Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New machine advice lads

• 13-08-2006 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I posted here because i know more people here. Mods move if required.

Pissed off with my troublsome machine. Decided to build a new one. So i need a little advice.
    Going to go for 2 pci e cards.
    Whats the story with dual cpu's?
    Is it worth it?
    What is this dual cpu tecnology called with regards to choosing a motherboard?
    Do I need special cpu's for a dual cpu system?

Im planing ahead for 2142 and ETQW.

Im not looking to have my hand held here, just some opinions on building a machine using current technology/prices.

Wavey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I wouldn't be the best for giving out advice on this kinda stuff , but from what I have read , upgrading is probably a better idea at the moment rather than going for a complete new build . The amd prices are supposed to be dropping due to new tech coming on the market . Windows Vista is just around the corner . DirectX 10 cards are on the way . Kinda depends on what you have and what you have to spend . Judging by what the magazines are saying though I wouldn't go overboard on spending atm .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Quakewars is based on the quake 4 engine which uses muti-threaded coding. This means that it will play better on dual-cores then single, just like quake 4.

Conroe's/Core2duos are hard to find and require a motherboard and ram upgrade if you are coming from Amd 939 or any DDR based platform.But they are great Cpu's that have the performance advantage. The Amd X2's stand for great value for money on the lower ranges and are still good preformers. Both these cpu's use dual core technoligy. It means 2 seperate cores on 1 chip. 90% of Amd motherboards can take dual cores, Intel have only a few for the Core2duo line.

Sli/Crossfire is a waste of money, unless you are using 1600*1200 or above resolutions. The x1900 series from Ati have taken a huge price drop and are great value for money, they should have no problems playing either game at more than acceptable framerates on a single card.

Vista and newer games will demand 2 gigs minimum.

You would be better posting a budget, what you currently have and what you want to keep in the computers section to get a full parts list within your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks for the info lads.

Preliminary budget of 1800Euros.

The only thing i dont need is storage and PSU. I have a 500Watt Antec Smartpower. Im sure this would run 2off 7800's in SLI?

Should I be looking at DDR-Dimm or DDR 2 memory?

For the OS HDD wohich is better?
    SATA 2 7,200rpm
    or
    SATA 1 10,000rpm.

Thanks
    Wavey

Wavey wrote:

The only thing i dont need is storage and PSU. I have a 500Watt Antec Smartpower. Im sure this would run 2off 7800's in SLI?

Should I be looking at DDR-Dimm or DDR 2 memory?

For the OS HDD wohich is better?
    SATA 2 7,200rpm
    or
    SATA 1 10,000rpm.

Thanks
    Wavey

Psus should be grand, and if you dont want storage a 10k 74gig raptor is great for load times and windows in general.

DDR or DDR2 memory depends on what cpu you are buying. The older 939parts use DDR, the new AMD AM2 and Core2duo use DDR2.

Thx for all the help Krazy

With regards to sli.

Is it worth buying two 7600gt's or one 7900gt with ETQW and 2142 in mind?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

one 7900gt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Get a 7900gtx, I got mine for 410 off Ebay brand new, if ya want to get sli down the road pick up another 7900gtx for cheap, ya'll get ages out of a high-end card like that anyway, and ya good duel core processor to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Just make the feckin machine Vialli. It's been ongoing like forever now .Tis kinda boring.

:p

Want to pay for it? No? Well shut up then. :)

Omg he edited the blasphomy. :eek:

Reported posts show up the original content tbh.

:D

• Advertisement

No one likes a snitch tbh ;)

Yore a snitch.
    Yore ma's a snitch.
    Yore ma's sisters nephew is a snitch.
    Oh did i say that already.

:o

That all you got bitch? that all YOU GOT?? WHAT?? err, back to the topic, one high-end card is enough for the like of 2142 and ETQW, a decent CPU and 2 gigs of ram and yer flyin, oh, get an 590sli mobo chipset, tbh. :)

Stop spamming my thread!

Yeah I have gone with one 7900gt for now. No point going mad.

thank for the advice lads.

Advertisement