Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literature Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fate turner

In John Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar what's a yonderboy?

Roughly a combination between a hipster and a homey, comparable to will smith in Fresh Prince.

What was the name of the "savage" who in the end nails the eagle to the mast of the sinking Pequod in Melville's Moby Dick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

What was the name of the "savage" who in the end nails the eagle to the mast of the sinking Pequod in Melville's Moby Dick?

Tashtego? (been a very long time since I've read it :/)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

*ahem* looks at last two posters

Heh...sorry Boss :p

Ok in Walter Mosley's 'Devil in a Blue Dress' what is unusual about the missing woman, Daphne Monet?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

She used to frequent black bars, etc?
    She was involved with a candidate for mayor?
    Everyone around her got in trouble?

• Advertisement

Not quite. Although, "She used to frequent black bars, etc?" is significant.

Edit: "unusual" probably wasn't the best word to use. Forgive me, my brain is not functioning too good the past few days.

Basically a revelation is made about the character Daphne Monet...she's not was she appears to be. What 's the revelation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fate turner

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fate turner

Tashtego? (been a very long time since I've read it :/)

Correct, sorry it took so long...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Basically a revelation is made about the character Daphne Monet...she's not was she appears to be. What 's the revelation?
    She's half black. She does live in a duplex, after all.

Slightly disappointed as I was the last time to have my question's answer containing a word for word phrase that a google search would reveal...

In John McGahern's The Dark, who's the author of the only paperback book Fr Gerald owns?

give a clue? google has let me down :o

Ah, but I checked google first to make sure it couldn't be done:)

Fine, clues. Third and last novel written by this author, the first two are rather more famous and a distant relative with the same surname , more famous for writing science fiction than the classics our answer guy wrote, wrote a rather famous tale about a turnip and co-operation. The relevant answer is on page 81 of the faber & faber edition if anyone feels like shelf-scouring.

I was going to just give the answer and ask anyone else to give a new question but if no-one gets it by midday tomorrow I'd propose someone else just ask another question as I'm just game-spoiling at this stage and I didn't really want to do that.

• Advertisement

Is the second name Alderson? If not, I'm stumped! You well and truely de-googlefied that one ;)

BossArky wrote:
    Is the second name Alderson? If not, I'm stumped! You well and truely de-googlefied that one ;)
    Begins with a T. Nine hours and counting.

No sign of another question from anyone. Leo Tolstoy btw. Resurrection. Distant relative, Aleksei Tolstoy, wrote The Enormous Turnip.

I guess I'll nudge this on again and start off so:

Who's the narrator in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest?

sceptre wrote:

Who's the narrator in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest?

Chief Bromden. (One of those rare occasions where I enjoyed both the book and the film.)

Q: In Patrick McCabe's 'The Butcher Boy', what was "the garage"?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

Another one that works well as both a book and film...

A: Where they take you after a breakdown -- the mental hospital.

Q: What disease does Thomas Covenent carry in Stephen Donaldsons fantasy series.

Hemming(not a bad bastard anymore)Say.

Okay it's been over a week now so I googled the answer (for shame, I know!) so we can keep the game going.
    Q: What disease does Thomas Covenent carry in Stephen Donaldsons fantasy series?

A: Leprosy

Q: Frank O'Hara wrote a poem entitled "The Day Lady Died". Who is it about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭muesli_offire

A: Billie Holiday

Q: Same poet, poem about top-heavy starlet falling over - who?

anyone?

Really should subscribe to this thread.

A: Lana Turner (The poem is called 'Poem (Lana Turner has collapsed!)'

Q: Which author died after choking on a bottle cap?

A: Tennesse Williams

Q: Who wrote the Canterbury Tales? (just saw a play of the first half in London last night, was excellent)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A: Chaucer

Q: In what three cities did James Joyce write Ulysses?

A: Trieste, Zurich, Paris 1914-21

Q: In which of these cities did Joyce die and is now buried? (I'm working there now and it is beside a zoo. Need to get some time out to actually go see his grave)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A: Zurich

Q: What noted Irish playwright translated Samuel Beckett's En Attendant Godot into English (Waiting for Godot)?

A: Beckett himself.

Q: In what year did Beckett win the Nobel prize for literature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

A: 1969.

Q: What was the title of the book which featured in Oscar Wilde's gross indecency trial?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

A: The Picture of Dorian Grey

Q: Who has signs outside of their home that read "Ples ring if an rnswer is reqird" and "Plez cnoke if an rnsr is not reqid"?

A: Owl from the Winnie the Pooh stories.

Q:In 'Emma' by Jane Austen, who paints Harriet's portrait?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Owl in Winnie the Pooh.

Where did Holmes and Moriarty fall to their death (or was it?)

Sorry, simultaneous post....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

A: The Picture of Dorian Grey
    No not that one. Tis one by a foreigner which was an influence on Dorian Gray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

i thought he was imprisoned for 'indecent' acts ie homosexuality and whilst in prison wrote The Ballad of Reading Gaol?

Advertisement