Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen - solid wood, mdf or chip ?

Options
  • 11-08-2006 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi, I am looking at buying a new kitchen and looked at some kitchens. Some people/salesmen told me that solid wood is better, others that mdf is cheaper but looks the same and others that chipboard/melamine kitchens also looks good at a cheaper rate.

My question is why would we buy a solid kitchen (like Oak) for a fortune if we can buy a mdf/melamine kitchen for half the price and it looks very natural/same. Is there anything special to do this other than "I bought a solid wood kitchen".

I do not know a lot about kitchens or the technical details so appreciate the feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally, despite being someone who works with wood as a hobby (I'm a woodturner), I'm not sold on the whole solid wood kitchen thing, especially solid wood worktops. To me, first and foremost, a kitchen is somewhere to prepare food in, not a fashion statement or something to impress the neighbours with, so I'll go with function, hygiene and ease of cleaning over form any day. That's not to say that it shouldn't look attractive, but to my eye the better quality mdf / melamine kitchens on offer look perfectly good enough to me. I can always spend the money I've got left over on food to cook in my nice cheap new kitchen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Alun wrote:
    ..... To me, first and foremost, a kitchen is somewhere to prepare food in, not a fashion statement or something to impress the neighbours with, so I'll go with function, hygiene and ease of cleaning over form any day.
    It's about wooden chopping blocks but a lot is applicable to wood worktops
    http://www.craftbutchers.ie/index/20050120093126.html
    The hygiene argument is a bit of a red herring.

PaschalNee wrote:
    It's about wooden chopping blocks but a lot is applicable to wood worktops
    http://www.craftbutchers.ie/index/20050120093126.html
    The hygiene argument is a bit of a red herring.
    Yes, I know that, and I actually use a wooden chopping board myself FWIW, mainly out of respect for my knives.

I'd say though that having a whole kitchen worktop surface measuring several square meters to keep clean and decent looking is a different prospect. I'm sure it's doable, but I'd rather spend the time cooking TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Some people/salesmen told me that solid wood is better, others that mdf is cheaper but looks the same and others that chipboard/melamine kitchens also looks good at a cheaper rate.

Generally when places like B&Q, Woodies, advertise a kitchen as solid wood, they're only talking about the doors and drawer fronts. the units themselves are still made out of chipboard or whatever.

I have a B&Q kitchen with solid beech or birch (forgotten already) doors.

I chose the solid wood over a veneer as a veneer may start to come off at the corners after a while. same for stuck on melamine/plastic finish.

Even the so called solid doors aren't always totally solid. Mine have recessed panels, these have a veneer (but their edges are protected by the solid bits so no problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

It depends on what you want...

MDF releases formaldhyde which can be dangerous, Medite MDF is formaldhyde free which is safer, probably not used much by mass producers.

MDF and chipboard will swell up if exposed to water or a plumbing leak, this may destroy the affected parts of the kitchen, solid timber can be dryed out and will retain it's structural strength although the appearance may be slightly compromised.

Modern Vinyl wrapped doors which are very common will not withstand steam from kettles etc and may crack, they are easy to clean though. Some manufacturers use solid timber for the doors and MDF or chipboard for the carcases (cabinet sides, shelves etc) which is a good compromise.

Chipboard or MDF doesn't hold screws as well as solid timber and won't last as long but they should last a long time with normal use, don't keep slamming the doors.

Mass produced kitchens are modular in nature rather than custom sized, I know of some kitchen manufacturers who use real wood veneered MDF and make true custom sized kitchens but they are the exception.

I also know of kitchen manufacturers in Ireland and the UK who charge incredible amounts of money for truely beautiful kitchens in solid hardwoods, up to €70,000, the type of kitchen you would see in magazines, having said that the kitchens from some higher quality manufacturers are MDF and are very good, also in magazines.

It'll be hard to beat the likes of Cash & Carry on price and the appearance is well acceptable to the less discerning buyer.

A BMW is hardly worth twice the price of a well made cheaper car but people still buy them.... also clothes, TV's and virtually all goods have cheaper (and nastier) alternatives.

Cheers
    Joe

Custom pine furniture, Wicklow and Dublin, Ireland.

• Advertisement

Some manufacturers use solid timber for the doors and MDF or chipboard for the carcases (cabinet sides, shelves etc) which is a good compromise.
    I agree, I think that's a good compromise.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Like Cormac said - nearly all places are stating the door type.
    A full solid kitchen with oak sides/shelves etc would cost a fortune.

I have gone for an oak melamine 18mm for the carcass' -inside aswel.
    and the doors are solid pippy oak.

15mm is also used for carcass' but the 18mm is a lot sturdier.
    we have opted for a black granite worktop and this will complement the oak and stainless steel appliances.

ps - don't forget to check out the threads on getting your white goods in from Englend.

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Solid wood tend to last look nicer, will last longer (if maintained) and wan't go to crap like mdf or chip if there is a leak. Wooden doors are a good idea as they get the most knows and bangs, where as veneer doors tend to chip and discolour.

Theres nothing wrong with an MDF kitchen. Wooden is where the quality is though and its a kitchen for life type approach. Mdf people usually replace within ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It depends on what you want...

MDF releases formaldhyde which can be dangerous, Medite MDF is formaldhyde free which is safer, probably not used much by mass producers.

