Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatemate using 90% of bandwidth

• 11-08-2006 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I have a flatmate who is always downloading movies, films games etc and I have told him to only do this when everybody is out of the house or asleep in bed as it is slowing down the network no end. The rest of us in the flat are left with pish all bandwidth, even loading up basic web pages becomes a chore. Is there any way to 'Cut off' part of his bandwidth or to restrict his bandwidth in someway so that other people can use our network to full potential? Or is there a way to speed up my own connection without interfering with his? We have a 2MB connection and that does not look like changing for the near future...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Hi, I'm Karoma. I'm psychic. I have your answers written on this piece of paper.

Seriously, help us to help you. You should really post in the most appropriate forum. And, at the very least, give us some information about the network setup, app's he's using,and other such useful nuggets of information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There is a way to limit bandwitdth but there are many questions and answers that need to be provided.
    Some of the most basic:
    Are you all sharing the cost of this connection?(probably the most important) And in fairness I think you should discuss this more with the flatmate before doing anything further as it will save a lot of messiness later on.
    Who set up the hardware that shares the connection and who has the usernames and passwords?
    What hardware is the connection shared through?
    Have you read the documentation for this hardware and does it mention any thing about QoS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to broadband. More relevant there I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Dont listen to these 2 battys :p , when he's not around install net limiter on his pc, limit his bandwith and run away, sorted :D. Im gonna do the same thing on my mom/sisters pc, damn bebo screws over my pings all nite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

just tell him to stop being a total ass, and if that doesnt work, wait till he's asleep, and...you know :rolleyes:

if he agrees, you can put a download limiter on each computer, limiting all computers to a certain amount. we had this last year, and it was grand. limited to aout 110k download each, which was fine for me and wow.
    when he's not around install net limiter on his pc, limit his bandwith and run away

thats the one we used too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Either by him agreeing to set-up software on his machine, or by telling his download programs to limit their bandwidth.

The other option is Qos, which is in some routers. You can limit programs bandwidth priority through ports or a pc's mac address. The ports option can be changed and so can the mac address if hes smart enough. Routers come with default passwords, does he have control of thses? New passwords can be cracked as well.

Basicly, the only option you really have if hes determined is to either kick him off the BB connection and tell him to get his own or get him to stop doing it.

Advertisement