Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terror Attack on Ireland.

Options
  • 12-08-2006 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Our armed forces are not equipped to intercept or combat hijackers
    Our armed forces are not equipped to intercept or combat hijackers
    Irish Independent 12/08/2006
    ROBERT FISK
    Don Lavery

FIVE years after the 9/11 attacks, Ireland still has no means of intercepting a hijacked airliner - while the Government relies on Britain to come to our aid.

The Department of Defence yesterday confirmed it had no plans to acquire jet aircraft able to deal with a 9/11 scenario, saying we had a limited air-to-air capability and there was no change. Acquiring jet interceptors has been ruled out by Defence Minister Willie O'Dea on costs grounds and the low level of threat by Islamic terrorists here.

This is despite the 2003 Defence Forces annual report which points out that "the lack of air intercept capability has been identified and is currently under consideration".

However, that concern was dropped from subsequent reports, although some Army officers warned it was a serious deficit.

Other deficiencies include:

* Our anti-terrorist force, the Rangers, would have to drive on congested roads to get to an incident.

* Large transport helicopters were cancelled in cutbacks, though smaller helicopters will be delivered from November.

* We have no armed visible presence as a deterrent at our airports. * We have no air marshall training programme.

* We have no sniffer dogs for explosives at our airports.

* We have no central command to oversee a national disaster.

Defence Forces Chief of Staff, Lieut-Gen Jim Sreenan, admitted recently that the air defence issue was not a top priority. He preferred to see more armoured vehicles for the Army.

Ireland's only defence, apart from intelligence co-operation, relies on short range anti-aircraft guns and surface-to-air missiles to defend point targets such as Dublin Airport.

They include 24 Bofors EL-70 guns bought secondhand from the Royal Netherlands Air Force. They are guided by Flycatcher radar and have a range of 3.5kms, while six Bofors RBS-70 missile launchers have a range of 5kms.

Eight Pilatus turboprop trainers bought for €60m can be armed with machine guns and rockets but they are not fighter aircraft and would be unable to catch a jet airliner.

Defence Minister Willie O'Dea told Billy Timmins (FG) in the Dail recently that the threat to Ireland of an attack was low.

Mr Timmins said yesterday we should be prepared to spend some money on the safety of our citizens.

The percentage of GDP spent on defence had decreased dramatically.

Mr O'Dea's predecessor, Michael Smith, indicated that instead of acquiring an ability to defend our airspace with jets, Ireland would rely on Britain to come to our aid.

This was generally interpreted as Britain being asked to send Tornado F3 fighters on quick reaction alert on RAF bases to intercept a suspect airliner over Ireland. This has happened recently with two Irish airliners over Britain.

However, Mr O'Dea has said there is no formal arrangement with Britain The least expensive modern Western fighters, such as the Swedish SAAB Gripen and the French Dassault Rafale, cost around $65m each; while the new Eurofighter Typhoon coming into service with the RAF costs over $100m each.

But aviation sources said that, with most air forces downsizing, second-hand jets could cost considerably less. One company offered the Air Corps armed jet trainers at $1m each.

Its high time we went and bought 22 Eurofighters and invest in a proper military base in Shannon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Gimme a break. The people attacking Britain and America are attacking countries that are causing grief to them and theirs. Ireland scarcely falls into the same category!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

We are a prime location for a terror launch seeing that we are between England and USA.

eurofighter.jpg

Lets grow up and secure our air defences. The fact that we havent done already is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

luckat wrote:
    Gimme a break. The people attacking Britain and America are attacking countries that are causing grief to them and theirs. Ireland scarcely falls into the same category!

It doesnt matter, as mask said above we should protect ourselves due to our location. Personally id prefer if the money was invested in protection and prevention rather than sitting back and thinking ah sure were not directly involved so why bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Which public services do you propose the government cut back in order to buy these new jets?
    I would like to see a minimum number of jets bought for air cover, preferably second hand and the cheapest we can buy that’s up to the job and reliable. What I don't want to see is too many bought or a more expensive model bought when a cheaper alternative will do the job.

How much would it cost to buy 22 of the jets you suggest? Are 22 really necessary? How are the government realistically supposed to invest properly in Health / education / transport if we go mad buying military hardware. I don't know how many jets would be needed but 22 seems a lot considering we are a small Island and only really need them in the very unlikely event of intercepting an airliner which the RAF can't reach in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

End this bloody scaremongery.

We don't need a bigger military full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

What target are you hoping to defend with these jets? 9/11 consisted of destroying what were in their time the tallest buildings in the world. Any jets hijacked here would be used for attacking American or UK targets, and so would be passing over their territory before the incident.

