Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best pci graphics card

Options
  • 12-08-2006 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

im looking for the best pci graphics card avalable for a dell dim. 3000 with a 250w psu im looking at these
    www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10415
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only difference is that one have 128mb as oppose to 256mb and one has DVI as os opposed to the other which doesn't.

i'd go for the cheaper one tbh because there's no need for 256mb ram on a pci card as the bus speed is too slow to play any games that would take advantage of 256mb ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

thanks for the reply do you know if anywhere in dublin stocks this (the 128mb 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH you'd be better off buying online; normal store (eg Maplins) will still insist it's a "premium" product & charge you an extra €50:p

Or even buy a Radeon 9250SE for €50 here because, let's face it, PCI cards are sh!te.

Would this be an upgrade from my onboard intel "extreme" grapics, and are any of these windows vista compatable?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Depending on what Intel integrated solution you have it may not be much of an upgrade...

I had a AGP FX5200 128mb card in my first rig and it played Source games ok at 800x600

• Advertisement

Dermot2468 wrote:
    Would this be an upgrade from my onboard intel "extreme" grapics, and are any of these windows vista compatable?
    Upgrade from onboard: Hell yes;
    Vista compatible: The Geforce FX5200 you linked IS; the Radeon 9250 I linked IS NOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

Really? My understanding is virtually all graphics cards will be fine for Vista, and DX9 cards are only required for the fancy theme.:confused:

its intel 82865G graphics with (i think) 96mb memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pretty much any dedicated card, even an old one, would be better then your integrated. The best PCI card out is the Nvidia 6200, but make sure you get the dedicated memory version and not the Turbocache model if possible.

The 6200 can come in various turbocache models like 16Mb dedicated + 112MB system shared, 32Mb Dedicated and 96MB shared, and 64MB dedicated + 64MB shared. Obviously if you must get a turbocache model go for the 64+64 model, but its really best to go for the dedicated version. The difference between a 128mb 6200 and the 16MB turbocache model for example is absolutely astromonical, even though both are 6200 cards.

PC World stock the dedicated 6200 (for cheaper then kompletts inferior 5200 as well actually, about 80 quid I think and it comes with a free copy of Far Cry) but I've also seen the turbocache model around too, which one, I'm not sure. Again, while the 6200 dedicated is the best option for PCI, the turbocache models are not, so don't go on model number alone.

Anyway, an fx5200 or a 9250 would still be way better then Intel Integrated, especially if its the useless Intel Extreme range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

would probably be better to just upgrade the motherboard to agp or pci-e. if you have the money to spend

• Advertisement

anti wrote:
    would probably be better to just upgrade the motherboard to agp or pci-e. if you have the money to spend
    if i do this i think it would get very complicated ie. if i replace the motherboard and get a new graphics card then i will need a new psu and i dont want to spend too much on the pc,

does anyone know if a new pci graphics card would improve google earth as it gets very slow if i load the 3d building

ps havok do pc world stock this card in their online store, and is it vista compatable?

more ram really. a decent grpahics card would be a good idea. allbeit a pci one :(

and to answer the pcworld question, yes they do.

Dermot2468 wrote:
    if i do this i think it would get very complicated ie. if i replace the motherboard and get a new graphics card then i will need a new psu and i dont want to spend too much on the pc,

No you won't; a low-end card (ie, those under €111) should happily run on a 250W PSU as it won't drain much power -- so little that most are, in fact, passively cooled!

Also, why are you so concerned about Vista compatability?
    TBH, you would be better off waiting for a bit & then upgrading your motherboard (and your CPU if you can) when it finally rolls around so you can have a decent(-ish) GPU...

Oh, and get more RAM.
    All OS love more RAM! :D

I can only assume a 6200 is Vista compatiable, I'm surprised a Radeon 9250 isn't actually.

Even Intels GMA line is Vista compatiable.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Once the card supports DX9 its Vista compatable...

conzymaher wrote:
    Once the card supports DX9 its Vista compatable...

Someone said the 9250 wasn't Vista compatiable though...why? That supports Dx9...

like he said any card that has native support for dx9 is 100% vista compatible.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    No you won't; a low-end card (ie, those under €111) should happily run on a 250W PSU as it won't drain much power -- so little that most are, in fact, passively cooled!

Also, why are you so concerned about Vista compatability?
    TBH, you would be better off waiting for a bit & then upgrading your motherboard (and your CPU if you can) when it finally rolls around so you can have a decent(-ish) GPU...

Oh, and get more RAM.
    All OS love more RAM! :D
    money money money F(uking money thats what this pc needs, ill post the specs and see what ye think would be the best place to upgrade.

Dell dim 3000
    intel celeron 2.6GHZ
    512mb ram
    Standard dell psu and mother board
    and the pile of crap that is intel extereme graphics:mad:
    oh and an 80gb hard drive (want to upgrade or add to this)

Ps i hope ye dont mind me going of the graphics and on to the general pc

Would be cheaper and a better idea to jusy buy/build a new pc tbh. dell are doing some decentish pcs from 600€. or if your able do a self build for a bit cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I looked into doing a cheap self build (i.e $600-700) and you arent really going to be able to make a comparible pc when comparing to dells with which you normally get a 17" flatpanel aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Its very hard to better dells cheaper computers when building them yourself. when you factor in the 17" falt panel you get with them and legal copy of XP it is it is quite hard to compete when building your own PC. That said , you can build a far suppior system then you will get from dell for about €800-900 if you dont need to get new moniter.

If you have amonitor already you can save a nice bit of money, and for 500 build a nice enough pc. komplett do great upgrade packs. where you get mobo ram cpu gfx card hdd.

Dermot2468 wrote:
    money money money F(uking money thats what this pc needs, ill post the specs and see what ye think would be the best place to upgrade.

Dell dim 3000
    intel celeron 2.6GHZ
    512mb ram
    Standard dell psu and mother board
    and the pile of crap that is intel extereme graphics:mad:
    oh and an 80gb hard drive (want to upgrade or add to this)

Ps i hope ye dont mind me going of the graphics and on to the general pc
    Well, 512mb extra RAM is €50-60; however, judging from specs, looks like there's only 1xIDE controller, and only 1 HDD drive bay, so no adding to this unless you buy an external (USB) one.
    And the processor is skt478; don't know anyplace that sells new ones anymore.

or a ide pci card

Yeah but there's no extra drive bay :p

*edit* Didn't think of 3.5"->5.25" mounting kits: €5 for basic brackets, €14.50 for dampened ones

Damn you. foiled again !

So would it be best to buy a hd and a mounting bracket?

What upgrade fit would you recommend from komplett

Advertisement