Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is It Possible To Make Yourself Dream Of Something

Options
  • 12-08-2006 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

Is It Possible?

For example i think of a holiday i was on just before i go to sleep in the hope that i might dream of it, but it doesnt happen

so does anybody know if it is possible to set up your dreams?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not sure. I did have a dream recently, which I do not think I could discuss on this forum :p , sorry, but after waking up for some reason, I went back to the same dream and essentially picked up where I left off, which, I was really happy about!;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yup, its called Lucid Dreaming : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming
    Can do it myself as I am half asleep/half awake but thats about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Yup, its called Lucid Dreaming : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming
    Can do it myself as I am half asleep/half awake but thats about it.

Lucid dreaming? We've got another thread on this forum I'll look at again. But I am unlikely to consult Wiki. I have found a lot of false information on that site, including when a flatmate of mine got defamed on that site. But I can Google it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Check the links / resources thread at the top for some, eh, links re: lucid dreaming.

I wouldn't share your hatred for Wikipedia, but in anycase I've read through the Lucid Dreaming Wikibook, which is like an instruction manual, and can vouch for that. ld4all.com also seems to offer some good information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Must give that lucid dreaming a go. Sounds like I'm missing out:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You can make yourself dream absolutely anything you want. The trick is, your subconcious controls dreams, so you have to convince your subconcious on what to dream about. The way to do this is to constantly remind it.

For example, every night (or as often as possible really) write down something along the lines of "Tonight I will dream of a beautiful beach holiday!" ten times.

Although, as said, if you're gonna put that much effort in you may aswell experiment with lucid dreaming. I did for a while and it started to work but I got distracted and stopped at it. Must try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Not when Im going to sleep I dont think. However, if its morning time, and Im in the middle of a real interesting dream and then am woken by a noise or whatever, if im still half sleepy often i can close my eyes, make up a connecting part of the dream, fall back asleep and let the great film in my head continue :)

Well, I have been thinking and feeling very intensely about someone recently, and then I have a dream about them, so maybe there is something to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

I am unlikely to consult Wiki. I have found a lot of false information on that site, including when a flatmate of mine got defamed on that site. But I can Google it. Thanks.

Ok I checked it out, and it's cool. None of your friends are being defamed in that lucid dreaming Wikipedia thread, so it's safe to have a peek.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

When I was very young, if I had watched a scary movie or heard a scary story, I would only let myself think of the care bears, in the hope that I would only dream of them and nothing scary :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thekillerjoe

it is possible to make yourself have dreams:eek:. there was this one time i was asleep and had a dream in the exact same setting, i checked so i could control myself but noot others unfortunitly:mad:. well thats all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭alder

answering the question - yes, it is. if you practise lucid dreams it's easy. if you don't - still might be possible but not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

After reading this thread and a few others I starting trying, just for the fun of it.
    Eventually 2 weeks later the dream I thought I wanted occured.....
    NOT the way I wanted it to but it friggin occured. I'll hopefully soon be able to mentally block the images that are currently imprinted in my brain.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    After reading this thread and a few others I starting trying, just for the fun of it.
    Eventually 2 weeks later the dream I thought I wanted occured.....
    NOT the way I wanted it to but it friggin occured. I'll hopefully soon be able to mentally block the images that are currently imprinted in my brain.

:eek:

Any chance you'd tell it what it was ? Im dieing to know !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I'll never tell :eek:

I was actually starting to block it out but now it's pounding into my mental images in flashes.
    Cheers -.-

I don't think I'll ever be able to make myself dream things I want. Maybe if I put more effort into it but I don't want a repeat performance of that night. So I will leave it for now.

I must buy a little book tomorrow and start trying to keep a record of my dreams.
    *adds to shopping list*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Well I didn't do it lucidly, but there was someone I was thinking about a lot a while ago, and I had a few dreams with them in it. So yes, I think you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 monty1978

Ever since myself and my sister were youngsters (!) she would always tell me that she could force herself to dream a specific dream. I always thought she was having me on, but now, thanks to this thread I believe!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

a remember one particular dream where I was in this fantasy land, and after some various events which I can't recall I was awarded a watch.

There was like some injection needle on the underside of the watch and when you put it on your wrist it sticks into your veins and you can make any wish you want.

I just remember being in the dream and thinking whatever I wanted to appear, it was deadly. Is that lucid dreaming?

One of those dreams you wake up and go.....awwwwwwwww :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I used to be able to lucid dream a lot - not so much in recent years, for some reason, but when I did realise I was in a dream, it took me a few minutes to sort-of establish control (there was a strong impulse to wake up when it happened, so I had to fight that too). After that, I could do anything I wanted, but like Zillah said, there is a weird "convincing" act going on. The dream keeps trying to restablish itself.

Like I'm lucid-dreaming, and I decide I want to fly a fighter jet, I can't make one appear in front of me. But I can make it so that, around the corner, there's an airport arrivals lounge, and I'll be able to find a fighter jet on the runway and hop in. But, something I didn't plan might happen, like maybe I'm attacked by other jets, and I have to focus to avoid getting drawn back into the "plot."

Sleep can be an awful lot of work, sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Happens to me always.... for example i am very easily influenced by movies..when i watch one i want to be that movie person so when i sleep i actually dream about that stuff its awesome.....i watched all the BLADE movies in one night and you better believe i kicked some vamp ass in my dream :) IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement