Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Test

• 11-08-2006 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, Looking for a bit of help.

As per a request from my ISP I did a ping test as follows:

ping www.ireland.ie -n 100

The results were as follows:

Ping statistics for 193.95.160.211:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 0, Lost = 100 (100% loss)

That is crap ya?

I also did another one for them as follows:
    ping 62.231.32.10 -n 100

I got the same results, Crap?

I have to send a full report back to them.

Can someone here do the same tests or something as I dont really have a benchmark.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I cant reach 193.95.160.211 either but the other address is grand from me....
    100% Loss means your link is completely down to this site/s or the address itself is down.
    What happens when you do type tracert 193.95.160.211

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ping www.ireland.ie -n 100
    100% loss

ping 62.231.32.10 -n 100
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 101ms, Average = 52ms

I'm with Chorus BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Here lads this is an image of the result of the tracert.
    What is the story here.
    I dont understand much of it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

kippy wrote:
    I cant reach 193.95.160.211 either but the other address is grand from me....
    100% Loss means your link is completely down to this site/s or the address itself is down.
    What happens when you do type tracert 193.95.160.211

I think it could also simply mean that the network admin for ireland.ie has set it up not to respond to pings.

I also cant reach 193.95.160.211 but could get the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to broadband.

• Advertisement

I think it could also simply mean that the network admin for ireland.ie has set it up not to respond to pings.
    That be true also. Tough to tell in this situation.
    The tracert allows you to see where the connection is rejected.
    I am not sure that that address-if it is a piece of network hardware or otherwise.
    I would send the results of the pings and tracerts to your provider, if this is what they have asked for.
    What is the issue you called them about in the first place anyway?

I wouldnt call any of these results crap-although this does depend on what the issue is that you are having-if you somehow need to communicate with these IP addresses then it is indeed crap-however if you are online without problems then its not so crap.

Good Question,

I am using irishbroadband breeze 1mb.
    Whenever my friends come round they laugh at how slow pages and stuff load, I have cleaned the entire somputer out THERE IS NO SPYWARE OR ANY VIRUSES.

Very soon I am going to be wanting to get me xbox 360 online, now if what I have to endure everyday is what I am to expect when I plug the 360 on then I feel I would be wasting time.

I am thinking of moving to a wired broadband service (Please dont recommend any, no offence, that is not my issue) as I beleive it would be more stable/faster.

Would I be wasting my time connecting 360 up to this current connection?

:confused:
    Thanks for any advice

What is the result of ping to www.boards.ie?
    (just looking for a base figure)
    Average ping from my PC to www.boards.ie is 20ms
    I am on the Digiweb metro (3 Meg down 512 up)

I have used IBB before in Galway and have not had any problems.

If I were you I would call them and let them know the results, those IP's they asked you to Ping may have some relevance to their services.....and indeed your connection or they may just be random IP's.

Hi Kippy,
    Average on mine is 95ms

That is bad enough ya?
    The reason I started running these tests is because they asked me to as part of an investigation they are running for me.

They also asked me to run the test on this site http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php.
    I got a result of 696kbps down and an up of 31.1kbps

also 49% service quality.
    What do ye get?

95ms is pretty piss poor all right-although pages should still be loading etc, Even on my BB 2 Meg package I was getting 30ms to this site.
    Your download speed is not bad-what site did you use to test it again and how did you test it?
    www.irishisptest.com should give you a fair indication.
    The problem is the service quality-less that 50% is very poor, and packets look to be getting dropped somewhere.

• Advertisement

Ya well spotted even though I didnt mention what was getting lost.
    I lose about 3-5 packets on every ping.
    Would this work on xboxlive?
    I am starting to lose confidence now in my provider.
    This has been going on nearly 3 months. I know they did upgrade the site I was connecting to over the last 3 months but I can never get them to really look at it.
    It was grand when i first got it about 8 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Right where to start. I'm with IBB. Lets start with that. Your pings are atrocious. Broadband within Ireland should not be over 50 at the most. Those stars in the tracert are packets/data lost in the Ibb network. Nothing new there, they have a terrible system. The high 300's are the ping spikes before the packets is lost. Nothing new there either. Some people would think "Oh but its wireless". Its a great system with the same hardware in other countrys, Ibb just makes a balls of it here.