Ireland's anti-terrorism strategy should focus on terrorism that might take place in Ireland. More destruction would be caused with a car bomb than a airplane, and with a lot less hassle. Ireland shouldn't just try and emulate the defenses the US/UK has, we have to defend our country with it's unique targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Maskhadov wrote:
    We are a prime location for a terror launch seeing that we are between England and USA.

eurofighter.jpg

Lets grow up and secure our air defences. The fact that we havent done already is a disgrace.

Not usre if we need the jets but we really ahve to beef up or airport security
    Eeven though we are insignificant in global power terms we are the weak link in Europe's securtity chain.
    If you want to launch an terror attack on the UK or US involving commercial aircraft just depart from any Irish airport and no one will blink an eyelid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I was listening to the Irish Times security correspondent on radio the other day and he said that there are known Al Queda members living in this country and the Gardai are hopeless at intelligence gathering. We dont even have medium lift helicopter for gods sake. He pointed out that Ireland is seen in European Intelligence circles as Europes weakest point. Its time for the Irish to grow some balls and take on their own security. No cutbacks would be nessacary for an injection of cash for the Air Corps and intelligence services. We really do have to grow up and take reponsibility as a society for our own security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

If I were a terrorist who wanted to make a political statement about my last act on this earth as a militant mujihideen, I think I'd consider an attack on Ireland comparable to fishing in bucket with my back to The Slaney, it begs the question 'why'.
    Now I understand there is little sense to the actions of these terrorists, but I sincerely doubt that they would misdirect their efforts onto such a vague, indifferent obscure target when Tony and Co. are perched next door.
    Our geographical proximities are probably making us more safe than many of our Western neighbours. I dont want to seem blunt, but why setlle for 'second best'?

As for Shannon, I suspect that most of these men probably know little or nothing about where the US military buy their Diesel (after it's exported from the Middle East, that is:rolleyes: )

Look, nobody can afford to be complacent, or at least dismissive of your suggestions. Perhaps it could happen. But I for one would be far more eager that if anything, perhaps they come to some sort of arrangement with the RAF in the event of an emergency. But if I were the RAF, I wouldnt hold my breath.

There are currently more more weighty domestic issues that need addressing.

darkman2 wrote:
    No cutbacks would be nessacary for an injection of cash for the Air Corps and intelligence services. We really do have to grow up and take reponsibility as a society for our own security.
    Have you any figures for that. I'm not convinced of any realistic threat to Ireland from a hijacked airliner crashing into one of our cities but if it was affordable to buy a few second hand jets just to cover our backs in a worst case scenario I wouldn't be opposed. Over the lifetime of the next Government, who ever is in power, things won’t be as rosy as now. It looks like the housing / construction boom could be coming to an end which is propping up our economy at the moment. Things could get very tight with public money and I wouldn't like to see any unnecessary military spending which would mean drastic cutbacks in other areas. If we were to increase military spending I think a few more naval vessels to patrol or waters and back up the coast guard would be a better investment.

How many jets would be needed to cover such a phantom threat and how advanced would they need to be? How many jets had the Americans got and that didn’t stop September 11th from happening (although they were given the morning off ;) ).
    Do you have any figures as to how much it would cost for x amount of jets by x manufacturer. Maybe we should ask the British and the Americans to donate us some jets free of charge seen as how they are the ones putting us in the line of fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't think throwing money at the aircorps would make any difference for security purposes (as stated any aircraft would crashed/exploded before it could be intercepted unless it was along way off over sea in which case the US or UK would have faster attack means anyway) but that should'nt preclude investing in decent intellegence gathering and collation.

Not to mention the emergency response if the sh1t did hit the fan.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Heyes wrote:
    It doesnt matter, as mask said above we should protect ourselves due to our location. Personally id prefer if the money was invested in protection and prevention rather than sitting back and thinking ah sure were not directly involved so why bother.

Exactly. We need better defences, even if a attack is unlikely, we should be able to fend for ourselves in the case of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

darkman2 wrote:
    I was listening to the Irish Times security correspondent on radio the other day and he said that there are known Al Queda members living in this country and the Gardai are hopeless at intelligence gathering. We dont even have medium lift helicopter for gods sake. He pointed out that Ireland is seen in European Intelligence circles as Europes weakest point. Its time for the Irish to grow some balls and take on their own security. No cutbacks would be nessacary for an injection of cash for the Air Corps and intelligence services. We really do have to grow up and take reponsibility as a society for our own security.

hang on..
    if what is stated above is true. Then why would they attack their "base"?
    Bit stupid to run a plane into Dublin and have the population up in arms about it if your hiding Al Qa'eda there. Especially if its your european "hub".

"We dont even have medium lift helicopter for gods sake."

would helicopters save us from an attack?

Look, even if we were some sort of illogical fanatical target, then all the airpower in the world wouldnt save us. Fighter jets just bring planes down in the end... they dont prevent loss of life.

