Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Rooms

Options
  • 12-08-2006 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

i am renting out three of the four rooms in my house since the mortgage is hitting me for six.

Anyways, one of the lads went to Italy for a weeks holidays - seems to have got the idea in his head that he doesnt have to pay for that week. Two of them only stay mon-fri (their choice) - the other lad all the time.

I'm of a mind to charge him for this week cos if i dont, its going to have a knock on effect for him for other weeks when hes not there and for the others - one of whoms going to be away for a couple of weeks pretty soon.

I've rented for years before this and my understanding is that its their responsibility to pay from the point they move in - to the point they move out. If I went along with this, it would leave my personal finances in a heap -not being able to budget from one month to the next.

I fairly sure I should be charging him and taking no nonsense but just posting here as a reality check in case I'm becoming twisted and mean! :)

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

No question about he has to pay up. Is he going to move out all his stuff while he's away for the week????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

^^^ what blue banana said. He has to pay for the privilege of you keeping his stuff in your house and for holding the room for him. If he wants to move out for that week and risk you getting someone else to move in instead then no he doesnt have to pay, but otherwise he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

You're not a hotel....full stop, he pays. If he doesn't tell him his stuff will be in black bags when he gets back and he doesn't get his deposit back....

He's either a scouser or from Cavan....:p

• What was the lad thinking? Of course you have to pay for a house/long term accommodation when you're not there and you're leaving all your stuff. Who would think otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Thanks guys. It seemed plain obvious to me, I was well surprised at the very suggestion. I suppose I can bring him up to date on how the renting game is played when he's back here on Monday:D

I think that might also be the time for his first bill for his share of utility expenses too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

baguio wrote:
    i am renting out three of the four rooms in my house since the mortgage is hitting me for six.

Anyways, one of the lads went to Italy for a weeks holidays - seems to have got the idea in his head that he doesnt have to pay for that week. Two of them only stay mon-fri (their choice) - the other lad all the time.

I'm of a mind to charge him for this week cos if i dont, its going to have a knock on effect for him for other weeks when hes not there and for the others - one of whoms going to be away for a couple of weeks pretty soon.

I've rented for years before this and my understanding is that its their responsibility to pay from the point they move in - to the point they move out. If I went along with this, it would leave my personal finances in a heap -not being able to budget from one month to the next.

I fairly sure I should be charging him and taking no nonsense but just posting here as a reality check in case I'm becoming twisted and mean! :)

What do you think?

The fact that you're even mildly open to the possibility of him not paying could be construed as being 'soft' on your part. Just tell him if he doesn't pay, he's in breach of contract and you'll evict and withold the deposit - I presume all of this is in the contract you both signed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A contract? Do you have a template of a rent-a-room contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

he must pay without question

A contract? Do you have a template of a rent-a-room contract?
    I have one in pdf format...dunno what site I got it from but if you PM your email, I'll send it to you

• Advertisement

These are leases for renting out a complete property.

Not suitable (in my opinion) for renting a room in your home. A rent-a-room isn't really a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

cheeky git!

you'll get these chancers.

i had a housemate who tried to deduct bills as she was away for 3 weeks!

stp wrote:
    i had a housemate who tried to deduct bills as she was away for 3 weeks!
    Now thats tight!

I made myself clear as regards what needs to be paid. He had paid up until the week before he went away. He promised me payment this week - and i've insisted he gets it to me this evening. So thats three weeks worth including paying in advance for this week. I've got four weeks worth of deposit from him so I just want to make sure I get paid now.

IF he doesnt pay this week - I want him out.

Q. What are the legalities of turfing him out on the basis of non-payment 3 weeks running? Is he still entitled legally to notice? (theres no contract involved).

This may not happen but I want to be confident of my next move in case things go pear shaped. I had thought he was sound but i'm not all too comfortable with this now. Dont like having someone try to get one over on me in my own house. Even more annoying seeing as my neighbour had someone lined up to move in but I had the room already let out.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Lex Luthor wrote:
    You're not a hotel....full stop, he pays.

Huh? If he was a hotel then he would have to pay.

Anyways, yes he has to pay if he wants to keep staying there. Its the norm, you pay rent to rent a room, whether you sleep there or not is your own business.

The whole situation is a bit vague because there isn't a lease. I don't think a lodger who is in default is entitled to notice. But I would be inclined to give a day or two's notice.

I wouldn't worry so much about what this guy thinks, I'd worry more about making sure that the other people in the house see that he's being fairly treated.

note: this is not meant to be legal advice.

Thanks for your opinions.

BTW, he came back with cash from the hole in the wall an hour ago so i'm all paid up. I had fired off an email to threshold ref. whether someone in this position would be entitled to notice if they were refusing to pay - although its no longer applicable to my situation, its still going to be interesting to see what they come back with - for future reference.
    I wouldn't worry so much about what this guy thinks, I'd worry more about making sure that the other people in the house see that he's being fairly treated.

One of the other lads is away all of next week so I will know soon enough what his assumptions are on the matter of payment!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

qwytre wrote:
    Huh? If he was a hotel then he would have to pay.
    The point being, that with a hotel, you can come and go as you please (once you pay, etc.) - there is no obligation to pay if you are staying elsewhere.

I got feedback from threshold today on this scenario. They more or less confirmed what antoinolachtnai was saying - in that there is no clear law as regards to the requirement for notice to be given in a 'rent a room' situation.

"technically 24 hours notice may suffice but we advise that both parties give 28 days notice enough time to make alternative arrangements."

Its as clear as mud really. I would be under the impression that threshold would be more likely to be pro-tenant (I could of course be wrong in assuming this) - hence the suggestion of the 28 days notice. But in a case where relations have gone sour with a tenant in your own home, I would be very very uneasy with giving 28 days notice - as potentially, theres just too much mischief that they can get up to in this time ie. running up phone bills, etc. I think if it came down to it, I would be happier to take my chances and give them 24/48 hrs.(or maybe a week) notice - depending on what I felt the individual was capable of.

I know that given the current housing market that there are plenty either renting rooms or considering it - so I hope this thread is beneficial to you too.

Advertisement