If your site loads slow, or does not load at all chances are you have what I call "About to be a pissed IBB customer syndrom". Because as you ask for advice and learn some things about networking, you are going to find that you are and never were getting the broadband you have been paying for.

You need to run some speed tests. This site would be a good place to start. Run the speed test. What it tells you, is your real speeds that you are currently getting. For instance, I'm on a 2meg bussiness package, and getting 1.2meg down and 1.3 meg up. I can live with that. Please feel free to post up what details you got.

I couldnt tell you for sure if it would effect xbox live- I use live over my connection without any problems-even though I have a wireless connection from my Xbox to my router and my connection to the provider is wireless ( I have seen before where advise has been given that all this wireless is bad for latency-havent noticed it yet)
    I would think that the issues you are having would definetly have a major negative effect on it, but as I said above-I am veering on the side of caution here.
    If I were you I would probably look into changing provider after advising IBB that you are planning to do this unless service improves a lot.
    Not much more I can help you with-even though the help I have given you hasnt been that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Average on mine is 95ms

They also asked me to run the test on this site http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php.
    I got a result of 696kbps down and an up of 31.1kbps

also 49% service quality.
    What do ye get?

Sorry I missed that post while going off on my rant. 95ms is terrible. And, my sweet jesus, you get better upload with 56k modems. I hate my connection and I'm getting a quality of 93% :eek:

Ok lads I feel like crying now :( I will be on to them on Monday.
    I have sent the results back to them but i have to wait now!!
    They have been charging me away goodo. Now I did tell them I was gonna cut off the DD on my end (open24.ie, great service) if they didnt stop charging me.
    I will post back and let ye all know what happens.

Seriously, thanks for all the help and advice.

krazy_8s wrote:
    you have what I call "About to be a pissed IBB customer syndrom".

Ok Guys, I finally have become too patient, and as promised here is some further news on my complaint.

This is the letter i sent them tonight.

Good Morning,

I am very sad to say that I have finally had enough of the lazy attitude of Irishbroadband.

For over 2 months now I have been trying to have an issue resolved regarding my extremely poor level of service.

I first contacted your company in June re problem above, it was explained to me that there was a problem with one of your sites on the Clarion Hotel in Limerick.
    This was being looked into, which, is understandable. However, roughly 2 weeks later I called again and was advised this problem had been resolved. This problem certainly had not been resolved for me.
    I was advised an engineer would call over the following week. It seems an engineer did call, however I was not in the country at the time thus the problem could not be solved. No alternative call out was arranged with the contact at my home..
    I called again about 1 week later, at which point your systems were down and I was promised a callback the following tuesday as the bank holiday Monday was approaching. I am very sad to say this call back never happened.

Finally, I called again on the 11th August and was emailed a LINE SPEED TEST document to complete, which involved some tests.
    It states clearly on the test that a callback to update on progress made would be arranged within 24 hours. Again I am sorry to say this never happened.

When I called initially in June, I was assured that there would be a credit applied to my account going forward, by your customer services representitives, which would corresspond with the loss of service. This also never happened.

Having being working in the wireless telecommunications industry over the last number of years myself, I understood at this early stage in the disruption of service, that it is not possible to guarantee abolute full service, thus I did not cancel my Direct Debit.
    I allowed the Direct Debits to be extracted from my account each cycle, as I had both confidence and trust in Irishbroadband to do what is right.

However, I recently checked my Banking onilne and can see no such credit was ever applied.

I have maintained patience, but it is with sorrow, in a final effort to have this issue resolved, I write to you.

If I cannot have this issue resolved asap, as I have been very co-operative ant patient, I will have no alternative but to take one of the following actions:

1) Contact Consumer Affairs re the credits that were never applied, and also the ongoing billing for little or no service.

2) Disconnect the service entirely, walk away from the contract and demand a refund backdating to early june

I am very familiar with the workings of personal computers and also very familiar with standard expectations of broadband quality, and I can assure the problem does not lie on my part. I have continued to be patient and up to now, have accepted the desperate service of my connection. However, I have finally had enough.

May i finally add, when I first connected early this year, the service was outstanding. I have found your customer services agents both attentive and helpful through out all of this.
    As I stated above, I too work in wireless telecommunications, however when I compare the customer satisfaction model of the company I work for, with your company, I am sorry to say your company is left lacking in the most vital aspect of customer care - following up.

I should get a reply from them tomorrow
    Wish me luck and thanks again for the advice

Advertisement