Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Timing Belt Bedding in Period

Options
  • 11-08-2006 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I had a new timing belt installed on my wife's Polo yesterday....since then I've noticed a strange noise coming from that area of the hood. The mechanic tells me there is a "bedding in period" before it goes back to normal. He is an excellent mechanic....any u guys ever experienced something similar after a timing belt change??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

What sort of noise?

A squeal, rumble, clatter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

its so hard 2 describe....its like a girrrrr, it only lasts a few seconds after a gear change and goes away. we never heard this noise b4..only since we got the t-belt changed. The mechanic says it's quite common??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

rkeane wrote:
    its so hard 2 describe....its like a girrrrr, it only lasts a few seconds after a gear change and goes away. we never heard this noise b4..only since we got the t-belt changed. The mechanic says it's quite common??
    every gear change or just the first one when you pull away?

I never remember it on the Alfa when I got the T-belt changed...the engine actually sounded smoother...how long did he say the "bedding-in" period would be for?

Maybe its specific to Polo's/VW's? Did you try a VW forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Hi,

It effects about the 1st 3 gears, I thought it would run smoother after the change. In any event he said that it would last about a week, he also said I could bring it back if it hadn't gone away by then. At least I know that this guy stands over his work.

Advertisement