Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Apartment - Need advice about broadband

• 11-08-2006 6:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I am moving out of my parents house into the big bad world now that I have just finished college and I need some advice on getting broadband. The apartment is in Sandycove which is just outside Dalkey.

Here is where I stand at the moment:

- There is a phoneline in the apartment but it is no longer connected so there is no longer a phone number.
    - As far as I can tell the only options that I have are Eircom, BT, Digiweb and possibly NTL.

Does anyone know if NTL broadband is available in my area? According to www.broadband.gov.ie they do offer a cable modem service. Now im going to be moving in with my mate so we both have a laptop and would therefore both like to be on the net at the same time. Is this possible with NTL's service or does it only support a single computer?

As for the other options that I have, they would all require me getting my phoneline connected. According to Eircom this doesnt cost anything. But my question is would it be possible for to re-connect the phoneline and then immediately switch to BT or Digiweb? I cant afford to pay a line rental and then broadband on top of that. We are both young and will be boke most of the time and need our broadband to be as cheap as possible. If I do switch to BT or Digiweb do I still have to pay Eircoms phone rental?

Any advice you guys can give would be great because im kind of at a loss at the moment. If you could recommend me a service or even any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Call NTL sales and ask, they will be able to tell you if is available. BTW since you are a new customer with NTL, you can probably get the analogue TV service free for 12 months and the BB free for 3 months.

You can use the BB with two pc's but you need to get a Broadband router (wireless capable preferably). NTL sometimes give these out for free, so make sure to ask when you call their sales line, if they say no, then ask the installer for one. If you can't get one then you will need to buy one.

Usually Eircom need to activate the line and you will need to pay them line rental until you move over to the other company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I don't think that govt website is up to much.
    It tells me I can get NTL when it's not available in the area
    I'm currently on eircom broadband and it's not listed as available

Not too accurate from what I can see

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

bk wrote:
    Call NTL sales and ask, they will be able to tell you if is available. BTW since you are a new customer with NTL, you can probably get the analogue TV service free for 12 months and the BB free for 3 months.

You can use the BB with two pc's but you need to get a Broadband router (wireless capable preferably). NTL sometimes give these out for free, so make sure to ask when you call their sales line, if they say no, then ask the installer for one. If you can't get one then you will need to buy one.

Thanks for the advice mate. It turns out that the last people that were living in the apartment had NTL broadband so it is available to me. That deal that you siad about free tv for 12 months and broadband for 3 sounds like a brilliant deal. Ill definitely ask them about that.

Thanks for the advice about the router as well. Il be able to get my hands on wireless router no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nefertiri

We got BT broadband in the house I am in in Dublin. My mother also has that new calls, line rental & BB package at home in Cork. She's delighted with it because she can make unlimited calls & it only costs something like €50 a month. We don't have the same package in the house in Dublin...we have just BB but between 3 of us it works out at something like €20 a month each. I have seen posts on boards complaining about BT BB but I think it's fine, speedwise. Sometimes when I go home & use the BB there it isn't always great but that could be the area my mother is in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭afcdave

Anyone know the best value telephone / broadband combo at the moment? Despite living not too far from the city centre my ntl 'node' is not enabled for broadband so i cant go with them. I hear Eircom are fecking expensive as well?

• Advertisement
Advertisement