Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia and Linksys WRT54GS

• 11-08-2006 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Just got BT Broadband installed with an Eircom Netopia 2-Port Combi Router, but as I doesn't have wireless I want to connect it to the Linksys WRT54GS. Whats the easiest way to do this? I had it connected to the NTL Modem when I had cable broadband and it was fine but now I just cant manage to connect the 2!
    Anyone done this before!?
    Cheerz

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I have this done right now.

Plug netopia into the linksys, set the DNS records in the linksys, and voila, you're done.

Someone will be along shortly to explain a more complicated (and better for torrenting) way of doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Put eircom modem into bridge mode. Then use linksys to handle the eircom settings (username, password etc). Lots of posts about this here. Have a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

I know what I had to do but the instructions to bridge the eircom router weren't on the netopia website as I updated the firmware which is worse then the previous one and so didn't know how to bridge it! Also the IP of the eirome router has changed from 192.168.1.254 to ??? i don't know what as I never entered any any IP! Finally borrowed another eircom modem and bridged it! Now I have to find out how to reset the eircom modem? How can I go back to the previous firmware? And how am I supposed to find out what the IP of the eircom modem is!? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

The IP for the netopia is probably chaged to 192.168.1.1
    if you want to check it the plug you PC into it alone so it obtains an IP from the netopia
    then click start/run and type cmd to open the command line
    type ipconfig/all and it should show your connection settings.

The Default Gateway is the address of the Netopia

Reverting the firmware on the netopia is not a good idea, the netopia website specifically warns against this

Tried all that! The default gateway just doesn't showup! ok i won't revert the firmware but unless i know the IP then I can't even configure it in bridge mode :( how the hell did the IP change when I never even confirmed anything! Even the netopia site doesn't say anything about this! Its like all I did was change the firmware and the next moment I can't find it... :o

• Advertisement

What model number is the netopia?

Netopia 3341 2-Port Combi Router

Default ip of netopia is http://192.168.1.254. If you can't connect to it, check the ip address of your laptop using ipconfig. It should be 192.168.1.x and subnet 255.255.255.0.

It was that when I first installed the modem! to update the firmware i used 192.168.1.254 but after the update I couldn't use it! ipconfig doesn't show the default gateway and it says IP is Automatically Assigned and is like 169.xxx.xxx.xxx not the usual 192.168.xxx.xxx :confused:

ipconfig doesn't show the default gateway and it says IP is Automatically Assigned and is like 169.xxx.xxx.xxx not the usual 192.168.xxx.xxx :confused:

That's ur prob. It's not getting a ip address assigned. Are u connecting your laptop to netopia directly using ethernet cable?

• Advertisement

Yea I know thats the problem! Yup connected the laptop to netopia directly with the ethernet cable, ipconfig /all brings up the following:

DHCP Enabled : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address : 169.254.161.76
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
    Dafault Gateway : :confused:

Is there any program which allows to scan a range of IPs the laptop is connected to? That way maybe I can find the IP of the modem!? I'm thinking that the modem will be having an IP like 169.254.xxx.xxx so I can start the scan that way! Years ago I had this kind of program but don't know now how to get it!

No the ip address of router is as I have stated. The problem is that you're not getting an ip address assigned to your laptop from the modem and hence can not connect to it. Manually set the ip of your laptop to 192.168.1.10 and subnet 255.255.255.0 and then try and access the modem page.

Thanks! got it, have bridged it as well now and its working! the guide didn't show the exact way to bridge that as the firmware is newer then what they have shown! Anyway I got it done and so all is well now!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

slightly OT, and im not sure if it works on the S model of that router, but the dd-wrt firmware might be worth upgrading to. I have a netopia in bridge mode to a WRT54G with dd-wrt, the customisation possible is amazing for such a cheap simple setup.

For a bog standard user, the linksys firmware is enough. Most users don't need or can even use the advanced features of a third party firmware.

Can you pass me the link to the dd-wrt firmware? Also some tutorials on it will do! G and GS is quite a difference so will have to check if its compatible with the GS! Used Hyper WRT on the G a while ago and it woz better then the linksys firmware! but it isn't recommended for the GS! Also the GS versions available here in Ireland lately are mostly CGN8 V5.1! And HyperWRT doesn't fully support it!

Advertisement