Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Escape for 1-Bed Apartment

Options
  • 12-08-2006 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what are the regulations governing the means of escape for a 1 bedroom ground floor apartment single storey, the apt. having an area of approx. 513 sq ft

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Moving to Accommodation / Property

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Essentially that each bedroom would have a window capable of being used for escape and that the primary escape wouldn't be via a kitchen.

Nothing else immediately comes to mind, but look at the Building Regulations.

http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvNavView/wwdConstruction?OpenDocument&Lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is from part B of the regs, doesn't go into much detail, only tells you were to find the details.

1.1.2 Guidance on the provision of means of
    escape in buildings containing flats and maisonettes,
    etc. Residential (Dwellings), Purpose Group 1(c), is
    provided in the following:
    - BS 5588: Part 1: 1990, Fire precautions in the
    design, construction and use of buildings, Part 1,
    Code of practice for residential buildings;
    and
    - Sub-section 1.4 (general provisions for means of
    escape) of this Technical Guidance Document.
    Section three of BS 5588: Part 1 1990, contains
    recommendations in relation to the internal planning
    of flats and maisonettes, escape routes from
    dwellings with corridor, lobby or open balcony
    approach and vertical escape routes by way of
    common stairways. Recommendations are also
    included for stairways in buildings which contain
    dwellings and other uses (mixed user buildings).
    Section five of BS 5588: Part 1: 1990, contains
    recommendations in relation to accommodation
    ancillary to flats and maisonettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Thanks for That,
    was looking at the building regs, but wasnt really sure what i should be looking at.
    Is there anything bout travel distances or anything in particular(again i know there in there, just not sure how exactly they work, because i havent got that far in college yet:o )

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It depends. The core of Irish fire safety is escape (as opposed to fighting the fire).

There will be travel distances involved (a) within the apartment, (b) from the apartment door to the stairwell (or in this case external exit), (c) distance from stairwell to external exit. You may need to take into account the distance for a second means of escape, usually in a different direction.

I imagine there are different rules for each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Have a look through part b. Travel distances are listed in there. They are grouped into purpose groups. Appartments are under group 1c.

And don't worry about not being that far in college, fire cert will be a big project in 2nd year. And its frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

The maximum travel distances are 10m in one direction/20m in more than one direction (in a bedroom), 10m in one direction/35m in more than one direction (in a bedroom corridor), 20m in one direction/35m in more than one direction (elsewhere).

It helps when part B is beside me on the desk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Mellor wrote:
    And don't worry about not being that far in college, fire cert will be a big project in 2nd year. And its frustrating.

Now dont say things like that, I like to hear that "it will be a big project in 2nd year. And its p!ss easy!":D

Anyway, thanks to all for the help!

Advertisement