Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Shower

Options
  • 13-08-2006 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Any updates or information on the meteor shower tonight? Will there be good sightings from Kerry/Cork area? Has anybody seen anything yet?

Read about it here but it doesn't give times so any info would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Moved from weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

too cloudy here in north dublin for me to see anything :(
    anyone else see anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It was mostly cloudy here in Donegal too. Did manage to get a few clear patches though, some impressive shooting stars :)

Time I was out was around 12 - 4, think most of what I saw was before 2am (cloudy after that).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is not just the one night. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. They just peak around now. So even if it is cloudy, you still have as much as a couple of weeks to see a higher than normal amount of meteors in the sky. Any clear night will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I had a lucky break in the clouds last night. Half of the sky was clear, mostly north to the north east. I came out around 10:30-10:45 - I guess I gazed up for 10 minutes. I saw about 5-6 meteors streak across. It felt like 1 came in every 1-1.5 mins. To me it "looked" like they came in under Cassiopeia's W - ie the spot where I would notice them - a bit up and right from Perseus.
    Nice to see.

• Advertisement

We may be denied it by clouds again, but the aurora borealis, or northern lights to some of you, are expected tonight, due to some high activity on the sun in recent days.

The ISS is passing over regularly each night for a while now. I saw it tonight. Check www.heavens-above.com for times. They are always very accurate.

I saw the ISS again tonight, though this time by chance. I happened to be near a window. Even from there it is unmistakeable, as I have often seen it at this stage. Tonight has been clear. It may not be for the next few nghts, when it is due to cross over us again. Check the website for times.

I did a little bit of observing as it was somewhat clear tonight. At one stage while looking up I saw a fabulous meteor. It came straight from behind me and shot out straight in front of me, with a very clear tail behind it. A magnificent sight. There is something special about seeing something as dramatic as that, and yet not hear a sound.

Later I was looking at the constellation Aquarius with my binoculars when another meteor shot straight through my line of vision. I've had that happen before a few times. You don't see the meteor any better because it has come and gone in an instant. In fact you see less because you have only a small area of the sky visible to you. You can see them in all their glory with the naked eye. Binoculars and telescopes are good for comets, but not meteors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Might stick my head out for while tonight, its pretty clear.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement