Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence to sell (postage) stamps

Options
  • 11-08-2006 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I work for a pub/restaurant that occupies a historic building in a tourist area, and due to demand this summer we had some postcards made that tourists buy, we sell the cards for 50c which allows a small profit (it was a small print run so the cost was high)

anyway naturally people who buy the cards want to buy (postage) stamps for them. However, this sounds petty but I don't think that we can sell (postage) stamps without a licence!

Look at the STAMP DUTIES CONSOLIDATION ACT, 1999, section 146.
    146.—(1) The Commissioners may, in their discretion, grant a licence to any person to deal in stamps at any place to be named in the licence.

(2) The licence shall specify the full name and place of abode of the person to whom the same is granted, and a description of every house, shop, or place, in or at which such person is authorised to deal in stamps.

(3) Every person to whom a licence is granted shall give security in the sum of £1,000 in such manner and form as the Commissioners shall prescribe, and, if by bond, the bond shall be exempt from stamp duty.

(4) One licence and one bond only shall be required for any number of persons in partnership, and the licence may at any time be revoked by the Commissioners.

(5) Every person licensed to deal in stamps shall cause to be visibly and legibly painted and shall keep so painted in letters of not less than one inch in length on some conspicuous place on the outside of the front of every house, shop, or place in or at which such person is licensed to deal in stamps, such person's full name, together with the words "Licensed to sell stamps", and for every neglect or omission so to do shall incur a penalty of £1,000.

I'm hoping this that the word "stamps" there refers to the stamp duty kind, and not the postage kind but considering the potential fine of IEP 1000 / EUR 1270 I need to be sure, a workaround of course would be to sell a "postcard" for EUR 1 that already has a stamp on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've noticed that newsagents etc that sell stamps usually do have a plaque outside saying "Licensed to sell postage stamps" so i would guess you do need a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There was controversy about this some years ago. I wouldn't think you will be refused a licence without a very good reason.

I think some places in dublin used to do the 'postcard for a euro' dodge.

It does all seem to be bureaucracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

If you have a thousand squid for the security, it shouldn't be a problem, at least that's how it looks from what you've posted.

Give a name and address, pay the secuity, get your licence, put up the sign and away you go. It looks to be that 'simple'.

Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, you have to buy some stamps ...

I wouldn't say there is a lot of markup in selling stamps. Would be interesting to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

conclusion

the licence fee of EUR1270 is a ripoff IMHO
    yet the penalty for not having a licence is EUR 1270+/prison sentence

possible workarounds

provide a "posting service" where you promise to put any object into the nearest postbox within 24 hours of receiving it, for this "service" you charge EUR 0.48. you never sell a physical item that is or even acts like a stamp to the customer, indeed he never sees any stamp, you are not selling stamps within the meaning of the act

OR

install a vending machine and let that sell the stamps
    so you are not selling stamps, the machine is, although the machine isin't a legal entity so shaky ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

vector wrote:
    install a vending machine and let that sell the stamps
    so you are not selling stamps, the machine is, although the machine isin't a legal entity so shaky ground

Is there such a machine?

Btw, in the U.S. (and maybe other countries), you can buy stamps online and print them out yourself. Dunno how it works but there you go. :)

Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

TommyK wrote:
    Is there such a machine?

Btw, in the U.S. (and maybe other countries), you can buy stamps online and print them out yourself. Dunno how it works but there you go. :)

Tommy.
    There must be alot of forged stamps so. :)

TommyK wrote:
    Is there such a machine?...

I was thinking of buying a vending machine of some sort (ie not fron the An Post), that could dispense stamps, the best system I could think of would be buying a roll of adhesive 48c stamps and attaching the roll to a motor that would move the roll x millimetres per sale, and the using an motorised guillotine from an old credit card terminal, I should have it built for next summer, an interesting project

unfortunately most tourists need 75c stamps, as that is what the UK/EU/Rest of world requires and those aren't available in rolls, just sheets

From further reserach it appears that stamp licence doesn't exist anymore Now one can become a Stamp Retail "Agent" and avail of a 5% discount on the purchase of stamps, however I was unable to find out it becoming an agent required paying a fee of EUR 1270! (ie the same thing, under a different name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

explore getting a franking machine from the post office which will allow u generate what ever value u need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

a 5% dicount? sweet, why doesn't every business that uses stamps (i.e. every office that sends out 48c letters) pretend they are a retailer and get a 5% discount on their postage bill, ah their must be some catch like a minimum purchase amount from an post, of something really high, or a registration fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do you get a discount for using a franking machine?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Do you get a discount for using a franking machine?

naturally there is no concrete info to be found on anpost.ie but...

positives:
    you never run out of stamps, even if the credit gets you you can refill by modem

there might be a reduced rate of postage for "metered" (ie franked) mail, not for the 48c, but for the higher figures, naturally I can't find any info on anpost.ie like its a secret

negatives:
    you will have to buy ink

it appears more expensive as you gotta buy/rent the machine, and because the market is artifically limited to three suppliers you just know the cost is got to be a multiple of what it should be (just like prescription drugs)

you wage bill may increase, as heretofore staff were willing to accept low wages on the understanding they could steal stamps for personal use, but now they'll want proper wages

Advertisement