Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literature Quiz!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Just a guess, but would it be a printer's devil?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cjohnson

It's a reference to Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell.

He says: "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is: Infinite. This I shall do by printing in the infernal method by corrosives, which in Hell are salutary and medicinal, melting apparent surfaces away, and displaying the infinite which was hid."

Q: Where is a particular kind of Sherry associated with death?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Actually that segment of Blake's Marriage goes like this:
    "But first the notion that man has a body distinct from his soul, is to be expunged; this I shall do, by printing in the infernal method. by corrosives, which in Hell are salutory and medicinal, melting apparent surfaces away, and displaying the infinite which was hid."

And the line I was looking for isn't a reference to Blake's poem (well it is but that isn't the answer to my question :)), it was Blake's reference to the way he was presenting his poems. His "printing in the infernal method" was a reference to the etchings which would accompany the poetry, both the images and the words were meant to be experienced simultaneously.

Haven't a clue about the sherry.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cjohnson

Forgive my error. You can expunge my question if you like! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Nah, fire away, it was an infernal question anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What a fruitcake. What did shining Popocatapetl do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

What a fruitcake. What did shining Popocatapetl do?
    Rule some dusty streets ??

In what play does Miranda live on an island with her father ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The Tempest? *stabs in the dark*

Advertisement