Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a new wireless modem/router to Eircom

• 11-08-2006 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I started with Eircom broadband in pre wireless days using the old Netopia wired modem. I subsequently installed a D-Link Wireless Router/Modem which worked perfectly within 5 mins of opening the box! However, the range was poor and the furthest corners of the house(where the pc's were) had a very poor signal. I purchased a Netgear Mimo DG834PN Modem Wireless Router and am having setup problems. I can set up a perfect wireless network with strong signals but no matter what I try, it will not recognise the ADSL conection and therefore, will not connect to Eircom.

Eircom support wash their hands of the problem and Netgear support is equally useless. Has anyone had a similar problem (or found a solution)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Have you tried setting it up manually?

The Settings are as follows (You may not have all of them in you menu)

Encapsulation: (PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) (RFC 2516))
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    PPP Multiplexing: LLC Based
    QOS: UBR
    Compression: None
    Authentication: Chap
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1

If that doesn't work post the system log here; that should have a failure message on the wan connection. I assume you are getting Sync at this stage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In fairness to Eircom or indeed any other isp they only undertake to support the router/modem they supply. I had a very similar problem with a netgear a while ago when I was with UTV no matter what I tried it would not connect - I ended up returning it.

If as the poster above says you have sync and you have all the settings correct then the likelihood is that there is something wrong with the router and you should return it. (Any possibility of trying it on someone else's connection?)

Advertisement