Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chord extensions

Options
  • 11-08-2006 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Right so, I understand the basic chord progressions of major and minor scales etc... but are there any rules governing which extensions you use on a chord and when they should be used?

For example a Gm9 going to Am7 sounds good. Is it all down to what sounds good or are there any guide lines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

There are some guitarists who'd agree with the "rules" but if you want it to sound smooth and more natural (less "music by numbers") use your ears - that's what I do and I'm brillaint! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Indeed, I'm aware that using your ears is very helpful and that's what I've been doing up to now but it would help to know some standard chord extension sequences or some guidelines to help. I'd be using them solely as guidelines and on top of that would use my listening to see where I can go from there.

You wont be turning me into a "by the book" player by helping me out. ;)

Advertisement