Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tweak your windows?

Options
  • 11-08-2006 7:00pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

I usually use Nlite to strip out parts of windows I dont need... but I reinstalled windows the other day and it takes ages to boot, I used to be able to boot in 25 seconds or so...

So do you tweak your windows installs in any way? If so how do you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

nLite is the only/best/easiest way! nLite FTW :)

It's the programs you install afterwards that are the main culprits of boot/loading slowdown I find.
    Try Bootvis to speed up the loading of drivers/programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
    Would usually follow the instructions there combined with using msconfig to stop some of the unneeded startup programmes....
    Also disable all the fancy background transitioning if it is XP.

I played around with NLITE lately though and it looks the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ya, i've a list ere printed out, something like majorgeek instructions. dunno where i got it. Have tuned windows everytime i reinstalled. I disable as many services as possible. Must get nlite tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I remember a while back reading that Windows Xp will always have a slower boot time with over clocked systems. Do you find that when its booting up, everything sort of stops for about 10-20 seconds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

conzymaher wrote:
    I usually use Nlite to strip out parts of windows I dont need... but I reinstalled windows the other day and it takes ages to boot, I used to be able to boot in 25 seconds or so...

So do you tweak your windows installs in any way? If so how do you do it?

You can't go too nuts with removing things with nLite. I remove very few things from my windows installs these days because nliting too much stuff out will ALWAYS break things randomly. I only take out the security center and a few other useless apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

i just use the msconfig command, uncheck the boxes i think i dont need can get windows down to 11 processes if i try but generally run about 15-16, just after startup.
    boot takes anout 40 secconds on normal drive.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I remember a while back reading that Windows Xp will always have a slower boot time with over clocked systems. Do you find that when its booting up, everything sort of stops for about 10-20 seconds?

Well it shows the loading screen with the bars for around a minute?? But once its in windows it very fast...

Im not overclocked at the minute, I loaded optimized defaults while installing windows which could actually be my problem because the DFI board sets some weird timings for the ram, I will set it back to my usual settings and see what happens.....
    You can't go too nuts with removing things with nLite. I remove very few things from my windows installs these days because nliting too much stuff out will ALWAYS break things randomly. I only take out the security center and a few other useless apps.

I know, I learned that the hard way! I spent a few hours removing every last piece I didnt use and used loads of tweaks....

It wouldnt even boot :(:D

I just removed the tour, msn explorer, security centre, and some other useless stuff, but nothing major...

I also havent dont any service/startup tweaking yet so that could be adding to the problem....

While were on the topic of windows, does anyone have any other tips or things they do?

I was thinking of making an image of my windows partition, and instead of reinstalling next time, just restore the image...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

conzymaher wrote:
    While were on the topic of windows, does anyone have any other tips or things they do?
    There are plenty of facts on this site to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

lol :D

ye, nlite all the way, apart from stripping out the unwanted stuff, nice and handy to include the drivers/apps I want. The unattended setup is just perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh nlite is pretty good, but windows being windows it still does get slower the more u install :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I found if you disable the secondary ide channels in the device manager it will stop windows looking for a HDD or CD drive on boot up that isnt there :)

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

pfft windows :/

Shame on you all

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

WizZard wrote:
    There are plenty of facts on this site to help you.

:mad: :o:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

anti wrote:
    pfft windows :/

Shame on you all

I'm sure you're using OSX/Linux to play the games using your ageia card... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

astrofool wrote:
    I'm sure you're using OSX/Linux to play the games using your ageia card... :)

if only :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I followed the process disabling on majour geeks to speed up things on my laptop now its not picking up my wireless connection at home... You know which process is responisible for that without me having to go back through the whole lot again?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The "Wireless Zero Configuration" service is most likely the culprit.
    Set it to Automatic and start it......

As always make sure you have some clue of what services you are disabling and what services you need.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Ya found that and zonealarm picked up my wireless network but my mistake in not adding the ip range into it.. So think zonealarm was the one causing the problems and not anything else. I'll check when i go home sure ... Ta

Advertisement