Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partition Magic and GRUB... laptop goosed

• 11-08-2006 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

Before I installed ubuntu I made a partition for it with partition magic 8 but ubuntu created its own partition. So the one I created was going to waste. I decided to merge it with the ubuntu one using partition magic.... now grub wont load so I cant load WinXP. I've 3 exams next week and seriously need my laptop and my stuff on XP so any help is appreciated.

The only thing I can do now is boot Ubuntu from the CD. Would this work, if I installed ubuntu on the partition again and it'll clean that partition and have GRUB working again?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If reinstalling grub doesn't work, stick in the Windows XP cd, load up the recovery console, log in and type fixmbr and fixboot. Load up Windows and format the Linux partitions and start again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I somehow got into winxp by re-installing ubuntu, it insisted on creating ANOTHER partition! my hard drives a mess, there's an amount of wasted space. do you know how i can incorporate all this into winXP wheres its needed the most

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You can delete the paritions and resize the Windows partition with Partition Magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

What partitions are safe to delete? Heres my hard drive according to PM8:
    pm8.JPG

Thanks for any help you can give me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

Windows and linux are still there , use the Partion magic 8 cd, boot from it, I think it option 2 or 3, the select windows or linux to boot in to.That be the default as .

What I did was resized my windows partion to 10GB the about 1GB for the FAT 32( if you dont make it logical you use it as a "no mans land" as both linux and windoes can read FAT32) and then left the rest blank , partion it with Ubuntu on install with 1gb swap, also set boot off /root not the MRB.Then going in to boot magic, and set /root as the other partion to boot.Restart and partion magic takes over.Also ever time you reinstall you'll need Partion Magic to boot in you new linux partion, to finish the install well on Ubuntu any way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement