Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernard Dunne finally breaks into world rankings

• 12-08-2006 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭

Bernard Dunne is now rated in the top #10 by two world sanctioning bodies .
    He is #9 with the WBA and #10 with the WBO , he is also now ranked #13 by Fightnews(a fairly decent ratings site) . Dunne is also ranked #26 with the WBC(who publish rankings all the way up to 40 , while the rest just do to 15)

Wayne McCullough re enters the WBC world rankings at #9 , an odd decision considering that McCullough hasn't fought since going out of the top 15 and is mainly concentrating on being a trainer now(although is fit to fight and if a good fight comes along he'll take it) .

Dunne may be fighting Esham Pickering for the vacant EBU title as it looks like Micahel Hunter may be in an eliminater for the IBF title or maybe even a straight shot :http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/4787035.stm

A bit of that is guess work but the only reason to vacate is if he's fighting for a world title and the only organisation he's high enough to fight an eliminater in is the IBF(ranked#4 , with no #1 or #2 as is customery with the IBF)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

They could at least spell his name correctly.

Bernard has been up in the rankings on boxrec for a good while now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hiberno

I do worry for his getting found out at the top level. He's been matched very well until now, but I don't know if our Dynamo has the chin and will to beat the best. Wayne McCullough had/has a proven chin, he beat Naseem Hamed and wasn't given the decision, and his quantity of stinging punches destroyed opponents (I distinctly remember an RTE fight with a world class Jerome Coffee). Dunne should beat Pickering though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

If Dunne is to win a world title he has to avoid the punchers , im certain of that .But the problem is Super Bantamweight is full of punchers: Israel Vasqeuq(WBC champ) , Somsak Sithchatchawl(WBA champ) , Daneil Ponce De Leon(WBO champ) , Rafael Marquez(moving up IBF and IBO champ) , his only real hope is getting the winner of Gabula Vabaza and Steve Molitor in the near future .

Molitor and Vabaza are fighting for the vacant IBF title , Vabaza has an average punch while Molitor is feather fisted .

The good news is it might be a while before Rafael Marquez can get his shot at the IBF Super Bantamweight title(unless he gets a straight shot which can happen when someone is champ at a lower wait in the same sanctioning body) .
    It is likely Hunter will face the winner and I would fancy Dunne to beat Hunter or Vabaza(who I think beats Molitor) .

Beating Pickering will get Dunne ranked by the IBF , and after that it'll be all up to Brian Peters .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Dunne doesn't have to avoid the big punchers, all he has to do is avoid the big punches. Half of his problem is that he is too good of a man for acting the mick up on the South Circular. He need to get out of Dublin and into London or Manchester, fast. Hanging around the Darragh O Kellys and the Jimmy Magees of this world is going to only set him back. He nearly came undone vs Voronin because he wouldn't stay out of range for the last 3 minutes, too busy acting the mick for the benefit of an ignorant if postiively partizan crowd, ya dig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Dunne has the ability, he just has to learn by fighting more opponents that are better matched to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

yea good post IT

any news on when is next fight is scheduled

it seems like the hunter fight has been on the horizon for years...looks like we ll have to wait a little longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

just lately heard a little bit of news that the fight v pickering has gone for purse and should be staged by peters in dublin possibly november

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

From the EBU website re the pickering v dunne title fight "Deadline for purse offers or agreement : 11th October 2006 at 12noon" Hopefully we'l hear shortly after that the date and location for the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

lads, word is Dunne's next fight, which is likely to be Pickering, will be in the Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 damo.d

Its official November 11th in the point against Pickering?

If he knuckles down and box's like he can and keeps the showboating to a minimum,he should do it.

What do you guys think????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If it is in the point on Nov 11th I see the WWE are in the point the day after the Dunne fight, not much re-orginising needed there..

Any news on tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think if it goes the full distance Dunne will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

tickets from ticketmaster.ie, the point is a big venue, hopefully it sells out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i know bernard and he has a good chin-his showboating is against lesser oponents and will not happen against the top fighters-bernard has fought many top of the range fighters at amateur level and is only improving with full time training-he'll be no.1 in the near future..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yeah I agree I think Dunne is the real deal and is almost ready for a crack at the title, saw him fight last year in Dublin but needs to get out of Ireland and increase his profile. Another 2 years Dunne will be champ.

Advertisement