Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike theifs using liquid nitrogen?

Options
  • 11-08-2006 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

A friend told me she heard this was starting to happen – thief's carrying liquid nitrogen around in thermos flasks and pouring it on locks to easily smash them. Anyone heard of this or is it an urban myth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

In Poland where car theft is a way of life, this is done quite often with those steering wheel brace lock things, the bar that goes across the wheel.

I wouldn't be suprised anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thanks, but does anybody know firsthand if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Liquid nitrogen is neither cheap nor easy to obtain. I would say perhaps in some isolated cases, they're pinching it from University physics departments, but I very much doubt that your average scumbag is carrying it around with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

I've heard of cops using it to break U locks in USA.
    Never heard of thieves using it however.
    I'd say if a thief was interested in a bike, but wouldn't be able to get thru the lock quickly, they'd most likely pour glue into the keyhole preventing you from removing it. Then come back at night when they could take more time with it.
    But i've never heard of anyone having their bike stolen using this method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

AFAIK the Metal used in bicycle locls is not effected by liquid nitrogen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

As Seamus says, this stuff is reasonably difficult to get hold of and is fairly dangerous. If caught with it, I'd imagine the Gardaí would take a dim view.

From googling around, seemingly it's not terribly effective. The lock won't simply break apart, it needs to be smashed with a hammer. If the bicycle is locked in such a manner as there is no easy way to smash the lock without destroying the bicycle, it should be safe enough.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Liquid nitrogen for bike theft was featured in an episode of "Law & Order: SVU" with young kids carrying thermos flasks around (and big protective gloves).

Verb makes a good point about needing space to smash the lock without killing the bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

I know my uncle (whos a farmer) has a big huge bucket of it.Dont know where or when he got it though.Id doubt irish thieves would use it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

it would never work, you would need alot more than a thermos flask

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ash h wrote:
    I know my uncle (whos a farmer) has a big huge bucket of it.
    Are you confusing nitrogen with nitrogen-based fertiliser?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Victor wrote:
    Are you confusing nitrogen with nitrogen-based fertiliser?

hehe does appear so, after all you wouldn't want to be pouring liquid nitrogen on crops :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Liquid nitrogen on farms possibly Artificial Insemination related?
    Doctors would also have it for freezing an area for killing off a wart or something. Failing to think of ways scobes could get there hands on it regularly though. Twud be hard to take a fella in trackas and a burberry baseball cap seriously as an expert in cryogenics or selective breeding.

Wait, UCC are pimping it at http://chemweb.ucc.ie/Liqnitrogen.htm

"Liquid nitrogen is supplied at a very competitive price within the University and to local customers, currently € 2.00 per litre. Dewars with wheels must be supplied. Please order at least 24 hours in advance."

So, if ye see any shady looking fellas in white coats pushing a "dewar" - watch your bike;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Liquid nitrogen is not at all expensive actually - its made as a bi-product of making liquid oxygen which is very expensive. Liquid nitrogen is only a couple of times more expensive than milk!

Liquid nitrogen does make metals and particularly plastics more brittle, particularly if they're wet, so it actually sounds like a good plan, except for the fact that you'd probably do a lot of damage to the bike too!

Advertisement