Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Looking for an amplifier?

• 11-08-2006 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok I mainly use my PC for gaming, and as such I usually only use headphones, when I want to watch movies I have the sound connected into my TV via a RCA Connector. Is it possible to just buy an amplifier for a computer that has an input for my headphones and an RCA output (alternatively it could just be an amplifier with 2 x 3.5mm Stereo jack inputs). I've been looking around and all I seem to be able to find is speaker sets.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Presume you mean an output for you headphones? Technically it doesn't need to be an amplifier, the sound won't need to be amplified, just sent as a line level signal to your TV or headphones. You might get away with using RCA/Minijack converter cables like this, if I'm not misunderstanding you:
    http://www.autotoys.com/pics/thumbs/t_35minimale.jpg

I'm no expert BTW - you might get a better response over in the Home Entertainment forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

cornbb wrote:
    you might get a better response over in the Home Entertainment forum :)
    Indeed. Off we go!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Presume you mean an output for you headphones? Technically it doesn't need to be an amplifier, the sound won't need to be amplified, just sent as a line level signal to your TV or headphones. You might get away with using RCA/Minijack converter cables like this, if I'm not misunderstanding you:

Line level is typically 1v peak to peak and usually needs to be amplified , the headphone output is normally amplified and thats why its generally a bad idea to feed this to a line level input as that means amplfying twice with the resulting distortion and possible speaker damage.

Line level sent to a TV assumes that the TV will use its own amplifier to produce the output , likewise with any standalone amp or reciever.

For the original OP , the cheapest option for yourself would be one of the bundled amp and speaker sets , I know of no standalone amp with that few inputs/outputs , but maybe someone else does ?

Advertisement