Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for first real gig

• 11-08-2006 8:27pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads I need some tips on going my first proper set to a big live crowd. Some friends are organising a pretty large party in a barn in the middle of nowhere and I've been asked to dj for a while, with a few others too. I've played a few times at small party's I've organised, usually small house parties, but never to a proper crowd of 100+. I haven't been mixing as much as I usually do recently so I'm a bit out of practice, but I suppose if I stick to what I know and play a few of the old reliables I should be fine.

To get an idea of the style of music I'll be playing, I have a few sets online that you can download here but I'm not really sure what anyone else will be playing, could be a lot harder or more underground. However it is more of a crowd of occaisional clubbers and not hardcore enthusiasts. Not sure whether I should play mostly unknown stuff and maybe occiasionally throw in a huge floorfiller that everyone knows or what. Can anyone tell me how they usually structure their sets? Its great to play what you like, but at the end of the day you have to play what the crowd wants to hear, without getting too cheesy.

Can anyone give me some advise? I'll be using a laptop with Virtual DJ and an External Mixer (Hercules DJ Console). Sometimes it can be a but tricky with the levels etc, but I'm sure it will very different with a large PA system.

Any and all advise and stories of your experiences would be really appreciated.
    Cheers
    Zascar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What time will you be on at? And what do the other djs play?

Also, if at the end someone tells you not to quit the day job, dont get to upset. ;)

Advertisement