Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Detector...

Options
  • 13-08-2006 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im looking for a basic metal detector just to get a feel for the hobby and see if i like it ....

And was wondering are those ones in the toy stores any good ?? If they are i will just get one of those but dont mind in the slightest getting a used one :)

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Erm... you may be in the wrong forum... try:

http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=116

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moved to DIY. But not sure it even belongs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

They aren't really much good. Might be lucky to find metal under 1cm of sand, but only if you know where it was... like I said not much good. Maplin have a good selection of more professional metal detectors.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Very doubtful if you could use it anywhere , with out breaking the law.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Have to agree with Kadman,

I think I read where you need the property owners permission and even that can be a problem if you interfere with what might have one day been an acrcheological dig.

Finders Keepers doesn't really apply anymore (passed 6 years old anyway).

• Advertisement

Under the monuments act 1994 I think , virtually any old item can be classed as an artifact by the curator of the museum in Dublin. Then you are up s....t...creek charged with using a metal detector on an archealogicla site.

I have had long and arduous discussions on the topic , with the folks who matter in Dublin.....museum, archealogical society. And the outcome was I never purchased my new 1500E detector, for fear of it being seized.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

I wouldn't have thought a metal detector can be illegal in and by itself, even if used illegally I don't think it'll be definitely confiscated, possibly only if the confiscators believe you will use it illegally again.

I would have thought you would be free to use one on a public beach, unless there's a specific law against it... I thought there were loads of people using them on beaches and finding wedding rings and whatever else...

This is only my two cents and I know nothing about this issue, I just a big fan of civil liberties and not allowing my rights to be infringed. :p

I love this smiley. :p , always using it. :p

Cheers
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Dbl post, sry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I've got one. Have had it for years. Just a basic model made by Viking. They have come down a lot in price in recent times. You are supposed to have a licence for them, which is obtained from Post Office in much the same way as a TV licence I believe but i've never bothered with it myself. I use it on the beaches around Dublin and have never had any problem with it. They work quite well, especially on sand as its far easier to dig the hole than in fields. Depending on the size of the object and the value of the metal, it will detect down to about 12 inches. ie, Gold will give a stronger signal than lead.

Some points if you get one:

-Get headphones with it. Especially if your on beach. The noise can be irritating to people sunbathing and more importantly you will get kids following you and digging a hole as soon as it beeps before you get a chance. Try and use it in a quiet place. Fill in all holes that you dig.

-You will find a lot of crap. You need great patience. View your use of it as exercise really. Don't expect to find treasure (not in the first 10 minutes anyway!)

-Get rechargeable batteries as they eat batteries. Switch it off while you are digging the hole.

-Spend as much time as possible deciding/researching where to use it. This is time well spent.

-Most people will start in their own garden, just to get a feel for it and learn how to use it. Be very careful when digging here and remember there may be oil/gas/sewage pipes. This is generally a waste of time, depending on where you live of course.

-Above all else, if you find something important, be responsible and hand it in to the appropriate authorities. The law is quite fair in this area and you won't go unrewarded. There are laws concerning 'treasure trove' which you should familiarise yourself with.

-Stay away from any recognised monuments. ie, Do not go and start digging the mound at Newgrange. It is a serious criminal offence to go digging around these (even fairy rings)and if you are caught time in jail is not unlikely. The law is quite severe for protection of monuments/historical sites. Always have the permission of landowners.

The only person liscenced to use a metal detector is an archealogist. You cant get a liscence from the post office.

Its an offence to use it on the beach , or within distance of any archealogical monument ect, which is decided by archealogists. So your local ball alley could be deemed to be or historical interest. You cant legally search the beach, underwater wrecks, the bog , according to the Monuments act, and the national museum.

Check it out, and beware

kadman

• Advertisement
Advertisement