Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClarens first England squad

• 11-08-2006 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭

Goalkeepers:
    Robinson (Tottenham), Kirkland (Liverpool), Foster (Man Utd).

Defenders:
    Bridge (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool), A Cole (Arsenal), Dawson (Tottenham), Ferdinand (Man Utd), G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Everton), Terry (capt, Chelsea), Young (Charlton).

Midfielders:
    Downing (Middlesbrough), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Richardson (Man Utd), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea).

Strikers:
    Ashton (West Ham), Bent (Charlton), Crouch (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4784203.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Will Kirkland's Dad finally win his bet!

Pretty much every player who the press complained about not being in the World Cup squad is included here.

Fair play to him though for excluding Becks, James and Campbell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Will Kirkland's Dad finally win his bet!

He won the bet ages ago..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Wheres Rooney? Is he injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suspended.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

not inc as suspended for qualifiers so why play him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

To be fair Beckham's omission at the expense of someone like Jenas is ridiculous IMO. Jenas is never going to break into the midfield where as Beckham has performed countless of times for England before, and gives them far more options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Suprised to see no becks considering he was the previous captain and all.

Then again its only a friendly so i wouldnt be too worried. I am more worried about irelands squad if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

would lennon or SWP not be more Beckhams replacements?
    as for Jenas tho i definitely agree, he has a lot to prove. IMHO he hasn't lived up to any of the hype surrounding him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Wheres Rooney? Is he injured?

"Rested" officially. Second paragraph down in Op's link.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Trampas

I say the sponsors aren't happy with beckham out as you can be sure that he is part of the reason companies sponsor england

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,351 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

To be fair Beckham's omission at the expense of someone like Jenas is ridiculous IMO. Jenas is never going to break into the midfield where as Beckham has performed countless of times for England before, and gives them far more options.
    And Richardson too ,what the hell is he doing anywhere near an international team .
    Beckham is far better than those 2 muppets.

Pennant will be the new Beckham by the end of the season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote:
    Pennant will be the new Beckham by the end of the season.

Mike.

Hmm I bet Lennon/SWP might do their best to get in their.. Lennon arguably has the head start over Pennant also.

I think SWP is a busted flush sadly. He's in the squad but unless Marueen sells/loans/plays him he has no chance. Lennon has a head start true but I think Pennant could be a bit of star with Liverpool. Could be nip and tuck, which is good for McClaren.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I wonder has Theo retired after the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I wonder has Theo retired after the World Cup?
    lol, he's called into under 21s. Him not being in the squad isn't really news as the under 21s was announced one or two days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

David Beckham has been dropped by Steve McClaren, for the upcoming friendly against Greece source: rte.ie

I personally never liked him, is this the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

This Beckham thing might just be a way for McLaren to stamp his authority. I mean, this is a friendly, anyone think he'd be left out of the squads for the qualifying games? This is just a friendly, and by ommitting Beckham from the squad he is saying, well, no name is bigger than the team. Nobody is untouchable kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

beckham at this point in his carreer offers no penetration down the right wing, he cant take on and beat anyone, as seen in the world cup.

what he does still have is the best long range pass in europe, but thats fairly useless unless u have crouch up front and are playing the half arse long ball game that england were playing in the world cup.

if it were me picking the team i'd have beckham and crouch on the bench and use them as a last ditch long ball option

having said all that, i think mcclaren is useless and the best man for the job will be sitting next to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Beckham never was a player that went past a full back. Always just used the space between himself and the full back to get his cross in. So advancing age and lack of legs is not going to harm his game in that respect.

Think you are right about McClaren though. When his first appointment was Max Clifford you know he is what Dunphy would call a spoofer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I'm very suprised that Jenas is in ahead of Parker.

Parker would bring a better balance to the midfield then Jenas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's only a bloody friendly, that is what they are there for.

I'd hate to see you people's reactions to Donadoni's first Italy squad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Beckham will be back in the squad, but after his limp WC performances he doesn't look to have much left to offer.

McLaren is not much cop anyway, he was partly responsible for the Errikson fiasco, and should have been cleared out with the rest of the rubbish rather than being given the top job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

but after his limp WC performances

If I'm not mistaken, he created or scored half of England's goal?

PHB wrote:

so he just got dropped for the laugh then yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He got dropped because it's easier to blame a captain, watch England without Beckham, you will realise despite their talent, they are an average side due to the players that they have. They as a team work off free kicks, and unless McClaren is planning on dropping either Gerrard or Lampard, they will stay that way.

beckham was truely dire at the world cup. beyond dire actually.

sven playing to his 1 remaining strength didnt do him any favours, but being captain was the only thing keeping him in that team.

any manager worth their salt would have played gerrard or lennon on the right, but hey, this is the same manager that brought a 12 year old to the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Ashton has broke his ankle training with England. That is a massive blow for the lad and West Ham.

Gerrard confirmed for the right side. Beckham was dropped for two reasons - one he's crap and two McClaren knew Terry would'nt want the old captain in the dresing room for his first game.

Dean Ashton broke his ankle - Pardrew will be pleased.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PHB wrote:

its true! out of the 2 goals england scored in the world cup from open play, he scored one of them by kicing it off the back of some poor defender :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Ashton has broke his ankle training with England. That is a massive blow for the lad and West Ham.

What a great start to the season for me as a Hammer...Gutted for Ashton too of course :mad:
    Looks like it'll be Harewood and Carlton Cole up front for WH
    And Crouch and Defoe for England

Del

Advertisement