I also know of kitchen manufacturers in Ireland and the UK who charge incredible amounts of money for truly beautiful kitchens in solid hardwoods, up to €70,000, the type of kitchen you would see in magazines, having said that the kitchens from some higher quality manufacturers are MDF and are very good, also in magazines.

It'll be hard to beat the likes of Cash & Carry on price and the appearance is well acceptable to the less discerning buyer.

A BMW is hardly worth twice the price of a well made cheaper car but people still buy them.... also clothes, TV's and virtually all goods have cheaper (and nastier) alternatives.

Cheers
    Joe

Custom pine furniture, Wicklow and Dublin, Ireland.

IMO this is a nice piece of convoluted uniformed nonsense. Solid timbers are best used on exposed surfaces like doors, drawer fronts, gables etc. MDF is the preferred choice for carcase units, the better quality will have laminated MDF. At the cheap and cheerful end of the market you will get chipboard for carcase units, absolutely useless as no strenght and durability. As for appearance if you're happy with a plastic picture of a particular wood like Maple, oak etc well you'll get such options at little or no cost. But like most things you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

It comes down to what you want to pay for the kitchen and whether you'll keep it for 5, 10 or 20 years before replacing it.

We're doing up our bungalow at the moment and we looked at all the options, i.e. B&Q (€5,000), Cash & Carry(€10,000) and then the designer end of the market. We eventually decided to go for a solid wood, in-frame kitchen with solid wood carcasses from Timbercraft in Newbridge (€20,000). For the countertop, we chose black granite as a wooden work top would get scratched and marked. As we're also getting a Belfast sink, it would have been difficult to prevent water damage to the countertop around the sink.

Obviously, when spending this amount of money, we are going to keep this kitchen for a long time (do you hear that wife?). If you are the type of person who regularly updates their house, or is planning to move home in the next five years or so, then go for the Cash & Carry kitchens as their staff are very helpful and the kitchens are good value. You could also try Noyeks and Kitchen World.

Word of warning re. chipboard, it has damn all strength and will swell if it comes into contact with water. My first house had a kitchen with chipboard carcasses and some of the shelves collapsed when loaded with tins etc. A washing machine leak also caused the carcassess to bulge and swell. Go for MDF or solid wood if you can afford them.

Best of luck tramping around all these kitchen places. Maybe its just me, but it seems its just women who enjoy doing these things.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BrentMaster

Cheers all for the feedback.

I think we will go for the cheaper option as my wife definitely would like to change the kitchen in 5 years time. Also, solid wood might be the better option for the long term but I just would not pay €20 000 for a kitchen. I saw some nice mdf kitchens from In-House (Panelling Centre) and Noyeks Newmans so will go for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

Anyone know if InHouse are MDF or Chipboard carcasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The last kitchen I bought off them a year or two was laminated mdf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BrentMaster

In-House carcasses are 18mm chip, some of their door ranges are MDF. TBH I would not be too concerned about the carcases as you do not see them once you fit the doors, handles, plinth, sink, tap, etc. as these really make the kitchen look good.

How many times do you open a kitchen door and go "mmm, my carcasses are solid wood or chip?"

Also, once you stash all your groceries, pots and pans in the cupboards you forget about the carcasses...just my opinion.;)

antoinolachtnai - what kitchen did you buy from In-House and are you happy with your purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Can't remember which one it was, was not a very fancy one.

It was perfectly good.

I know some of it was MDF, maybe not all the carcases were, i will check again sometime (probably not soon!)

They are fine, and the prices are ok, especially if you get a discount. Getting them to order things in for you however, is a waste of time.

I think the main thing with a kitchen is the layout. I've seen houses with 10k kitchens, with really crap layouts, no view from the sink, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

i am about to buy a kitchen. which is better quality, 18mm chipboard or 18mm mdf and what are the disadvantages and disadvantages

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

IMO this is a nice piece of convoluted uniformed nonsense. Solid timbers are best used on exposed surfaces like doors, drawer fronts, gables etc. MDF is the preferred choice for carcase units, the better quality will have laminated MDF. At the cheap and cheerful end of the market you will get chipboard for carcase units, absolutely useless as no strenght and durability. As for appearance if you're happy with a plastic picture of a particular wood like Maple, oak etc well you'll get such options at little or no cost. But like most things you get what you pay for.

Nice debating style... criticise the other guy who has given reasons for what he has said, then state your own opinion as if it was a self evident fact.

MDF is the preferred choice for carcases by mass producers, not for reasons of quality but for reasons of ease of use and cost. Solid timber is a better choice than MDF or chipboard in almost all applications, it is more durable. Few MDF carcases will be around in 50 years time...

MDF and chipboard would be similar in my opinion, they share many of the same advantages and disadvantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

lads, get yourselves up to Ikea sharpish. you can do up your plan online and check how much it's costing www.ikea.co.uk/belfast

Priced units for our 25m2 kitchen complete with island at €2,500k, this doesnt include worktop but does include handles, sink and fancy tap thingy.

out of curiosity priced with noyeks and their carcasses alone (which didn't look especially great) were costing WAY more than entire kitchen from Ikea.

Both kitchens priced were vinyl wrapped.

Advertisement