Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General's Shops

Options
  • 12-08-2006 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

on my daily new bus route the 78a to ballyfermot from aston quay i think it near/on thomas st anywho, there was two shops side by side two butchers Martin's butchers and next to it was Cahill's pork store, they were both closed down, and i was just wondering if these had anything to do with Martin Cahill aka The General?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What a strange question.I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mooooved. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Why would you want to know this the man is dead maybe 10 years...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Volvoboy wrote:
    and i was just wondering if these had anything to do with Martin Cahill aka The General?
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

just wondering always had a intrest in all things illeagal, not that i do anything illegal. just looks like there were shut about the same time and i was just curious to know that if they were linked to the general, in future i'll curb my curiousity

Thanks

-VB-

p.s he's dead 12 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i wouldnt be suprised, with his character....ive also always been interested in the underworld...

he is dead 12 years on friday:eek:

Volvoboy wrote:
    just wondering always had a intrest in all things illeagal, not that i do anything illegal. just looks like there were shut about the same time and i was just curious to know that if they were linked to the general, in future i'll curb my curiousity
    Nope. Unlike most modern crims, Cahill wasn't smart enough to try and launder the proceeds of his crime through 'front' businesses. He claimed the dole on a regular basis and just used the cover that he was unemployed. All his property was registered in the names of his wife and her sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

While we are on the subject and I'm not saying that anybody here has done it, is anybody else disgusted by the way this guy has been made into a kind of cult hero? I mean, the movie almost oput him in a good lght and made the Guards look like complete cúnts/idiots but this guy was vicious. He blew up that forensic scientist guy, can't remember his name but he retired a couple of years ago because of his injuries saying that he actualy waitied until Cahill was dead to retire because he wouldn't give him the satisfaction. The bloke knew where the Guards lived with their familes and they must have been intimidated by that. Must have sickened them to watch that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

It did portray him as a likeable rogue alright. I wonder how all the people threatened out of testifying felt. A bit like the way The Monk has turned from feared gangster into a minor celebrity. Im sure one or two innocent people got a knock over the head during his robberies back in the day and dont particularly dig the loveable diamond geezer Del Boy type of figure the media seem to now portray him as. But tbh its very hard to have a hugely negative opinion of any gangster who doesnt harm innocent people when we live in a country where if you work your arse off you still have a pain getting a house. Fcuk the morality, money is money.

Favourite line from the film

Cop "So Martin, what sister were ya riding last night?"
    Cahill "Yours" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Tha Gopher wrote:
    But tbh its very hard to have a hugely negative opinion of any gangster who doesnt harm innocent people when we live in a country where if you work your arse off you still have a pain getting a house. Fcuk the morality, money is money.

Oh, I'm with you on that one. Always seen robbing banks as a reasonable enough thing as long as nobody gets hurt but I think the days of the ordinary deent criminal are over now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

Volvoboy wrote:

Thanks

-VB-

p.s he's dead 12 years.

he had a share in a shop between arbour hill and pheonix park on the corner if anyone is interested!!

Dutz wrote:
    he had a share in a shop between arbour hill and pheonix park on the corner if anyone is interested!!
    The little off-licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

He owns a bungalow and a fairly big back garden in Dolphin's Barn, it's still derelict too, as far as I know, well done CAB. :rolleyes:

Bateman wrote:
    He owns a bungalow and a fairly big back garden in Dolphin's Barn, it's still derelict too, as far as I know, well done CAB. :rolleyes:
    Does he? I presume he's doing the gardening from beyond the grave?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Collie D wrote:
    is anybody else disgusted by the way this guy has been made into a kind of cult hero? I mean, the movie almost oput him in a good lght and made the Guards look like complete cúnts/idiots but this guy was vicious. He blew up that forensic scientist guy,

There was a fuss when the film came out (The General, not the other 2 which were awful) along these lines alright, but you have to remember the time that he operated in.

Before the celtic tiger when most people were emigrating here was a guy that regularly and very publicly made idiots of the gardai and gave out the image of being the Ordinary Decent Criminal (the reality was different alright , but the public image was that). There was a fair amount of begruding respect for him among people who he hadnt actually literally crucified.

I grew up in ranelagh and i was at the media circus that was his murder site. There were a suprising number of people walking around muttering things like "poor martin, eh? " and "Live by the sword..". It was sort of bizzarre.

Advertisement