Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs that remind you of Ireland

Options
  • 13-08-2006 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

You know when you're on holidays, and you get a wee bit tipsy and start to sing, what songs do you sing? Trying to compile a list here, so any help would be appreciated!

Here's what I'm guaranteed to try warble:

Wild Rover
    I'll tell me ma
    Fields of athenry
    Whiskey in the jar

and when i'm really drunk, the national anthem and the rugby song!

Anyone any others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved to Music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Fantastic. Another thread where people list off things (In this case songs) and nobody care, except to list off their own crap, and the result is nothing but post count +1. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Fantastic. Another thread where people list off things (In this case songs) and nobody care, except to list off their own crap, and the result is nothing but post count +1. :rolleyes:

What's the big deal?

Demetrius wrote:
    What's the big deal?

Because these kind of threads stiffle boards. Someone creates a thread about "Songs that X" then someone creates a thread about "Songs that Y" and then we've got "Song that Z" and it all amounts to a whole pile of spam that clogs up everything. It's the same with any "Best/Worst" threads, they just keep going, and all that ever comes out of it is post count ++ for the people who participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Some people like making lists. It's usually a male characteristic. I can see where you're coming from Karl Hungus (are you female by any chance?:) ) but I don't think it isn't doing anybody any harm.

OP, since there are people throwing firecrackers about in this estate and it's pouring rain and cool, I'd have to say "Dirty Old Town":)

Others would be Fairytale of New York (sp?) and My Lovely Horse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I usually go all nationalistic and start singing rebel songs for some bizare reason,
    That song "come out ye black and tans, c'mon and fight me like a man" is usually one of them. Apart form that, Aslan - Crazy World, Thin Lizzy - The Boys are back in town, and inexplicably Ce sera sera always makes an appearence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

A song for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

and all that ever comes out of it is post count ++ for the people who participate

so is that post count +2 for you? if you don't want to post, don't post! or even worse, don't post telling us you don't want to post!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

She Sells sanctuary (for some odd reason) It was all over the shop for italia 90 or usa 94

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Anto McC wrote:
    A song for Ireland
    as soon as i saw the thread i thought of this song but i see u got there before me anto mcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Your just mad theres no Irish oriented death metal :)

Anyway for me

House of Pain- Jump Around (only one member of HOP actually had any Irish roots, the other guy was of Italian and heritage and the third dude was born in the ex soviet union before emigrating with his family to the US iirc. But its still classic drunken Irishness :) )
    U2- With or Without You, Sunday Bloody Sunday. Ah Sunday Bloody Sunday, which has people with little or no republican interest shouting "BRITS OUT!" during Bonos "sing NO MORE!" bit after a few too many :D
    The Fields of Athenry. Ditto. Everyone pissed and pretending to care about the ra
    The Dubliners- The Town I Loved So Well. One of my favourite songs of all time, can nearly bring a tear to the eye.
    The Pogues- Fairytale of New York. How could you not include this. Is there really a better drunken arms around each others shoulders pull a bird anthem than this?
    The Irish Rover. Pissed out of the brain classiticity
    Dirty Old Town. Again, classic
    We`re All Part of Jackies Army. It can be amended for whatever the current football atmosphere is, replace Jackie with Staunton, Italy with Austria/Switzerland and World Cup with Euro Cup and yiv got a classic blaring again 16 years on.

It says alot about this country that all the above songs are best enjoyed when severely drunk, and a large proportion of the people who wrote/performed them were probably drunk at the time.

rugbug86 wrote:
    if you don't want to post, don't post! or even worse, don't post telling us you don't want to post!

I'm not sure how anyone with half a brain could have confused what I've said for that. Re-read my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah it's a bloody tragedy! It's great to see you preaching at people and being at the vanguard of cutting out these postcount ++ threads especially considering you only posted 1,012 times on the "What Rock/Metal/Punk song are you listening to now? " thread before shutting it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

I'm not sure how anyone with half a brain could have confused what I've said for that. Re-read my post.
    i did re-read your post, i was curious about songs, that is all, since when is that a crime?

what i was saying is that you contributed nothing to the thread, while complaining about people only posting here to ++ postcount, when that is all that you were doing.

Advertisement