Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows vista compatible???

• 11-08-2006 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi im looking at buying a new laptop, the Hp pavilion dv2058ea, its says on it windows vista compatible, but on their site it says you may need additional software or hardware if you want to run some of the other programs that come woth vista like the new vista aerohttp://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ie/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12435978-77389057.html

Can anyone explain this to me or tell me if it will be capable of running the full windows vista!

Cheers
    Miko

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

without looking it up, it may be related to the amount of RAM needed,

check the Vista requiements on www.microsoft.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The vista capable sticker doesn't mean much. I saw it on a D420 with only 8 MB of shared video ram yesterday.

The new features are meant to include trusted computing, virtualization as well as aero. Unless MS have postponed them.

I would guess that that laptop would be able to support enough of Aero as matters, it's not a directx 10 rated part, since they aren't available, and will not be for a while.

Should support virtualization and TPM, assuming the BIOS is up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

to make vista useable id recommend two serial II ata disks in raid 0 with two gig of ram + a reasonable processor as its heavy on both disk and ram.

Graphics always depends on if ur a gamer or not.

I had an older version of this on my main home machine and it makes vista useable.

thats if ur aiming for fast responce from the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

NutJob to make vista useable id recommend two serial II ata disks in raid 0 with two gig of ram + a reasonable processor as its heavy on both disk and ram.

I think the OP is talking about a laptop , never seen a laptop that could take two drives yet ,

Anyway , the only people that have Vista now are Beta testers , the end product could well be very different , there is no one who can tell you if any piece of gear is truly compatible until the final release version ,

If its that important to you , dont buy the laptop until Vista is released and the laptop ships with it. Otherwise make do with XP.
    Thats the best and only advice that anyone can seriously give you on this at this moment in time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

andy1249 wrote:
    I think the OP is talking about a laptop , never seen a laptop that could take two drives yet ,
    It's pedantic, but it is indeed to get a laptop with two drives inbuilt. For those on a smaller budget, you can get a dockable hard drive (slots in where the DVD/Floppy does) for running such a set up. Of course the very idea of attempting to run raid 0 with one dockable drive (even if you superglued it in) makes my head hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

OOPS note to self no more 1am posts.

Ignore the min spec and aim a nice bit higher no less than a gig of ram.
    Biggest hardrive within reason as itll mushroom like Xp did when "Updates"(Patches) come out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

miko wrote:
    hi im looking at buying a new laptop, the Hp pavilion dv2058ea, its says on it windows vista compatible, but on their site it says you may need additional software or hardware if you want to run some of the other programs that come woth vista like the new vista aerohttp://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ie/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12435978-77389057.html

Can anyone explain this to me or tell me if it will be capable of running the full windows vista!

Cheers
    Miko

Hi Miko,

The "Designed for Windows XP / Windows Vista Compat" logo on all hp machines is just that, at the moment hp have internal Drivers for all Units Vista Capable; The units do run perfect on Vista.

Cheers,

Michael
    michael.obrien2@hp.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

the 7200 will be fully Vista compatiable.

As for seeing a machine with 8mb Vram being listed as vista compatiable, that was most likely a machine running a GMA 900/950 or some other integrated chip and being manually set to 8mb...

Advertisement