Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Them Vodafone Thingies

• 12-08-2006 2:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what the low down is with them vodafone things you plug in and pay a monthly sub for wireless broadband is. Can you use them abroad? Can you use them anywhere a mobile phone can get coverage? What is the price and terms? Is there only vodafone ones available?

I saw them in spain at €32 a month and I think they are €49 here. Would the one from Spain work here? What speed do they work at and is there a cap? Will it work jus the same as say BT 1MB broadband done through a wirless router in my home?

Any feedback is appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Theres a big thread about it in Ireland offline have a look there.

There's also another in Broadband I believe.

The spanish one will probably work, but you will pay roaming charges thus defeating the point.

Its max speed is 300Kbs or there abouts. It will be faster once HSDPA is rolled out.

At the moment its probably a 1/3 of the speed of your BT connection.

You need a laptop with a PC Card/PCMCIA slot in it, or if you want to share it you also need to get a linksys router with a PC card slot for it.

Again more details can be found in the existing threads on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

My workplace is testing out the scheme at the moment, and so far no worrys. As long as you have pcmcia slot you are laughing, if you are a light user. Cant say about putside the country though.

Advertisement