Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we be sending troops to Lebanon?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Mick86 wrote:
    It doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
    What's your explanation of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I think we should send some troops in. Ireland has a good reputation for peacekeeping and respect in places we have worked. We've lost people, but unfortunately that goes with the job. We should not let fear of losing people stop us from going. It is the lives we could save that makes the real difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 MiddleE

The Defence Forces yesterday responded to allegations made on a Lebanese TV station that a member of the Irish Army had been fighting alongside Israeli soldiers in Lebanon.
    My first reaction was that one of our posters was already 'at it', but no...
    The claims, which the Defence Forces describe as "bizarre", were made on Al-Manar TV on Sunday. It was reported that an official Irish Defence Forces ID had been found by Hizbullah fighters at the site of a battle with Israeli soldiers.
    A spokesman for the Defence Forces confirmed to The Irish Times yesterday that the ID was genuine and belonged to a person serving with the Defence Forces.
    "This is a bizarre incident," the spokesman said. "The person concerned is still serving in the Defence Forces. He was injured while serving in Lebanon in 1997.

"He was rendered first-aid by a member of the then South Lebanese Army [allied with Israel]. As part of the first-aid, they cut the leg off his trousers, and in them was his wallet with his ID card. By the time he noticed his wallet was missing, it was too late."
    The man reported the wallet and card missing and the card had been cancelled.
    Defence Forces give history of ID found in Lebanon
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I suppose there are thieves in every army!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DrNoir

All I can say is that you should read this new book: The Lebanon Diaries by Martin Malone. This guy served five tours and according to him the Irish troops are 'sitting ducks'. The Irish Army is not up to the task!

Dr Noir:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Apparently the guy who lost the ID is missing a leg, so was hardly fighting alongside the Israelis in 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

DrNoir wrote:
    All I can say is that you should read this new book: The Lebanon Diaries by Martin Malone. This guy served five tours and according to him the Irish troops are 'sitting ducks'. The Irish Army is not up to the task!

Dr Noir:mad:

That doesnt sound like they were not up to the task, it sounds like the mandate from the UN was poor

Advertisement