Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Draft in USD?

Options
  • 11-08-2006 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to buy a bank draft in USD from AIB/BOI

Its for something I bought on ebay for USD 80, the seller doesn't accept paypal, he wants a "cheque in US dollars drawn on a US Bank" or a "Bank money transfer".

I had a look at AIBs online banking and a Credit transfer would cost me EUR 15! whereas I'm guessing a bank draft (if possible) will cost EUR 5 max.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep I have done it many, many times. I bank and BOI, I don't think it should cost any more than €5 (probably half that).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect a wire transfer is a lot more secure, because the account can be traced to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

ok I'll ask for his bank details, then send the draft :)

(the best of both worlds)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

vector wrote:
    ok I'll ask for his bank details, then send the draft :)

(the best of both worlds)

not quite .
    sending the draft is like sending cash and the bank details could be woolly.

as said already wire transfer of some sort, not a draft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The Americans do not have a problem with bank drafts.

Over the past few years I have won approximately 50 auctions on Ebay from US sellers.

I am not registered for Paypal and in every case have posted the seller a US dollar bank draft.

Each time they have sent the item as soon as they have received it - i.e they do not insist on waiting for the draft to clear. Post from Ireland to USA is generally 5 days.

No problems with it whatsoever.

One tip: when the draft is being written in the bank, ask them to write the month in words i.e. 12 August 2006 / 12 Aug 2006 or August 12 2006 / Aug 12 2006
    instead of 12/8/06.

Online transfers are quicker but there are fees involved - at both ends.

• Advertisement

Indeed my folks send over drafts when wanting me to ship something to them in Ireland and even small regional banks have no problem with BOI international drafts, they treat them just like cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

is a draft marked with the name of the recipient like a postal order or
    can anyone cash it?

is it possible to get them in english pounds? im asking because a seller on ebay
    told me that his bank couldnt cash euro cheques

Its marked in the recipients name and you can indeed get sterling drafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

thanks ruu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

j4vier wrote:
    ...is it possible to get them in english pounds?...

yes go to the bank, and if its a big branch goto the foreign exahcnage counter and ask for a "sterling draft"

caveat if its BOI, you must fill in a docket first, and they won't sell you one for less then £10.00 if they don't feel like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    The Americans do not have a problem with bank drafts.

Over the past few years I have won approximately 50 auctions on Ebay from US sellers.

I am not registered for Paypal and in every case have posted the seller a US dollar bank draft.

Each time they have sent the item as soon as they have received it - i.e they do not insist on waiting for the draft to clear. Post from Ireland to USA is generally 5 days.

No problems with it whatsoever.

What's the cost per transaction? At €5 for the draft and €1 for postage, that must add up over 50 purchases?

Advertisement