A solution or even improvement could possibly would be to pump money into a well organised Harcourt street type operation but as we've seen from England recently intelligence doesnt really pan out the way it should, or gather what you would expect from it.

better security and tracking is the answer not armery and airpower. But it needs to be well organised.

Also could someone point out to me what our location has to do with anything? Honest question, I feel like im missing something....

bug wrote:
    Also could someone point out to me what our location has to do with anything? Honest question, I feel like im missing something....

I think people are of the opinion, as they have the right, to think that because we are geographically close to Britain, and our immigration policing is not exhaustive, we might be a potential target for a base, and maybe subsequent attacks.
    Personally, i would think our proximity is a saving grace. Why would anyone try make a militant statement here when Britain is an hour away?

As for us being in the middle of American and Britain, Im not sure what sort of danger that (symbolic?) position is supposed to put us in?
    originally postd by darkamn2
    I was listening to the Irish Times security correspondent on radio the other day and he said that there are known Al Queda members living in this country and the Gardai are hopeless at intelligence gathering

So where was he getting his intelligence?

bug wrote:
    hang on..
    if what is stated above is true. Then why would they attack their "base"?
    Bit stupid to run a plane into Dublin and have the population up in arms about it if your hiding Al Qa'eda there. Especially if its your european "hub".

"We dont even have medium lift helicopter for gods sake."

would helicopters save us from an attack?

Look, even if we were some sort of illogical fanatical target, then all the airpower in the world wouldnt save us. Fighter jets just bring planes down in the end... they dont prevent loss of life.

A solution or even improvement could possibly would be to pump money into a well organised Harcourt street type operation but as we've seen from England recently intelligence doesnt really pan out the way it should, or gather what you would expect from it.

better security and tracking is the answer not armery and airpower. But it needs to be well organised.

Thats very naieve. If you were a terrorist resident here and co-ordinating or aiding somehow a terrorist organisation in the UK or US (this is believed to be happening btw) where is the first place you would choose to hijack a plane?? The UK - no. The US - no. The Republic - yes - why? Because its the easiest option. Someone mentioned that you could probrably get something that could be used as a weapon on an aircraft here and no-one would blink an eyelid. Security here is definatley the most lax in Europe. You may say that wouldnt be an attack on us? It would because its highly likely Irish citizens would be on board in such an event. Also if something did happen what do you think the EU would tell us to so afterward? They make bloody well sure we got our house in order. The British imparticular have made their concerns clear about our lack of air capibility in recent years. This is a backdoor into Europe and its wide open.

darkman2 wrote:
    Thats very naieve. If you were a terrorist resident here and co-ordinating or aiding somehow a terrorist organisation in the UK or US (this is believed to be happening btw) where is the first place you would choose to hijack a plane?? The UK - no. The US - no. The Republic - yes - why? Because its the easiest option. Someone mentioned that you could probrably get something that could be used as a weapon on an aircraft here and no-one would blink an eyelid. Security here is definatley the most lax in Europe. You may say that wouldnt be an attack on us? It would because its highly likely Irish citizens would be on board in such an event. Also if something did happen what do you think the EU would tell us to so afterward? They make bloody well sure we got our house in order. The British imparticular have made their concerns clear about our lack of air capibility in recent years. This is a backdoor into Europe and its wide open.
    what has any of that got to do with buying fighter jets. Fighter jets wont stop a plane being hijacked here for the purpose of attacking Britian or the states and even if we had them all the Irish on board would be shot down and killed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

InFront wrote:
    As for us being in the middle of American and Britain, Im not sure what sort of danger that (symbolic?) position is supposed to put us in?

I don't think our position has anything to do with anything. I'd expect that the whole US planes refueling in Shannon would be a far more legitimate reason than something as arbitrary as our location. It's not as if terrorists are looking at a map, point at Ireland and saying "Let's hit that, 'cos it's between the US and UK!"

clown bag wrote:
    what has any of that got to do with buying fighter jets. Fighter jets wont stop a plane being hijacked here for the purpose of attacking Britian or the states and even if we had them all the Irish on board would be shot down and killed anyway.

There would be no alternative to shooting it down. Looking at it realistically once an aircraft is hijacked by Islamic fundementalists the ppl on board know their fate anyway. People are making the assertion here that a fighter jet couldnt be scrambled quick enough to intercept a hijacked aircraft. This is absolutely not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Who cares if they hijack a plane here to attack England?
    Thats their problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I bet our preparedness for a massive hurricane is pretty ****ty too, and I'd bet that there's higher odds of that hitting us than a massive terrorist attack

• Advertisement

InFront wrote:
    I think people are of the opinion, as they have the right, to think that because we are geographically close to Britain, and our immigration policing is not exhaustive, we might be a potential target for a base, and maybe subsequent attacks.
    Personally, i would think our proximity is a saving grace. Why would anyone try make a militant statement here when Britain is an hour away?

yeah, i see what you mean.
    But Im thinking.. don't sh*t on your own doorstep.. that is, if its a useful base to them, use it as such.
    InFront wrote:

nah neither do I except for irish people boarding a plane (as darkman said)...which could be bound for a target in america or england.

