Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very Weird Occurance

• 11-08-2006 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Just discovered this sub-forum so I thought I'd post this...

Every once in a while I wake up in the middle of the night screaming thinking I've seen a spider either crawl down onto me from the ceiling or on the wall. Even though the room is pitch black and there's no way I'd see the spider in the dark, I just jump out of bed and put the light on.

I do have a fear of spiders btw, anyone have any idea's as to why I have these occurances?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

stephen p wrote:
    Just discovered this sub-forum so I thought I'd post this...

Every once in a while I wake up in the middle of the night screaming thinking I've seen a spider either crawl down onto me from the ceiling or on the wall. Even though the room is pitch black and there's no way I'd see the spider in the dark, I just jump out of bed and put the light on.

I do have a fear of spiders btw, anyone have any idea's as to why I have these occurances?

Your phobia is without a doubt the cause. Have you looked into getting some help with that? Hypnotherapy might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Indeed maybe you need to get your phobia sorted out and see if the problems decrease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Although I have a fear of spiders, recently I've started to confront them more to get rid of them - I must sound like a pansy :o but i still would sh!t myself if I saw a big one.

I've never seeked any help with the phobia (Hypnotherapy etc...), it's something I should really look into but its expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

You dont sound silly. I have a fear of spiders myself and had a couple of dreams about them lately (not as bad as yours). I know mine only started as I was reading about them in the Stress Dream thread.

I used to vacum all around the room to make sure no webs were left so I felt better thinking (thinking be the word here) that no spiders were left in the room.

I am not as fearful as I used to be as when we moved into our current house there was so many I got pissed off and just started to hammer them when ever I saw one. Although if a big one is near me I will run and get someone else to get rid of it for me.

Ask your doctor about some other cheaper ways that mayabe available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

stephen p wrote:
    I've never seeked any help with the phobia (Hypnotherapy etc...), it's something I should really look into but its expensive!

Well, it is interfering with your sleep. You don't need sessions forever afterwards. They maybe a little price, but it would be worth it if it relaxed your fear.

Interweb search ftw. :)

• Advertisement

99.9% of the time I sleep perfect. I'm going to keep a note of how frequent I wake up screaming over a period of a couple of months. The last time it happened was last weekend and the time before that was probably about 6 months to a year ago. I went through a stressful time about 2 years ago and it happened quite frequent then so perhaps its a stress related thing also. I sit up in my sleep sometimes also and say nonsensical stuff, and again perhaps it's all inter-linked with stress of some sort.

Thanks for your replies!!

_sp_

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Screaming? That's pretty severe. I would seek a little counseling to help sort things out if I was you.

Screaming might be a tad wee exaggeration. :o I do wake up shouting but not really screaming. :o:o:p

Advertisement