Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet Another Site Review Thread

Options
  • 12-08-2006 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

I've been working on this in my spare time and was looking for some feedback.

I'm not 100% sure about the blocks on the main page, as they cause it to scroll. Should they stay or should they go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Nice.

I would hi-light the login more, give it a background colour, nothing too mad maybe #ccc.

I'd turn the search title on the top left to dark green background and font to white.

When I click on a category in the middle of the page the next page I get for example here: http://www.armchair.ie/clothes-and-fashion/

the ads on the top push the content down a good bit, v annoying as i have to scroll down. I'd put the ads on the left or bottom of page if necessary.

other than that I like it, its a nice design ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

TheGooner wrote:
    When I click on a category in the middle of the page the next page I get for example here: http://www.armchair.ie/clothes-and-fashion/

the ads on the top push the content down a good bit, v annoying as i have to scroll down. I'd put the ads on the left or bottom of page if necessary.

Good point.

I'll have a look at that template and see if I can shove the adsense code in elsewhere so that there isn't as much scrolling ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

How about a background colour? Or even a border, the blocks on either side are clearly defined on the inside with their broders but just blend into white space on the outside.

Im not a fan of the google ads on top in each section either. Also there is a nav drop down and become and editor link surrounded by google ads at the bottom.

I like the idea, already it has shown me a few sites I wasnt aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Seohelp

Really do like the look and the whole idea of the site. I'm sure it'll do very well and it is definitely something that will benefit Irish consumers.

My only suggestion would be to change to colour of the adsense blocks. The green is definitely clashing with the rest of the page and it takes away from the fresh and professional look of the website.

Other than that I think it is an excellent design and resource.

I've removed the adsense from the top of the categories and put a skyscraper on the right ....

SeoHelp - what colour would you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Seohelp

Experimenting will tell you what the answer to that one.

However, for purely aesthetical reasons I would blend the ads as much as possible with the Green of the "search bar" or the Orange of the "Top 5 Shopping Sites" and "Latest Irish News" bars.

Hope this makes sense. Sunday afternoon and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. I seemed to be calling everything "bars".

Seohelp - I was trying to do some matching of colours late last night :)

I may try again today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I found it difficult to find the "add a listing" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Excellent design and Excellent Idea.
    Adsense is a tad bit overpowering on the page, blend it in a bit better.

Should you not put the "login form" on the homepage? It's easier to navigate to if someone is looking for it...

Keep up the good work, did you design it all by yourself?

nevf wrote:
    Excellent design and Excellent Idea.

Thanks
    nevf wrote:
    Adsense is a tad bit overpowering on the page, blend it in a bit better.

I'm still working on that
    nevf wrote:
    Should you not put the "login form" on the homepage? It's easier to navigate to if someone is looking for it...

It's there, but it's probably not as obvious as it could be ........
    nevf wrote:
    Keep up the good work, did you design it all by yourself?

No. The header graphic is by SpoiltChild

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Lovely looking site.

Do you not think the quality of the buttons, especially 'Add a listing' and 'Update a listing' looks poor. First thing i noticed when i came on, kinda spoils the design a bit imo.
    Besides that its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

blacknight wrote:
    Thanks
    I'm still working on that

It's there, but it's probably not as obvious as it could be ........

No. The header graphic is by SpoiltChild

It's there? but where?

All I can say, is that it is a great design. Hopefully I'll be as good as that someday! :D

nevf wrote:
    It's there? but where?

At the top of the page :)

I'll change the link text to "login / register" though.. I was using a login box before, but it was taking up a lot of screen real estate

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

good idea and well laid out site...the site is easy on the eye and I like the text...dunno about the google ads at the botton of the pages though....also the register and account button is hard find...Otherwise I think it is very good...wish you the very best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

just one thing - when one registers an account..how does one login...cant find the login box anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks good except the google ads are taking too much of the attention on the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

One thing that gets me is that there are too few listings on each page. It would be nice if you could set how many are displayed per page, even if it needs to be set in your account. I would also agree with the comment about the buttons being not quite up to standard and taking away from a lot of the really good work that is in there. I also don't like how they appear uneven (in Firefox anyway) - the Refer button juts out slightly to the right.

Certainly very minor faults to a decent site, good job!

just one thing - when one registers an account..how does one login...cant find the login box anywhere
    I'll be changing that link...

You can login at http://www.armchair.ie/cp/

Michele

Serbian wrote:
    One thing that gets me is that there are too few listings on each page.

It's currently set at quite a low number, as I didn't want people scrolling too much on lower resolutions
    Serbian wrote:
    It would be nice if you could set how many are displayed per page, even if it needs to be set in your account.

I'll have to look into that. At the moment it's hard coded
    Serbian wrote:
    I would also agree with the comment about the buttons being not quite up to standard and taking away from a lot of the really good work that is in there.

I'll mention that to the talented one
    Serbian wrote:
    I also don't like how they appear uneven (in Firefox anyway) - the Refer button juts out slightly to the right.

Do you mean the alignment?
    Serbian wrote:
    Certainly very minor faults to a decent site, good job!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Nice design.

I'd agree with highlighting te log in a bit more.

Also sorry to hi-jack, but did anyone notice this on the spoiltchild design consultancy's website

http://www.spoiltchild.com/design_interactive/design_interactive_boards.htm#id=boards&num=1

A boards.ie redesign??

• Advertisement

Peteee wrote:
    Nice design.

I'd agree with highlighting te log in a bit more.

Any suggestions on how / where to put it?

I don't want to have a great big login box in the sidebar, as it's only of use to people who are either submitting listing or reviewing existing ones, though I can appreciate that it's not as obvious as it could be ....

Advertisement