In which case obviosly putting an emphasis on security would serve better than arming us to the teeth or increasing airpower. I dont think thats naive.
    Sangre wrote:
    Who cares if they hijack a plane here to attack England?
    Thats their problem.
    I have to say that was my inital reaction too. But with Irish nationals on board... I wonder what the aftermath of that would be...apart from the obvious loss of life ...a new pro GB pro Israeli Bertie..

darkman2 wrote:
    Thats very naieve. If you were a terrorist resident here and co-ordinating or aiding somehow a terrorist organisation in the UK or US (this is believed to be happening btw)

By whom? (Im not doubting you, I just havent heard this.)
    Originally posted by darkman2
    Security here is definatley the most lax in Europe.

Again, what are you basing this on? Nightwish was on a flight today from France where she had this to say

I was allowed bring on all my hand luggage which included 2 bottles of wine, a book, mobile phone, keys and mp3 player and my boyfriend could bring on his laptop. Our flight was only from Carcassonne to Dublin

darkman2 wrote:
    People are making the assertion here that a fighter jet couldnt be scrambled quick enough to intercept a hijacked aircraft. This is absolutely not true.
    I’m no military expert but it looks improbable to me. If a plane departing from cork was hijacked with the intention of crashing into Dublin then they would only hijack it at the last minute when they are already approaching Dublin and Irish jets wouldn't be able to respond in time. (on 9/11the Americans knew they were under attack and still didn’t shoot anything down).

If a plane was hijacked departing Dublin to attack England the same thing would happen and the plane would only be taken over while approaching London. If it could be stopped the RAF would stop it. (If the terrorists gave them a head start of course)

If a plane was hijacked and we had a long distance warning that a plane was approaching over the Atlantic then the RAF would have that covered.

The only way an Irish jet could shoot down a plane is if the hijackers take control of the plane well in advance of actually crashing it. Why would they give us advanced warning?

I have to say that was my inital reaction too. But with Irish nationals on board... I wonder what the aftermath of that would be...apart from the obvious loss of life ...a new pro GB pro Israeli Bertie..
    And shooting this plane 'full of irish' down mid air is the way to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Who in Ireland is under threat?

The politicans from the scare-mongers.

InFront wrote:
    By whom? (Im not doubting you, I just havent heard this.)

Again, what are you basing this on? Nightwish was on a flight today from France where she had this to say

I dont know much about it either. There has been rumblings in recent years from the security services that they have concerns about, I think its 14 -20 individuals, resident in the Dublin area and their connection with Islamic fundamentalism. This is hardly supprising though given our sham immigration system in the late 90s imparticular. Really it was so shambolic that I doubt we have much of an idea of how many ppl who would be considered potential threats have either been here or remain in the state.

BTW what you said about intelligence. I agree 100% that we need to up our act in this area. I dont trust the Gardai in this area really.

democrates wrote:
    Who in Ireland is under threat?

from this thread as far as I can gather... anyone who gets on a plane?????

which, as far as I can gather should lead us to buy... lovely fighter jets...because thats going to make it all better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I'm staggerred at how easily people can be led.
    "We're not prepared for contingency X" - woooh!.
    Let's all get our military hats on. HELL YEAH! KICK ASS!
    As all the juvenile wannabe marines type in safety on their keyboards.

Ireland would make itself more secure against Islamic fundamentalists a lot more cheaply by using what we learned in NI, to be pro-active peace brokers in the middle-east. We can help these people. We can't solve the middle-east easily as NI amply demonstrates, but at least we can help in providing a path with hope for peace. Our failure to try to help is shameful, as the second richest country in the world, we've been there and done that, but now we're too busy getting rich, shameful.

• Advertisement

democrates wrote:
    I'm staggerred at how easily people can be led.
    "We're not prepared for contingency X" - woooh!.
    Let's all get our military hats on. HELL YEAH! KICK ASS!
    As all the juvenile wannabe marines type in safety on their keyboards..
    its funny cos its true
    Ireland would make itself more secure against Islamic fundamentalists a lot more cheaply by using what we learned in NI, to be pro-active peace brokers in the middle-east. We can help these people. We can't solve the middle-east easily as NI amply demonstrates, but at least we can help in providing a path with hope for peace. Our failure to try to help is shameful, as the second richest country in the world, we've been there and done that, but now we're too busy getting rich, shameful.
    Very true, and very shameful, but money seems to make the world go round. Apparently the economic US investment here is too much to put at stake to make a stand.

Advertisement