKUP(A3,B1:C26,2)
    9 2 b
    =SUM(A1:A2) 3 c
    4 d
    5 e
    etc etc

lookup.JPG

you the man, thank you.

I am amazed you cant just use the row numbers instead of having to insert the numbers myself, but hey whatever works.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cyberbob

Vegeta wrote:
    you the man, thank you.

I am amazed you cant just use the row numbers instead of having to insert the numbers myself, but hey whatever works.

Thanks

if i read you right the indirect() function will do the trick for you , all you need to do is form the address as string like ="B"&sum( ...whatever.. ) , then use this as the argument in indirect() , like =indirect("B"&sum( ...whatever.. ) ) .

read up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Nice one cyberbob. I've always wondered how you do that.

But why didn't you tell me that 5 years ago?..... Why???? :p

Advertisement