Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Powering up a Garmin NuVo

Options
  • 12-08-2006 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Got a Garmin NuVo and plugged it into the cigarette lighter, drove around for a couple of hours using it, then left it plugged in overnight.

I then tried taking it out to use while walking, but it wouldn't power up; when I plugged it in, it powered up again happily.

How long does it take before the battery is full and it can be removed from the car for outside use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Dunno about the Garmin, but can relate to you my experiences with the (excellent) Medion system I have: I find that sometimes it locks up, especially after being powered off while playing an MP3 song.

I guess that's par for the course since these things have a version of Windows OS built-in :rolleyes: (and I'm rolling my eyes bigtime since I work for MS heh heh).

Solution is to reset the device: there should be a minute push-button somewhere on the underside - you'll need a pen to press it. That doesn't work all the time, so it needs to be fully reset/wiped which is done with a minute slide-switch also on the underside. After being reset and powered back on, it'll load up the nav software which should be on the memory-card attached.

So, mine does lock up once in a while, and I have had to do the full reset option, but it always recovers just fine. Maybe that's what yours needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks, Franks - I've been mooching around online and found one reference to powering it for three days on the cigarette lighter to get it fully powered up, so I'm going to give it a few days.

It should say it in the manual, but of course it's well known that all manual writers, as well as a proportion of tech support staff, actually work for Satan.

Halford's said to bring the yoke back to them, since it's not holding the charge, so when I get my car back from the garage I'll do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

luckat wrote:
    Got a Garmin NuVo and plugged it into the cigarette lighter, drove around for a couple of hours using it, then left it plugged in overnight.

I then tried taking it out to use while walking, but it wouldn't power up; when I plugged it in, it powered up again happily.

How long does it take before the battery is full and it can be removed from the car for outside use?

hi there remove the battery then plug it in to the cigarette lighter, then it should power up.. when it does remove the cigarette lighter and then put the battery in... now u should be abe to work on battery alone..

upgrade the firmware on the gps... u can get it on garmin.com
    let me know how u get on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not sure if you meant the Nuvi, I have a Nuvi 360, and the battery is internal and non-removeable. Sounds just like a flaky unit. Get Halford to replace it.

• Advertisement

I rang the Garmin helpline and they said plugging it directly into the cigarette lighter doesn't work as well as plugging it in through the USB in the cradle. Can't imagine why.

Advertisement