Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All this talk about 'feral' animals...

• 12-08-2006 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

Just for the record, in the context of our discussions, the word 'feral' refers to domesticated animals that have reverted to the wild state, or the descendants of such animals.
    In the few threads on the subject, I've seen foxes, crows, magpies, hares and rabbits described as 'feral'. While this is technically true in the classical sense of the word, it's incorrect in this context. The animals mentioned are indigenous wildlife and were never domesticated, and thus never reverted to the wild state.
    In the case of mink and grey squirrels it's somewhat less clear, as they are both introduced species, but it's arguable if they were ever truly domesticated.
    Anyhow, true 'feral' animals in the Irish context are things like cats, dogs, sheep, goats, etc; animals (or their ancestors) that were once domesticated but are now living in a truly wild state. In other parts of the world, the definition also includes stuff like cattle, pigs, and even camels.

I am somehow reminded of an episode of 'Allo 'Allo! in which Édith was 'singing' to the clientèle of the café. Leftenant Gruber turned to René and asked: "Your wife has a most unusual voice René, was it ever trained?" "Yes," replied René, "but it escaped and returned to the wild."
    i.e. her voice had gone 'feral' :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

I
    am somehow reminded of an episode of 'Allo 'Allo! in which Édith was 'singing' to the clientèle of the café. Leftenant Gruber turned to René and asked: "Your wife has a most unusual voice René, was it ever trained?" "Yes," replied René, "but it escaped and returned to the wild."
    i.e. her voice had gone 'feral' :D
    [/QUOTE]

:D:D:D:D:D
    Was that the one with the flying helmet and the wet celery????:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

in regard to rabbits and hares Brown hares were introduced to Ireland by landowners in the 19th century to supplement game species for hunting parties.

and rabbits were introduced to Ireland by the Normans in the12th century so they were domesticated allbe it in the 11th and 12th centuary

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Never seen brown hares over my part of the country before, only red hares, what part of the country are they in?
    Keelan.

north leinster and up into ulster

Thanks.:)
    I would love to take some photo's of these, i know a few folk their, must get in touch with them.:)
    Keelan.

• Advertisement

Below in attachments, is some photo's i took a couple of years back.
    Got woken up by the pinemarten one morning, at my bird table, contiued on and took some pics of a fox family in a baled feild.
    Keelan.

they are rare most of what you see will be the mountain hare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Nice pics Keelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Keelan wrote:
    Below in attachments, is some photo's i took a couple of years back.
    Got woken up by the pinemarten one morning, at my bird table, contiued on and took some pics of a fox family in a baled feild.
    Keelan.

Unreal pics they are class. nicely done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

You can also add to introduced species;Fallow and Sika deer,ring neck, and chinese pheasent,and the partridge and quail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Rovi wrote:
    Just for the record, in the context of our discussions, the word 'feral' refers to domesticated animals that have reverted to the wild state, or the descendants of such animals.
    In the few threads on the subject, I've seen foxes, crows, magpies, hares and rabbits described as 'feral'. While this is technically true in the classical sense of the word, it's incorrect in this context. The animals mentioned are indigenous wildlife and were never domesticated, and thus never reverted to the wild state.' :D

I think when people were referring to these animals (in my case anyway) it was because we were being attacked by anti shooting posters and the parallel was being drawn between damage done by vermin in this country, rabbits, foxes, magpies etc and damage done by feral cats

Advertisement